2024 BMW i5

I wonder if Mazda’s front and rear suspension and subframes look like bimmer’s? Here is BMW’s:

Front suspension: all aluminum
IMG_1756.png

Rear subframe and diff: all aluminum
IMG_1751.png

Front subframe: all aluminum
IMG_1753.png

Lets’s see Mazada’s😁😁😉

I don't see that many around here, the few I see are Tesla. Seeing that BMW offering, and some of the other offerings, from a style and look perspective Tesla looks are not impressive at all. Tesla is the king of the jungle, the lion, but a pack of Hyhenas can take out a lion. Or death can occur from a thousand cuts. My point is a lot can change over the next few years. Listening to the news last night, a new candidate for the 2024 election might change things and extend the life of ICE while we work to get an obsolete grid ready for the change. Interesting times are ahead.
Sometimes it’s easy to forget in this forum that less than 2% of vehicles on American roads are electric.
You are correct but let me add something it’s not “a lot can change” it would be more accurate to say a lot is going to change.

Tesla is the leader of electric vehicles at the present time yet that lead is fading fast, they are the underdog in the automotive world and in a very precarious position due to the fact they only produce electric vehicles.

That world that is about to be overrun/swamped with the same product and many, many more design options and sizes from manufacturers all over the world.

The BMW looks sharp, people don’t have to agree but might have vision problems if they think those other cars are similar. 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Sometimes it’s easy to forget in this forum that less than 2% of vehicles on American roads are electric.
You are correct but let me add something it’s not “a lot can change” it would be more accurate to say a lot is going to change.

Tesla is the leader of electric vehicles at the present time yet that lead is fading fast, they are the underdog in the automotive world and in a very precarious position due to the fact they only produce electric vehicles.

That world that is about to be overrun/swamped with the same product and many, many more design options and sizes from manufacturers all over the world.

The BMW looks sharp, people don’t have to agree but might have vision problems if they think those other cars are similar. 🤣🤣🤣
To be fair the only thing Tesla can do is lose market share if they owned the market before anyone else entered the market. I don't see any way anyone else would unseat them in anything other a big city if the current charging network is the limiting factor. I never had problems finding charging with Tesla, but if I take Tesla out of the equation that basically removes all fast charging. If I round tripped to LaCrosse from home (300 miles) I would be screwed if I drove anything other than a Tesla. If I went with one of Kias offerings, say the EV6 GT which I like a lot, I'd be stuck with level 2 and with it's 210 or so mile range, I'd have to charge for 3 hours on level 2 to get home if I left home on a full charge. It's a 10 minute stop in the Model 3. That's a real problem and the people who say that EVs aren't ready for prime time are probably seeing situations such as this. The proposition of the difficulty of dealing with EV becomes almost nonexistent with Tesla, aside from towing which I find to be useless with any EV. I really don't know what the motivation is with buying something other than Tesla if someone is covering a lot of miles unless their trip does work with current charging in their area and I see if being an issue if their use dramatically changes and the current network doesn't align with it. The only level 3 charging I have in my area for non Tesla is my current town, Milwaukee and Madison for my standard trips. The problem is that I can round trip to any of these locations except LaCrosse. I literally cannot protect my position with my job on the LaCrosse trip with any EV that does not wear a Tesla badge unless the range is well over 300, or possibly 350 if it's cold. Then again I still daily a 4 cylinder turbo, but I'm a bit attached to it and I'm not ready to replace it.

*edit* I just realized this after I submitted this post, but I'm sure someone would mention level 2 would work if I was charging at a hotel during my stay in LaCrosse. Yes, that's true, but the hotel I'm lodged in isn't my choice and the company hotel does not have any EV charging. Even more so sometimes I'm instructed to return home and not offered a hotel and would have no choice but to stop to charge to get home. They aren't going to reset my rest time for me when I stop for 3 hours to charge, so that'll take away from the comfort of me sleeping in my own bed at home to be rested for my next call. I'm given 10 hours rest plus a set travel time, so LaCrosse to home gives me 12 hours. Less than 9 hours including my drive because I had to stop to charge doesn't give much time to relax beyond sleeping and woken up by the phone.

