2023 Ford Super Duty can tow 40,000-lbs.

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
Full-size truck specs are getting way out of hand. Seriously. As evidence, take the 2023 Ford Super Duty lineup, which is available with up to 1,200 lb-ft of torque from the PowerStroke diesel engine, and when the right option boxes are ticked, you’ll be able to tow 40,000 lbs with a fifth-wheel. That’s ridiculous, particularly considering that the Blue Oval will sell one of these things to any geek off the street with no special license or qualifications required.

Wonder what this statement from the article means "The days of full-size trucks being powerful penalty boxes are long gone, and the 23 F-250, 350 and 450 are evidence of that."? Powerful penalty box- no clue what the author is implying,

Will be interesting to see how the updated 23 Silverado Vs this truck slugs it out. Insane competition going on, that's for sure.

Wonder what this statement from the article means "The days of full-size trucks being powerful penalty boxes are long gone, and the 23 F-250, 350 and 450 are evidence of that."? Powerful penalty box- no clue what the author is implying,
Bare, no frills. Now, they have good interiors, wifi, 5G, etc. it literally mentions it right before that part.

Of course, while the headline figures are impressive enough, there are also a bunch of other updates that should improve the quality of life of the maniacs who buy these things. For example, the new Super Duty will get over-the-air software updates and comes with built-in 5G wi-fi.

I believe to tow over 10k pounds in many states will require a CDL, especially across state lines.

Towing 40k lbs is easy, my 7.3 could have probably managed it.
Now stopping 40k is a whole 'nother part of the story. This is where I have issues with these kind of wars between the companies.

I tow a lot, brakes for me are always the #1 issue. I see to many giant 5th wheels on these trucks and it just looks crazy to me.

I can imagine a goofball flying down Donner Pass with a 40K pound trailer having electric brakes. The owners manual should discuss runaway ramps.

Towing 40k lbs is easy, my 7.3 could have probably managed it.
Now stopping 40k is a whole 'nother part of the story. This is where I have issues with these kind of wars between the companies.

I tow a lot, brakes for me are always the #1 issue. I see to many giant 5th wheels on these trucks and it just looks crazy to me.
Finally, words from someone with experience. It's not about how quickly you can get the load to move, it's about how quickly you can get the load to stop moving. That part is far more important.
Also, being able to steer the load is a nice capability, too.

In Texas, any combination above 26.001lbs (and that's rated capacity ie truck and trailer max tagged weight) requires a Class A license, you can get a class A non CDL, which is what I have and most people do a double take if they notice it. I get the impression it is not well known though and even most police are unaware and or do not care. I got mine when trying to be in the right for my farm tagged 4500 Ram and PJ dump trailer with tandem dual 12k's, although just about any 350/250 with a tandem dual trailer (or super singles) would legally be in this territory as well. I would haul 11+ tons of gravel or sand with this rig, stopped fine with the electric over hyd disc brakes on the trailer. (total weight out of scales 42k+)

Another interesting point as I've been pulled over by commercial vehicle enforcement in the past, they only care about tire rated weight and tag weight, nothing else (unless of course a bridge restriction or whatever the total non-hiwide special permit weight which I believe it 80k)

Last edited:
I'm thinking that means that the older trucks were powerful but not very comfortable or luxurious, with newer trucks having much higher levels of comfort and luxury available.

Back