$20k for a 4 year old Saturn??

Status
Not open for further replies.
EBay needs an alert on this. I smell a big rat.

A couple of years ago someone was trying to sell a Mercedes-Benz that had been completely wrecked in a movie (can't recall which) and was asking nearly $20K. Looking at the pictures would tell anybody that the car could never be made right nor running again. The seller apparently thought that because it had been wrecked on screen that it was worth a lot.

The lad appears to use "boiler plate" written content. No doubt that every car placed on eBay will be the ONE to have due to all the wonderful stuplendous things about it.

Anybody signed up with CarFax? If so, how 'bout running the VIN?

1G8ZY12772Z217845

VIN 1G8ZY12772Z217845
Year/Make/Model: 2002 SATURN SC2
Body Style: COUPE 3 DR
Engine Type: 1.9L L4 SFI DOHC 16V
Manufactured In: UNITED STATES
Search Results: 15 records found in our database

Hmmmmmm.... one entry for initial sale when new.

COuld the thing have been in 14 wrecks? Or, 11 wrecks and 3 different owners? Maybe 12 different owners 2 wrecks and 1 reported as stolen but abandoned after the thief realized it was a piece of junk?

The imagination runs WILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The wrecking/salvage/junk-yards I worked at preferred the NADA used car guides for whatever reason. Peeking at the NADA web site:

2002 Saturn S Series-4 Cyl. Coupe 3D SC2

marked all the options the eBay dude posted:

Average Trade-In Average Retail
Base Price $7,125 $8,800
Mileage - 30,000 miles $700 $700
Options

Aluminum/Alloy Wheels $175 $200
Cruise Control (Std. SC2) $125 $150
Leather Seats $225 $250
Power Door Locks (Std. SC2) $100 $125
Power Sunroof $375 $425
Power Windows (Std. SC2) $125 $150

TOTAL PRICE $8,950 $10,800*

If I recall NADA figures are based upon selling prices inputted by members; new and used auto dealers from across the USA.

The figures shown are variable and not set in stone, variations abound but seldom are the deviations a HUGE number.

NADA does add this caveat:

* Based on a clean vehicle history report

Here's the link to the main page if yah' wanna' play with it:

http://www2.nadaguides.com/home.aspx?l=1&w=28&p=0&f=5000

quote:

Originally posted by obbop:
The lad appears to use "boiler plate" written content. No doubt that every car placed on eBay will be the ONE to have due to all the wonderful stuplendous things about it.

Anybody signed up with CarFax? If so, how 'bout running the VIN?

1G8ZY12772Z217845

VIN 1G8ZY12772Z217845
Year/Make/Model: 2002 SATURN SC2
Body Style: COUPE 3 DR
Engine Type: 1.9L L4 SFI DOHC 16V
Manufactured In: UNITED STATES
Search Results: 15 records found in our database

Hmmmmmm.... one entry for initial sale when new.

COuld the thing have been in 14 wrecks? Or, 11 wrecks and 3 different owners? Maybe 12 different owners 2 wrecks and 1 reported as stolen but abandoned after the thief realized it was a piece of junk?

The imagination runs WILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A record does not always indicate a change of ownership or a wreck; mostly they are as mundane as a state inspection. I have even seen oil changes show up on a very small handful of Car Fax reports (I guess some places report that for some reason).

15 records is a pretty high number for such a new car though.

As for the price of that car, to quote Rick James, "cocaine is a **** of a drug."

Thanks to all for taking the initiative to set this guy straight.

Seems odd that he didn't notice that he had $20,000 as the starting bid. Did he not proofread his own auction? Heck, we're not selling a Tonka truck here!

It will be fun to keep a close eye on this auction now
smile.gif

"I took a good look at his ad and bid on it. You might notice that the high bid is now up to 50 cents."

Well.... let's get a bidding war going.

I'm gonna push it up to 75-cents.

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
Check out Carmax for ridiculous everyday prices. They are selling 2005 models for more $$$ than I paid for a new car (2006).

yeah but they trick women and softies into thinking they did right and got a good deal, because they had 'one less thing to negotiate'.

Blah!

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by obbop:
"I took a good look at his ad and bid on it. You might notice that the high bid is now up to 50 cents."

Well.... let's get a bidding war going.

I'm gonna push it up to 75-cents.

Looks like you got in a bidding war with yourself.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
The guy responded nicely:

I updated description and price, thank you for looking. The car comes with rebuilt title. It was involved in minor left rear collision.

Rebuilt title for "minor" left-rear collision?

I think that means damage to the Petebuilt that he collided with was minor.

All kidding aside, I took a good look at his ad and bid on it. You might notice that the high bid is now up to 50 cents.

I also noticed that I didn't meet the minumum price and he has a buy it now price of $4800 now, so I probably won't get it.

[ September 17, 2006, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: XS650 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back