20k mile oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of all cars, it's the new ones that can easily go the distance. The engine is clean, there's no sludge or varnish that the oil has to fight (spending valuable resources) so instead it can spend more time "focusing", if you will, on extended intervals.

Once the engine ages and becomes dirty, keeping the TBN of the oil high enough becomes more difficult, IMO.

This is a ridiculous thread.

There are some vehicles, and some oils that can. Big rigs, for example, with many gallons of oil capacity, can do it easily.

OP, you'd better clarify your question if you want helpful answers.

Depends on oil, on engine, on application. I do 20k on M1 EP, GC and Amsoil (in past) with Panthers, 5k on a 1.8 DOHC Mazda Protege '98 and GIII oil, 5k on anything on Lexus LX. Too many variables for an easy answer.

It was not unusual for the computer to recommend 18K miles on my '05 Mini Cooper I bought new. BMW seems to say yes. That being said I sold it in Nov '09 with a head gasket problem after following that computer to the t.

European car can. Well, 18750 miles which is close to 20k. Whenever I lease a new car in Europe, the owners manual says to change the oil every 30k kilometers.

Twentyfive years ago, I had a boss who was a firm believer in M1. He would change the oil in his Honda Civic once a year, every spring. That Civic would go way over 20k a year, sometimes 25k, but my boss would only change it once a year. However, he would change the filter every 8k miles, then add a little M1 to make up for what was lost in the filter.

Yes when I mean cars I am referring to cars such as the 2012 Focus, 2012 Civic, 2012 Impala, etc... I have heard people getting an average of 10k-15k miles between oil changes, according to their oil life monitor. I myself change the oil in my car(2001 Grand Am GT) once a year(every Thanksgiving) with Mobil 1 5w30 EP and lately I have been averaging 10k miles a year on my vehicle.

If you use the right oil and if you have the right engine and if you drive highway miles, 20K is certainly realistic.
If I drove 1K each week, which might yet happen if I have to take another position in another location to remain employed, I'd be all over Amsoil SSO and you'd see my posts in the UOA forum.
I may have a large stash (including some Amsoil), but I doubt I'd want to change more often in weeks elapsed just because I'm driving more miles, especially during the long, cold winter.
In short, for the mainly highway driven car, 20K seems quite doable, although the oil used would have to have pretty good TBN retention.

Technically, any car can do a 20k OCI on any oil. The real question is how many times in a row can it do it?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: 07Wolfie
Technically, any car can do a 20k OCI on any oil. The real question is how many times in a row can it do it?
grin.gif

X2

Originally Posted By: someguy
Why void a new car warranty with something as simple and cheap as an oil change?

X2

I recall an old mech illustrated where Castrol were approached by Ford for a lifetime fill for their 25,000 mile disposable car concept...what oil would last 25,000 miles in a disposable car. Said Castrol..."our oil, if you are throwing it out at 25,000 miles, then that's what you get".

Mobil, years ago showed that M1 had "40,000 km protection", by driving an M1 filled commodore from Sydney to Perth and back, etc. All in one consecutive trip (Super Drop, IIRC did 20,000km).

Talking to Mobil Techs around 10 years ago about my RV-6 4Runner, about how long I could run M1 (specifically 0W-40).

Once through the warranty discussion, they admitted 12 months, whether it was 5,000km, or 40,000km (25,000 miles)

Do your miles quick enough, and it's achievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back