2022 Subaru Crosstrek LTD 2.5 Engine - Pure1 Oil Filter

Good Evening Board,

After spending considerable time researching and learning a lot about oil filters from the this board (invaluable information), I opted for the Purolator Pure1 filter for my Subaru.

My reasons were:
1. Excellent filtering abilities, 99% at 20 microns.
2. The bypass rating of 20-30 psi, which is in the range of the OEM spec (still not certain how important that is). :unsure:
3. Made in America

I was considering the Subaru OEM, Wix and Purolator. I like the Wix also, but it wasn’t made in America, and I always try to lean to homegrown products, keeps Americans in jobs.

Thanks,

RevRider

Are the filter tears a pandemic event?
Doesn't seem to be as rampant as before, but not many here use them and do C&Ps much, so hard to get a good sampling.

Just make sure the louvers are opened up pretty good in the center tube. Seen some that looked pretty closed.

Zee, I did that, I believe you made a post recommending that, so when I bought the filter at Advance Auto, I took my phone light flashed it down the hole and all of the louvers were nicely open.

I am going to cut the filter and post the photos when it’s time for a change.

I am a Fram Tough Guard and sometimes Ultra user on my other vehicle, and probably would have used the Fram product on my Crosstrek but I just couldn’t do it because of the bypass rating on their non-OEM product - probably just ignorance on my part.

I looked at the standard Wix, and I’ve used them in the past on other vehicles over the years. Does anyone know what their filtering ability is?

Good Evening Board,

After spending considerable time researching and learning a lot about oil filters from the this board (invaluable information), I opted for the Purolator Pure1 filter for my Subaru.

My reasons were:
1. Excellent filtering abilities, 99% at 20 microns.
2. The bypass rating of 20-30 psi, which is in the range of the OEM spec (still not certain how important that is). :unsure:
3. Made in America

I was considering the Subaru OEM, Wix and Purolator. I like the Wix also, but it wasn’t made in America, and I always try to lean to homegrown products, keeps Americans in jobs.

Thanks,

RevRider
Being under warranty, I would have used an OEM Subaru branded filter. That way there is no finger pointing should some internal engine problem would occur during the warranty period.

I think, and I may be wrong, but if they deny a warranty because of an aftermarket filter, don’t they have to supply the filters at no charge?

I think, and I may be wrong, but if they deny a warranty because of an aftermarket filter, don’t they have to supply the filters at no charge?
They have a right to deny warranty on an aftermarket oil filter if they can prove the filter caused a problem. But they can't legally deny a warranty on other things not related to a filter failure just because an aftermarket filter is used. If they say you must use an OEM filter to maintain a warranty on the vehicle, then they must supply the OEM filter for free per the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Last edited:
Would that also apply to the oil, we have to use OEM brand not to have a warranty dispute?
If the OM said you must use OEM oil to maintain the warranty, then again they would have to supply the OEM oil for free. OMs call out what API specs and viscosity to use, that's about it ... and it's "recommend", not "required". I have never seen any OM that says XYZ oil if "required to maintain the warranty". So technically, and legally they would have to prove that the oil you used caused the issue/damage if it wan't one that they "recommended".

Back