20w-50 vs 5w-50 Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using a 15w-40 and started to consume just a bit of oil (.5 liter/600 miles). Puff of smoke on startup and take off (only sometimes on the take off). Car is turbo with 170k on the clock. Valve stem seals are probably shot. I have already done the A-Rx (2 treatments with great results)a year ago. So, I put in some old 20w-50 Schaeffer's I had. I thought I was out, but luckily had 4 quarts. About 3 days into 20w-50, no more puffs of smoke--at all. Engine is quieter. I can't hear the turbo spool anymore...I can't really feel the difference in spoolup time, it still pulls, but quieter...weird.

Ok, so yes, the 20w-50 seems to have worked. Would the Syntec 5w-50 work as well, or do I simply require a thicker "base" oil to not run down the valve stems after shutdown?

I went through steps in viscosity on a Honda Civic from 5w-30 to 20w-50 over 21 years to keep oil consmption down. It looks like you have found an oil that works and I'd stick with it, especially if really cold weather is not a consideration. Stick with the Schaeffers. You have been lucky enough to solve your problem, quickly.

??? I must be real new, I didn't know your motor-oil had anything to do with the turbo-spooling.
pat.gif

Think about how a turbo works a thicker oil will fill the larger "Wear" space in the bearing and cushion better . At 170,000 miles there is some wear on the turbo bearing and seals.

Hard to say...you'd have to try it and find out. All I know is I had less consumption with M-1 15-50 than I have with Syntec 5-50. Never tried a 20w-50 though...

Thanks all!
cheers.gif

I hope to get a couple of years out of the car, then maybe I'll rebuild the engine.

For now, it's my daily driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back