2023 Toyota GR Corolla

True awd, ability to set 50/50 or rear biased power split, and manual transmission sealed the deal for me. It’s still a bit heavy for my taste but the rest makes up for it. Bolt ons and a tune should push this to over 350hp, light wheels and a a spare set of sticky tires and this thing is an ideal daily/track car, basically a new age Evo. Might be the first new car I ever buy.

Considering the GR Yaris is equivalent to $39K in other markets, this GR Corolla will probably be north of $40K [similar to the Civic Type-R]. The pricing and the manual only transmission will limit the marketability.

It's great to see Toyota having some fun and throwing this out there for enthusiasts. People that want one will buy them up for a year or two, and then it will disappear.

My guess is they already have other 3 cyl engines for the platform and they already have the huge turbo setup for other engine, so they might as well toss them together for a 3 cyl big turbo like how Mitsubishi did with Evo.

Maybe 3 is cheaper than 4 after you factoring in all the fixed cost like turbo, intercooler, etc? Maybe it is lame to use a 4 cyl low boost turbo? or maybe fuel economy when not driven hard is better on the 3?

That thing looks ridiculous, IMO..

interesting engineering though. A 1.6L 3 cyl is kind of neat. Not sure why they did that vs a small 4 cyl,since they know how to make those really well for the last few decades.
Welcome to the 90s, VTEC kick in Yo!

I love pretty much everything about this. 3 cylinders sound amazing, 7K redline, good power, manual, cool modern tech like radar cruise, a real handbrake, proper AWD system that can actually send more than 50 percent to the rear, big brakes, made in Japan, no obese CUV/SUV/Truck or "rugged" styling like the new WRX, and it's actually a real Toyota product.
Normally I’d be hesitant to buy a first-year model, especially a high-performance car. But I wouldn’t worry about it with Toyota.

Id be confident that they’d take care of what ever problems I had to my satisfaction.

Normally I’d be hesitant to buy a first-year model, especially a high-performance car. But I wouldn’t worry about it with Toyota.

Id be confident that they’d take care of what ever problems I had to my satisfaction.
I dunno, RAV4 hybrid gas tank issues come to mind, along with Tundra woes. Methinks Toyota has fallen a notch here.

I dunno, RAV4 hybrid gas tank issues come to mind, along with Tundra woes. Methinks Toyota has fallen a notch here.
I agree. I think, especially with the Tundra, Toyota has alway aimed small, relativly speaking, in regards to volume and success compared to other manufacturers like GM, Ford, and Dodge, which allowed them to hone their vehicle reliability to the standard it became.

Unfortunately, as that reputation grew, so did volume and success....and pressure to release updated vehicles in addititon to their previous reliability to compete and bring more volume to satisfy growing wants. In the process, they began to get sloppy. The new Tundra is a disaster as far as issues with the new Turbo and other things keeping new Tundra owners' vehicles in the repair shop. I think they swung and missed.

Now, knowing Toyota, hopefully, within a couple of years they get the issues worked out and restore that faith that many of us previous owners relied upon. When I wanted a new truck, I went with a different manufacturer because of the initial Tundra issues and because it is butt-ugly.

Time will tell...

I’m definitely interested in the Circuit Edition- assuming that the actual performance is as good as the specs indicate; 300 hp with Torsten diffs front and rear as well as 3 pedals. I kept hoping the rumored 300 hp AWD MS3 would see production so perhaps this is deja vu all over again.

Looks like a real winner to me. Decent performance, AWD, decent looks, and some function too.

View attachment 94730
Subaru dropping the sti Ford no longer has the st focus I guess vw better watch out lol. They're a bit late in the hot hatch world.

Maybe 3 is cheaper than 4 after you factoring in all the fixed cost like turbo, intercooler, etc? Maybe it is lame to use a 4 cyl low boost turbo? or maybe fuel economy when not driven hard is better on the 3?
Think Yamaha CP3 motorcycle engine, while it is not turbo, it is a cheaper compact alternative to the classic 4-cylinder. I would assume they are also lighter. I do know for sure that they sound absolutely amazing!

Watched a review last night and as I recall available in three colors: red, white or gray.
If you are buying this car you know what you are getting into, and you are not going to be swayed by your girlfriend's opinion on color.

I've never heard people complained about Evo's color and buy another car because of the color.

If you are buying this car you know what you are getting into, and you are not going to be swayed by your girlfriend's opinion on color.

I've never heard people complained about Evo's color and buy another car because of the color.
I wasn't complaining just fyi and thought it was interesting. Esp having some new Corollas in the family.

Back