20hp Kohler in a Terramite backhoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an older Terramite T5C backhoe with a Kohler 20hp twin. I have been using it quite a bit lately and in the hot weather I was wondering if it might be a good idea to run synthetic in it? I run the engine a full throttle most of the time as its a bit underpowered.

Anyone have any thoughts? The engine runs OK and I have no issues with it, just want a little added security.

Thanks.

what do you run in it now? 30wt? 15w-40?

Id be sure to run at least a straight 30wt or a 15w-40, in order to assure good shear stability.

Te diesel oil's add packs tend to do well there too.

Beyond that, Amsoil ACD is a synthetic oil that is essentially a HD 30wt that flows like a 10w-30, and has a diesel add pack. Can't really complain about that one.

Others seem to like rotella 5w-40, and of course delvac 1 is really robust.

Id stay away from the 10w-30 or 5w-30 conventionals, the only dino oils Id run are a straight 30 or 40wt, or a standard 15w-40 HDEO.

What does the manual recommend? Does it have a viscosity/temperature chart?

JMH

My dad has always had great success with M1 10w30 in lawn equipment that says "Use SAE30."

Also, in some Tractor Supply stores, I have seen some synthetic oil with Kohler as the brand name. I suppose that would be fine to use if you are nervous about using something other than SAE30, and need reassurance from the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back