2022 Subaru Crosstrek LTD 2.5 Engine - Pure1 Oil Filter

Thanks Zee, this is good info. If the Pure1 failed, my recourse would be against Purolator, I am thinking.

Thanks Zee, this is good info. If the Pure1 failed, my recourse would be against Purolator, I am thinking.
Yes, that's how all the big brand aftermarket filter makers work, and state in their warranty statement, that if it can be proven that their filter failed and caused engine damage. Keep in mind that if you used a filter that wasn't specified by them for you vehicle (ie, you "over-sized" the filter), then that will give them an excuse to deny warranty. Or if you didn't use their filter per your manufacture's maintenance recommendations would also give them an out.

Purolator's filter warranty statement.

They even go this far:
"Use of motor oil other than the viscosity and type as recommended by the manufacturer of the engine or equipment"

Being under warranty, I would have used an OEM Subaru branded filter. That way there is no finger pointing should some internal engine problem would occur during the warranty period.

I didn't see it mentioned but it is my understanding OEM is a Fram cellulose media filter....is it a ExtraGuard? Or a specific run for a Subaru spec? Not sure and thought you may know. I'd give my experience but my 17 Subaru OB is a 3.6 so not the same!

Good Evening Board,

After spending considerable time researching and learning a lot about oil filters from the this board (invaluable information), I opted for the Purolator Pure1 filter for my Subaru.

My reasons were:
1. Excellent filtering abilities, 99% at 20 microns.
2. The bypass rating of 20-30 psi, which is in the range of the OEM spec (still not certain how important that is). :unsure:
3. Made in America

I was considering the Subaru OEM, Wix and Purolator. I like the Wix also, but it wasn’t made in America, and I always try to lean to homegrown products, keeps Americans in jobs.

Thanks,

RevRider
Your plan seems sound to me. The P1 is a perfectly fine filter.
The Amsoil should be as good as any API certified oil I’d think.

Thank you to all for taking the time to respond, I value all of the feedback. :)

Honestly, I don’t think I am being stubborn, just trying to get the best product for the car. The OEM filter doesn’t release filtering specs, so that is an unknown.

My understanding is and I am willing to be corrected, the Asian car manufacturers have a less efficient filtering specification vs the aftermarket folks. And I do think cleaner oil is better for the engine, as long as it doesn’t interrupt flow.

As a consumer, I value transparency of product details.

RevRider

Zee, I read their warranty in detail, and you are totally correct on their “out-clauses.” I suspect that companies will look to deny coverage if at all possible.

The absolute safe decision is to use the OEM product and have the dealer do the service - but, hope the dealer personnel do the right job.

The last time I had a oil service done by a ”professional shop,” it was 2005. It was a disaster. They forgot to put the oil in, and it ruined my engine in my 1989 Astro Van, I’ve never let someone change my oil since then.

I didn't see it mentioned but it is my understanding OEM is a Fram cellulose media filter....is it a ExtraGuard? Or a specific run for a Subaru spec? Not sure and thought you may know. I'd give my experience but my 17 Subaru OB is a 3.6 so not the same!
Yes, it is made by Fram. From what I have seen, the Subaru filter appears to be better in quality than an Extra Guard (more media). I have a used blue Subie filter that I have been wanting to cut open when I get ambitous enough.

Doesn't seem to be as rampant as before, but not many here use them and do C&Ps much, so hard to get a good sampling.

Just make sure the louvers are opened up pretty good in the center tube. Seen some that looked pretty closed.
Is the engine going to last any longer using an OEM filter versus Purolator? I highly doubt it by using either one.

I have seen far fewer negative threads with Fram products than Purolator. For that reason, that is why I used the blue Subie filter and I just didn't want any finger pointing should the engine have an internal issue during the warranty period.. I was getting the filter and plug washer at the dealer for around $5.50 for both. Hard to beat.

I love the duality of bitog.

You have simultaneous hand-wringing about poor dealer service and about warranty denial.

Bunch of paranoia.

OP, you chose a great filter and a great oil.

As an update, I went to the Subaru dealer today to pick up a couple of the Oil Plug Washers, asked him the cost of the Subaru OEM product, he said they were $9.00 each. I asked to see one, it was blue, but no Subaru logo or anything on it, just blue. It had a black anti-drain valve, and a plastic (at least it looked plastic to me) cage for the center tube. Was not impressed at all, and I am thinking it's not the real Subaru OEM Blue Filter made by Fram.

I am coming up to my first oil change in the next week or so, I get free ones from the dealer for the 1st 2 years, but I don't feel comfortable at all with the non-descript supposed OEM oil filter.

Thoughts?

As an update, I went to the Subaru dealer today to pick up a couple of the Oil Plug Washers, asked him the cost of the Subaru OEM product, he said they were $9.00 each. I asked to see one, it was blue, but no Subaru logo or anything on it, just blue.
Strange for sure. What manufactuer for OEM filters doesn't put the OEM brand (Subaru in this case) on the filter?

Zee, that's what I thought also. The filters were not in a box or even wrapped with plastic around them - left me with a very bad feeling.

Zee, that's what I thought also. The filters were not in a box or even wrapped with plastic around them - left me with a very bad feeling.
Could have been sold in bulk to the dealership. But if they were just plain blue without any Subaru logo, etc on them I'd be wondering what they were too. Was there any writing on them?

Nothing at all, completely unmarked, including the top of the filter. And, I am thinking Fram doesn’t use the plastic cage core either.

Back