20k miles OCI on the wife's car M1 0W30

Well I have been so busy in the last year and a half I did not change the oil in that time period and I checked the oil tonight and it did not read on the dip stick. I know the car burns about 1/2 quart in 7000 miles since it was new. I scratched my head and checked the log book and it was changed in Jan 2020 with about 50k miles on it. It has about 70k on it now. I put a quart in it and just barely got to the tip of the dip stick. I am going to change it tomorrow. So I hope I have not done any damage. It is a 2016 Mazda CX5. It has been a great car and so has my 2016 Mazda 3. We moved in that period of time and I did a lot of sight prep to get ready for that move and we had to hurry out of our place of 20 yrs. The reminder had not been set either. I told the wife if I never drive your car, I don't think about maintenance on it. She is going to have to get better at checking the log book about every 6 months. I guess the tires need rotating as well.

A quart low ? No issue at all. Don't give it a second thought, but change it pretty soon !

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the dipstick I suppose....

If he was talking about the very end of the dipstick then he was very low. The sump holds five quarts. I’m guessing there was less than two quarts in the sump.

I’m surprised the engine isn’t making noise.

...with 20K on the oil no less While I know that today's oils are very 'capable'... I wouldn't want to be the next owner.

Now that I read that adding one quart brought it up to the tip of the dipstick I think it may be even worse than that.

Perry, We all get busy....been there done that. Open the calendar on your smart phone and put in some quarterly reminders to check on maintenance due on your cars. It is a good reminder to you to open the owners manual and review the maintenance interval charts and recommendations. This method works well for me and also serves as reminder for me to review my oil and filter inventories so that I know what I have on hand and what I need to acquire and watch any sales for.

I think it will be fine. Not happy but car will survive. I expect to put at least 200k on it before it dies. I think it was about 2 quartz low. The wife babies it. She gets 30 MPG and it is only rated for about 25. Oil has been changed at less than 10k before this so I think I am good. I have always run about 10k on M1 and put 270 k on my ranger and engine looked new inside. Put 200k on Subaru and sold it to a buddy and he is still driving it. 10k OCI on both.

Maybe it’s my OCD, but checking the oil and a quick visual on everything under the hood is part of my Post-fill-up ritual at the pumps……..whether it needs it or not.
And I would have to drive it to check it at the pump LOL.

Do a few short (3k miles) oil changes to clean it out a little. Rotate the tires every 5k. Change the differential fluid every 30-40k. Don't neglect the vehicle or you'll have to buy a new one and good luck in this market.

Back