20w50 apologist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
'88 420SEL is running 20W-50 Chevron Supreme as we "speak"...

Cheers!

p.s. Ran two 50/50 mixes of MaxLife & SynPower 20W-50 in the '91 for a total of 15K and had no problems what-so-ever: this was when they were both available @ $0.99/quart after rebate.

I've ran 20w50 in the past, depending on application. I even ran some in my 2000 Corolla which has VVT-i, in an attempt to slow consumption. Didn't really notice any difference, motor ran and sounded fine.

In fact, my mechanic that I use sometimes swears by 20w50. He uses it in Towncars that call for 5w20. Those motors go 300-500K no problem.

I don't use it much now, unless oil burning is an issue. I may use it in the F100 next OCI, as the oil pressure is on the low side(according to dummy gauge).

The Rover Likes it, but may slow it down a little , as a matter of fact 20-50 was recommended recommended for my temps by the owners manual.
I will be changing to 10-40 soon though as that is also a recommended weight with a little less drag.

Otherwise I think it is a little too thick for modern engines. unless consumption or shearing is an issue.

WillyPete,

Saw Amsoil 20w50 in your signature. I've coveted that stuff for years - figure it's gotta be some of the stoutest oils available.

With my 20w50 top off in the Sienna, its sounding/feeling just fine in these brutal temps. Been a "thin oil guy" in the Sienna for a while - but I'm liking this change up especially this summer.

I have been very happy with the 20-50 and all of Amsoil's products been using them for years.
I started running 20-50 when it began to overheat in summer traffic and I wanted an extra margin of protection. I had the engine open at 135k to install the cam and remedy the overheating issues. The cylinder walls still had crosshatching and the machinist that did my head work said the valves and guides were in great shape. These engines are prone to sludge but the oil pan was clean on mine.
Now that the cam has broken in and the overheating is gone I am switching back to 10-40. Depending on my results I may go back

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
A '63 Bug that only used 1/2 qt of oil in 7k?? And on the highway?
You have a record breaking world beating marvel there!

+1.

I run 20W-50 in my '69 VW Bus most of the year. 10W-40 in the coldest months. Been doing it for years on the advice of some VW Bus gurus.

Originally Posted By: panthermike

I don't use it much now, unless oil burning is an issue. I may use it in the F100 next OCI, as the oil pressure is on the low side(according to dummy gauge).

As long as there is enough pressure to close the contact in the dummy gauge sending unit, no oil is going to change the reading...

I use to use 20-50 Arco Graphite in my 1981 Chevy Citation with auto 2.8 V-6 year round. Drove it for 140,000+ miles, sold it to my uncle. He drove it for a few yrs. then gave it to his girlfriend. She drove it for a few more yrs. She sold it to someone else. Probly the worst oil you could possible imagine and it didn't hurt a thing! Most on here would rather shoot themselves in the crotch than run that oil. Heck, I'm still running 1985 oil w/o a problem. Run it and don't worry so much about it my friend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
A '63 Bug that only used 1/2 qt of oil in 7k?? And on the highway?
You have a record breaking world beating marvel there!

I didn't think it was THAT unusual. My '60 Type II and my '68 Type III burned up about twice that amount of 10W40 as I recall. On that particular trip, the Red Baron and I avoided the interstates wherever possible and ran 50-55 on the two-lanes. We changed the oil around Barstow, CA at around 4K. My top-off bottle was at around half after the complete trip.

Oil changes on those older bugs should be at about 1,500 miles.
Maybe that covered up a lot of oil use.

Oil changes on those older bugs should be at about 1,500 miles.
Maybe that covered up a lot of oil use.

Good point. I think my owner's manual said up to a quart in 1000 miles was "normal" but usually they didn't burn that much.
But without a filter, they needed pretty frequent oil changes.
I put a filter on mine and run 3000-ish, but probably use 3/4 quart in that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back