Last edited:
To be fair the only thing Tesla can do is lose market share if they owned the market before anyone else entered the market. I don't see any way anyone else would unseat them in anything other a big city if the current charging network is the limiting factor. I never had problems finding charging with Tesla, but if I take Tesla out of the equation that basically removes all fast charging. If I round tripped to LaCrosse from home (300 miles) I would be screwed if I drove anything other than a Tesla. If I went with one of Kias offerings, say the EV6 GT which I like a lot, I'd be stuck with level 2 and with it's 210 or so mile range, I'd have to charge for 3 hours on level 2 to get home if I left home on a full charge. It's a 10 minute stop in the Model 3. That's a real problem and the people who say that EVs aren't ready for prime time are probably seeing situations such as this. The proposition of the difficulty of dealing with EV becomes almost nonexistent with Tesla, aside from towing which I find to be useless with any EV. I really don't know what the motivation is with buying something other than Tesla if someone is covering a lot of miles unless their trip does work with current charging in their area and I see if being an issue if their use dramatically changes and the current network doesn't align with it. The only level 3 charging I have in my area for non Tesla is my current town, Milwaukee and Madison for my standard trips. The problem is that I can round trip to any of these locations except LaCrosse. I literally cannot protect my position with my job on the LaCrosse trip with any EV that does not wear a Tesla badge unless the range is well over 300, or possibly 350 if it's cold. Then again I still daily a 4 cylinder turbo, but I'm a bit attached to it and I'm not ready to replace it.
Yes correct about market share, I preach the same thing but the other way around. Since Tesla started producing EVs when no one else was of course they had massive growth, all they had to do was go from nothing to where they are now. Gosh all I heard for years was this subject.
Its like any product, it's easy to have 1000's percent growth if the product was never made before. That is now about to end.

"You dont know what the motivation is for buying something other than Tesla" The answer is simple for some.
Size of a car, cost of a car, looks of a car and dealer network and how they like a car (or truck) determines what someone wants. I personally am turned off by the looks, I cant shake this personal preference/feeling of a "generic" look to Tesla.

I dont find them exciting to look at. Like a disposable Bic lighter of decades ago. They are the style of the decade to some and I see it as the Jordache Jeans of the 80's. Im only typing all this as we all have reasons for what we buy. Vehicles have been around a way long time, even EVs 100 years ago. I see Tesla as the Jordache Jean, flaming out of fame UNLESS they come up with something other than 4 door compact cars. This is going to be quite apparent to them in the next 12 months, 24 months if they dont do something the stock will finally decline to where it belongs. :unsure: (maybe)

Also the media shine wears off over time, doesnt matter if true or not, just so you know I am posting this from another thread in here. Just because I am, doesnt mean I agree, I just analyze things, no position as if I think someone should own one, we like what we like.
I see someone jsut posted something about Ford using Tesla super chargers in 2025?
We are in an infancy, all this stuff will be the equal of of Windows 95 Computer in another decade. Todays EVs will be obsolete or soon to be by then.

Last edited:
Introduced along with a new ICE 5-Series.

Two models:
i5 eDrive40. ~ $68k
i5 M60 xDrive ~$85k

400v, 84.3 kWh usable, 205 kw peak charging.

eDrive40: Est. 295 mile range, 335 HP, RWD, 5.7 sec 0-60MPH

M60: Est. 256 mile range, 590 HP, AWD, 3.7 sec 0-60 MPH

Not sure which models these are, but is BMW back to making good looking cars?! 🤞

View attachment 157574

View attachment 157575

View attachment 157576

View attachment 157577
Does it come with a gas motor?

Yes correct about market share, I preach the same thing but the other way around. Since Tesla started producing EVs when no one else was of course they had massive growth, all they had to do was go from nothing to where they are now. Gosh all I heard for years was this subject.
Its like any product, it's easy to have 1000's percent growth if the product was never made before. That is now about to end.

"You dont know what the motivation is for buying something other than Tesla" The answer is simple for some.
Size of a car, cost of a car, looks of a car and dealer network and how they like a car (or truck) determines what someone wants. I personally am turned off by the looks, I cant shake this personal preference/feeling of a "generic" look to Tesla.

I dont find them exciting to look at. Like a disposable Bic lighter of decades ago. They are the style of the decade to some and I see it as the Jordache Jeans of the 80's. Im only typing all this as we all have reasons for what we buy. Vehicles have been around a way long time, even EVs 100 years ago. I see Tesla as the Jordache Jean, flaming out of fame UNLESS they come up with something other than 4 door compact cars. This is going to be quite apparent to them in the next 12 months, 24 months if they dont do something the stock will finally decline to where it belongs. :unsure: (maybe)

Also the media shine wears off over time, doesnt matter if true or not, just so you know I am posting this from another thread in here. Just because I am, doesnt mean I agree, I just analyze things, no position as if I think someone should own one, we like what we like.
I see someone jsut posted something about Ford using Tesla super chargers in 2025?
We are in an infancy, all this stuff will be the equal of of Windows 95 Computer in another decade. Todays EVs will be obsolete or soon to be by then.

Styling is subjective of course and if it doesn't speak to you I really can't sell it to you. I think because the designs were stolen from the design language of Aston Martin, they speak to me louder than nearly everything else. The Model S in particular has perfect proportions in nearly every way. If you look at the DB7 and DB9 you'll see a lot of influence in the Model S. That wasn't by accident. That said if it's not for you, it's not for you. The Model 3 which I own I don't feel is modeled quite as well as the Model S, but I just can't wrap my mind around $90k for a car even if I felt I could afford the payment.

Tesla continue to take market share from every major car company.

Alarmguy is right though. They can't get too comfortable making the same cars for 10+ years though. Don't get me wrong they still look modern enough for now, but no matter how good the tech gets if the cars look too dated looking it'll hurt sales figures. I feel like they're dancing a line that will either pay off or hurt them in the end. Like he said if you separate it out by EVs it looks like they're losing market share, but that's not the whole story. The whole EV market continues to grow and Tesla doesn't seem to be selling less cars.

