2023 Cadillac Lyriq E car

In my version of the article above I received a pop up ad customized to my area. It advertised a $1000 bonus if you factory order a new Ford Ranger. It looks like orders have become the new way to sell vehicles ( or maybe bringing in an old way that used to exist). My 2008 Burb was actually a factory order.
That's because they don't have anything in stock on their lots.

One reason I sold my 2020 car was the headlight cost, and they were LED no bulbs. About a thousand dollars per side, discounted price. Rear turn signals, $310 per side discount price, plus install. I had to buy one due to light bump and it cracked the lens, installed it myself. No aftermarket cheapos available. One parking lot bump, or years in the sun, break out a thousand. Not including time, installation, or tax.
Right now I am happy driving what a neighbor calls “jalopies.” Manual windows and locks on the T100, and the door handle inside is right there where the hand knows it ought to be in an emergency. A blind person could get out without thinking where is the cotton pickin handle as the car catches fire.
I guess a headlight on a Lyriq is over a thousand plus you know it is going to be a whole new bumper to match given the design.

Last edited:
Sold out for 2023.
They are sold out, because GM can not produce many. Despite big plans and wild claims, to "produce", what is actually happening is disgusting. It is good that production has started, and the first customer examples already off the line. I'm hearing insiders saying that less than 100 per month can currently be made, with the hope to ramp up to about 3000 total by years end. However, it is not looking good for high production rates. The batteries, wiring and chips are simply not available.

I'm guessing they will deliver 1000 by years end.

If it is not yet clear, American car manufacturers used to be able to crank out hundreds of thousands of vehicles with rapid initial production. Due to various constraints, manufacturers can now only produce hundreds.

Last edited:
They are sold out, because GM can not produce many. Despite big plans and wild claims, to "produce", what is actually happening is disgusting. It is good that production has started, and the first customer examples already off the line. I'm hearing insiders saying that less than 100 per month can currently be made, with the hope to ramp up to about 3000 total by years end. However, it is not looking good for high production rates. The batteries, wiring and chips are simply not available.

I'm guessing they will deliver 1000 by years end.

If it is not yet clear, American car manufacturers used to be able to crank out hundreds of thousands of vehicles with rapid initial production. Due to various constraints, manufacturers can now only produce hundreds.

Why is it “disgusting”? The Lyriq actually started production about 9 months early. It was originally planned for late 2022.

One of the main elements of the Ultium program is in-house battery manufacturing (just like Tesla). The first of FOUR GM battery plants opens late this summer, right on schedule. It was never in the plans to have mass production of Ultium cars until the Ultium battery plants started running.

I’m betting these numbers will look massively different in 2-3 years. GM will be opening their fourth US battery plant about the same time Ford and Stellantis are opening their first.

Ford is playing the “short game” by using battery suppliers, GM is playing the long game by generally skipping suppliers, but that takes more time to ramp-up.

Why is it “disgusting”? The Lyriq actually started production about 9 months early. It was originally planned for late 2022.

One of the main elements of the Ultium program is in-house battery manufacturing (just like Tesla). The first of FOUR GM battery plants opens late this summer, right on schedule. It was never in the plans to have mass production of Ultium cars until the Ultium battery plants started running.

I’m betting these numbers will look massively different in 2-3 years. GM will be opening their fourth US battery plant about the same time Ford and Stellantis are opening their first.

Ford is playing the “short game” by using battery suppliers, GM is playing the long game by generally skipping suppliers, but that takes more time to ramp-up.
GM is currently using LG batteries, the upcoming plants will be LG/GM plants. GM, like other manufacturers, can't currently source enough batteries. Despite GM's big plans, they have yet to produce any cells. Also, despite claims of proprietary design, superiority, and high energy density, they are simply stacked, large format pouch cells, subject to bloat and cooling difficulties. So far, GM has not done well with pouch cells.

GM is currently using LG batteries, the upcoming plants will be LG/GM plants. GM, like other manufacturers, can't currently source enough batteries. Despite GM's big plans, they have yet to produce any cells. Also, despite claims of proprietary design, superiority, and high energy density, they are simply stacked, large format pouch cells, subject to bloat and cooling difficulties. So far, GM has not done well with pouch cells.

But again, the “big plans” were never to be producing cells by now. They’ve been advertising opening the Warren Ohio Ultium Cells plant in August 2022 for a long time.

Last edited:
Back