2022 Toyota Tundra Coil Spring Rear Suspension Confirmed

What's wrong with coil springs?

As people have proven with the Dodge trucks (1500, 2500) with coils, you have to have airbags if you want to do real towing. Otherwise they squat horribly. And you can't put a slide in camper in one.

Luckily for most, trucks are a status symbol and will never see a trailer or heavy load

As people have proven with the Dodge trucks (1500, 2500) with coils, you have to have airbags if you want to do real towing. Otherwise they squat horribly. And you can't put a slide in camper in one.

Luckily for most, trucks are a status symbol and will never see a trailer or heavy load
As long as you keep the tongue weight reasonable it's fine. We tow boats regularly with our 1500 and it does a fantastic job and doesn't drop in the rear much at all. Now, if I had like a skid steer on a float? Yeah, I'd expect it would squat pretty good and airbags would be required.

im pretty sure the aftermarket 4x4 suspension parts suppliers will get on supplying higher rated springs and lift kits for this new market, they also have those air bags that would add to the carrying capacity and eleviate the rear end crouching under load

Now we know why truck prices keep rising. People that don't need them buy them.
Seen it in the 70's with Vans- The groupies flocked to them and the prices went crazy for the poor construction guy.

Show me a squatting truck (any brand) and I will show you someone not using a weight-distributing hitch or not adjusted correctly. BTW-most half tons cannot handle a slide in camper due to PAYLOAD numbers.

What do you define as "real towing" anyway? Most 1/2 ton's have a payload rating in the 1400-1800 ft lb range. After adding a family of 4 and cargo, you're probably maxed out in the 6000-8000 lb range.

What do you define as "real towing" anyway? Most 1/2 ton's have a payload rating in the 1400-1800 ft lb range. After adding a family of 4 and cargo, you're probably maxed out in the 6000-8000 lb range.
Critic-the issue is the manufacturers towing ratings have no relationship to payload. I have stated on Silverado forums many times-that the "sweet spot" for MOST half-tons for towing is between 5,000 and 5,500 pounds. And there are many choices, for example of travel trailers in this weight range. This way you have some payload left. Most guys want to buy a "condo on wheels" because the manufacturer says the truck can tow close to 10,000 pounds-and if they buy a trailer spec'ed this heavy they ultimately get a bigger truck. I have seen this scenario play out over and over again on various truck boards.

How does this differ from GM, Ford, RAM, or even Nissan? Is the alternative a Leaf spring? I dont know much about pickups. What are the pros and cons of coil springs and the alternatives to them?

As far as squatting goes it wouldn't matter if the springs were coils, leafs, torsion bars, metal, plastic (corvette), what matters is the Spring Rate. Higher or lower payload configs will have different spring rates. If it is not an air spring you have to set one rate.

Ride quality could improve with a rear coil vs leaf if its all designed well. Tundra going coils could be really good. Will they be able to match other brands fuel economy is the bigger question.

As far as squatting goes it wouldn't matter if the springs were coils, leafs, torsion bars, metal, plastic (corvette), what matters is the Spring Rate. Higher or lower payload configs will have different spring rates. If it is not an air spring you have to set one rate.

Ride quality could improve with a rear coil vs leaf if its all designed well. Tundra going coils could be really good. Will they be able to match other brands fuel economy is the bigger question.
It's the job of a weight distributing hitch to spread the weight among ALL AXLES to prevent squat. This includes the front axle of the truck and some weight ( 20% to as much as 33%) on to the axles of a dual axle trailer.

As stated earlier-it MUST BE PROPERLY ADJUSTED to avoid squat.

Back