2022 Volvo S60 B5 AWD - UOA - First oil change ~9200 miles.

This is my first oil change on the car. Driven relatively hard in AZ heat (after ~1k miles). I was curious about 0W20 and the 10k OCI. Seems to be alright. Thank you to Volvo Cars of Gilbert for excellent service. The car has been great. I will be getting a 2023 soon and will probably dump the factory fill at ~1k or 2k just to flush down some wear metals. I haven't seen much Volvo content on here so I decided to post. Thanks!

111.jpeg

Screenshot from 2022-08-18 18.19.43.jpeg

222.jpeg

333.jpeg

Last edited:
Sounds like the 2022 is just starting to get broken in; any reason why you're swapping it after just a year or less?

Great looking car. It's a shame they've gotten very complicated and expensive to work on though. Are you leasing or buying?

I don't normally see Manganese on UOAs. Is this coming from the oil or the engine?
It is an odd one - it won't be from the oil so could be from some alloy in the engine. My main experience seeing Mn in oil samples is in ships burning heavy fuel oil, which contains Mn and V in notable amounts.

Or it could be an ICP calibration error.

Sounds like the 2022 is just starting to get broken in; any reason why you're swapping it after just a year or less?
I am doing the program called Volvo Care and it makes sense to swap before registration is due as long as they have the cars.

Great looking car. It's a shame they've gotten very complicated and expensive to work on though. Are you leasing or buying?
It is their program called Volvo Care. It is a 24 month 15k mile/yr lease with an end/vehicle swap option at month 5 and a $25k buyout after 24. This program is a fairly rare thing but it is really amazing. All maintenance and even brakes and excess wear and tear and full vehicle insurance and registration are included. I guess it really only makes sense if you don't have a family or any other cars or a house (for insurance combo discount). I don't have any of those things. I am going to stay on the program as long as they have it available to me. It basically makes the most sense to change vehicles every year to avoid paying a registration fee unnecessarily.

It is an odd one - it won't be from the oil so could be from some alloy in the engine. My main experience seeing Mn in oil samples is in ships burning heavy fuel oil, which contains Mn and V in notable amounts.

Or it could be an ICP calibration error.
I think it is from a fuel/octane enhancer called MMT:

"Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT) is a gasoline octane enhancer produced by the Afton Chemical Corporation (Afton), formerly known as the Ethyl Corporation. MMT is allowed in U.S. gasoline at a level equivalent to 1/32 grams per gallon manganese (gpg Mn)."

Shows up as Manganese in the tests.

I think it is from a fuel/octane enhancer called MMT:

"Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT) is a gasoline octane enhancer produced by the Afton Chemical Corporation (Afton), formerly known as the Ethyl Corporation. MMT is allowed in U.S. gasoline at a level equivalent to 1/32 grams per gallon manganese (gpg Mn)."

Shows up as Manganese in the tests.
OK, that makes sense, although it's not something I recall seeing at this level before so either there's more here than usual (fuel dilution?) or it's not routinely tested for. Or it's an ICP calibration error.

Back