Alarmguy is right though. They can't get too comfortable making the same cars for 10+ years though. Don't get me wrong they still look modern enough for now, but no matter how good the tech gets if the cars look too dated looking it'll hurt sales figures. I feel like they're dancing a line that will either pay off or hurt them in the end. Like he said if you separate it out by EVs it looks like they're losing market share, but that's not the whole story. The whole EV market continues to grow and Tesla doesn't seem to be selling less cars.
No. Only considering the EV market is myopic. Tesla is in the car business. They sell more than BMW and MBZ combined.

I don't disagree with you on this. Interesting on how it's all playing out.
No. Only considering the EV market is myopic. Tesla is in the car business. They sell more than BMW and MBZ combined.
Huh? What does pulling a car company randomly to make a point that Tesla sells more?
Kind of bizarre to me. More so with a grossly inaccurate statement such as this.

Like you say this is the car business, Just an FYI BMW sold over one million more cars last year than Tesla (1,000,000) How do you get they sold more than BMW but even if they did, which they didnt, what does that have to do with anything that we are talking about in this thread?

The luxury status and construction of a BMW compared to a Tesla is not even in the same ballpark. Two completely different class of cars. You make a statement that Tesla sold more cars than BMW and MBZ, yet BMW by itself sold one million more cars than Tesla.

Tesla 1.3 million sold
BMW 2.4 million sold

But who cares? Different class of cars, Guess what?
Honda sells ten times more motorcycles than Harley Davidson but most people in the USA dont want to ride a Honda moped.

I just dont understand your posts sometimes. Normally I dont reply but your claim about Tesla car sales is not even close to correct.

Last edited:
The new BMW's look over styled. At least they did away with the giant beaver teeth looking grills. I agree that other than the dated but still attractive Model S, Tesla is in dire need of some talented designers who will come up with refreshed and attractive Model 3's and Model Y's.

I see quite a few Rivians on the road now and also the Lucid Air vehicles are becoming more common. If there are any EV Cadillacs around I haven't noticed. Teslas are fairly ubiquitous even in my town of around 4000 people. The people who buy them because they are the best and they have the confidence in buying from a maker with the most experience still outweighs those who won't buy one because they hate Elon Musk. We'll see what the market share looks like in 5 years. If Tesla succeeds in marketing a sub-$30k model and there are refreshed Model 3's and Model Y's and even an SUV about the size of the popular mid sized models from most makers, it's Katy bar the door for the competition. They will be lucky to capture 40% of the market divided five ways.

The announcement yesterday that Ford EV's will be able to use the Tesla Superchargers next year is good news. The other makers better get on the stick and make similar engineering changes to their EV's or they will be left behind.

Huh? What does pulling a car company randomly to make a point that Tesla sells more?
Kind of bizarre to me. More so with a grossly inaccurate statement such as this.

Like you say this is the car business, Just an FYI BMW sold over one million more cars last year than Tesla (1,000,000) How do you get they sold more than BMW but even if they did, which they didnt, what does that have to do with anything that we are talking about in this thread?

The luxury status and construction of a BMW compared to a Tesla is not even in the same ballpark. Two completely different class of cars. You make a statement that Tesla sold more cars than BMW and MBZ, yet BMW by itself sold one million more cars than Tesla.

Tesla 1.3 million sold
BMW 2.4 million sold

But who cares? Different class of cars, Guess what?
Honda sells ten times more motorcycles than Harley Davidson but most people in the USA dont want to ride a Honda moped.

I just dont understand your posts sometimes. Normally I dont reply but your claim about Tesla car sales is not even close to correct.
@alarmguy is right; I should have qualified my sales statement. Tesla outsold BMW and MBZ combined in the US for 2023 Q1.
It is pertinent because some people think Tesla's market share is dwindling when by numbers it is growing. And doing so with basically only 2 cars, the Y and 3. Achieving Corolla numbers with an expensive vehicle is no small feat.

Last edited:
In 2030 all cars would look the same due to aerodynamics....

They’ve always looked similar, the way balls from various sports do. It is shocking. After the above comparison of Accord to 5 series, I’ve started to notice that humans look alike too! Bipedal, upright, with 2 arms and a head! It’s a brilliant discovery! 😂

Let’s see, in 1930s cars looked alike! 😱
IMG_2443.jpeg

In 1950s they also looked eerily similar:
IMG_2442.jpeg

And in 1970s:
IMG_2444.jpeg

This is just nuts! Here is Ford and Merc looking nearly the same from the 70s as well:
IMG_2438.png

Any idea why is this the case and how is this possible? 🤔🤔🤔

I wonder if airbus A350 looks kind of like Boeing 777?
You’ve got to be kidding me!:
IMG_2446.png

While we’re at it, notice submarines look alike? 😂

We live in a strange world….
IMG_2448.jpg

Last edited:
Back