20W-50 in a 2.3 non turbo Saab

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to try 20W-50 Valvoline AllClimate in my Saab with 177,000 km (100,000 miles)> Do you guys think this would be ok to use during summer moths here temps are around 30 C or 90-95 F.
My manual allows 10W-40 and 15W-40, the timing gear in Saabs has been known to "dislike" thin oils so it looks like it would ok. Any answers greatly appreciated.

Go to Walmart and pick up Delvac 1300 15W40 for $5.88 a gallon or Delo 400 15W40 for a dollar more! They will protect better then Valvoline 20W50.

Dominik:
Forget those heavy oils in your Saab. I also have a 2.3 litre Saab engine, normally aspirated, it it LOVES GC, Delvac1 (now available as Mobil SUV, and Amsoil 5 or 10W-40. Have no experience with Shaeffers, but trust me, DON'T use 20-50, or 15-40. I tried a 15W-40 Diesel and passenger car oil during an AutoRx rinse, and the Saab 2.3 lieter engine wants nothing to do with it. The car ran like an absolute dog.

And not just in my car, either. I know other friends who have tried the 15W-40 weight oils just to do a quick clean of the engine, and the engine just doesn't perform as it does with a 30 weight oil.

I just went to a 15w-40 from a 5w-40 and startup clatter increased dramatically. This is in a high mileage (126K miles) Rover engine designed with large bearing clearances and low pressure/high volume oiling. It was smooth and quiet on the 5w-40 (Shell Rotella T Syn).

We live in Texas and no one I know uses 20w-50 and its HOT here.

Personally I would not run a thick oil for high temperature protection in a modern engine design. The benefits of modern thinner oils at startup, engine temperature, faster circulation, etc outweigh a thicker oil's possible high temp benefits. You don't need a thick oil in high mileage engines unless you have a lot of bearing wear - doubtful if you've regularly serviced your car. You can verify the bearing wear by checking oil pressure on a hot engine at a specified (by the mfg's) rpm using the mfg's recommended oil viscosity grade. Google the Saab newsgroups for specs.

The reason why I would like to try 20W-50 in my engine is because I read posts on Saabnet.com (BTW I think I saw posts there by Eiron, is that same Eiron?)that timing gear on Saabs is sensitive to oils and has been known to break when the X-W30 oils are used, and I also happen to have 10 quarts of 20W-50 on hand. The car is quite old '96 with 177,000 km, and untill recently it has been fed Mobil 1 5W-30, and Syntec 10W-30, last oil in it was the GC only once it was filled with Mobil 1 15W-50 and I saw no change in mileage, the engine was much quieter, power hmmm....I can't tell. It consumes obout 0.25litre per 5000km (about 1/4 quart per 3000 miles) so it looks like all these CAFE oils did not hurt it much but, still I am tempted to try the racers grade (20W-50) this summer to prevent something nasty

Hi Dominik,

It sounds like you're looking for something a little more reasonably priced than a premium full syn? I like Too Slick's suggestion (in the other thread) of PC's 5W-40 Grp3 full syn or 15W-40 syn blend. (You could also use something like Shell's Rotella Syn 5W-40, which isn't too expensive for a Grp3 oil.)

I'm not sure why the 2.3L would dislike a 15W- or 20W- oil any more than the older/weaker 2.0L n/a engines would (but then, I've never owned one of the 2.3Ls). I wouldn't run it below 0°C, but the nice thing is that you could give it a try, & it's not a ton of money lost if you have to dump it early 'cuz the car's unhappy. My '90 2.0L C900 is currently running a 15W-40 HDMO & is doing great.

Yes, that's me.
smile.gif
I haven't heard of that "oil vs timing gear" claim. Both my '90 & '85 C900s have used 10W-30 oils for between 120,000 to 150,000 miles & both have that grade listed in the owner's manuals, so I don't know where that info would've come from.

Like the others have said, I don't think you need to worry that something bad's going to happen if you continue to use any xW-30 oils. And my only concern on using up your 20W-50 stock is if your car's a turbo. If it is, then I'd either use it in a different car or sell it/give it away. If you want to use it in a turbo engine, I'd say mix it 50/50 with some premium full syn & don't run it any longer than 10k km.

Otherwise, I don't see why you couldn't use it up over the summer. Heck, you might even mix in a quart or two of 5W-30 just to thin it out for Fall & Spring use.

quote:

timing gear on Saabs is sensitive to oils and has been known to break when the X-W30 oils are used

Sounds like urban legend stuff to me, though I'm not a Saab guy.

20W-50 is much thicker than you need. If you want to go with a heavier oil, 15W-40 is as thick as I would go.

Maybe you can sell your stash of Valvoline 20W-50 on ebay as "Rare, New Old Stock"
shocked.gif
!

John

[ June 09, 2004, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: jthorner ]

quote:

Originally posted by Eiron:
... my only concern on using up your 20W-50 stock is if your car's a turbo. If it is, then I'd either use it in a different car or sell it/give it away. If you want to use it in a turbo engine, I'd say mix it 50/50 with some premium full syn & don't run it any longer than 10k km. ...

-
pat.gif
-

OK, I just realized the title says it's a non-turbo.
rolleyes.gif
Does that mean I'm now alert enough to enjoy my weekend?

cheers.gif

When I lived in Colorado (Boulder, in fact), I used Delvac 5-40, or Amsoil 5 or 10/30 primarily. Used Mobil 0-40, and it's ok, but my Saab 2.3 just flat out "felt" better with the above oils. Those oils were used year round, BTW.

Now that I'm in SoCal, and I've found GC, I'm using it. And I like it a lot. I don't know why others report a loss in mileage using it, or that their engines seem sluggish, but my doesn't. It did, however, appear that way with the 1st application of GC, but after about I changed to the 2nd application, I haven't had that experience at all.

I'd still recommend avoiding 15-40 or 20-50 oils in the Saab 2.3 NA engine. Too much resistance to flow.

I believe your motor is a prime candidate for the green (SLX). It will give you a little more of the viscosity that you seem to want (it's a "thick" 30W) but with rapid oil flow at engine start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back