2022 Silverado 1500 W/T (updated body), 5.3, 10-speed

Quick overview, pic and opinion.

This past Saturday, we took Dad's 2016 Silverado W/T, reg cab, long box 4.3, 6-speed out to Albany and traded it in on a brand new 2022 Silverado 1500.

New Silverado is the new-body style or updated body style. It is a W/T trim truck with the W/T value package which adds heated rear window, heated mirrors, cruise control, power mirrors and keyless entry. It is a 4x4 truck with a single-speed transfer case, so no 4LO. Drivetrain is an updated EcoTec3 L84 5.3 V8 without DFM. Engine runs in full V8 mode at all times. Transmission is the 10L80 10-speed automatic.

Engine is smooth as silk and you only would know it is a V8 when you give it a little go pedal. Transmission shifts very confidently and quick. If you get into it about 1/4 throttle, the engine will rev up to about 3-4k and shift a bunch of times while pulling like a train. Overall, very impressed with this drivetrain. Comparing this drivetrain's characteristics to my 2.7 EcoBoost and 3.5 PowerBoost hybrid with the 10-speed, it almost feels as if Ford does some TCC slipping to make it so the turbo lag is less of a slap in the face. To me it always felt like the Ford 10R80 was mushy and elastic and didn't know what it wanted to do. Being that this trans, the GM 10L80, and the Ford 10R80 are incredibly similar units (joint-build venture), it would make sense to me that in a N/A engine application, different trans. tuning would provide a more 'direct' shift pattern and act in this way. I can only imagine that this truck not having DFM also plays into how the trans. shifts. Overall I am very very impressed on how it feels.

I used to have some pretty fancy trucks, my PowerBoost Lariat was about $67-70k MSRP. It was sweet, but I gotta say, there isn't any 'truck' thing that a W/T trimmed truck like this can't do that my Fords did. It is a very nice truck with just enough convenience. Sometimes I think these (and I'm guilty of it myself!) trucks get a little too mall crawler and their tires never hit grass. What I am saying is after looking where trucks have gone, price wise, there is some definite attraction in a more base model truck, that is a truck. Especially when it has just about all you'd need - power locks, power windows, CarPlay, single zone AC, heated mirrors. Sometimes some of these, while they're nice features, get a little too much. Fancy expensive trucks are sweet, but the corresponding payment and high-stress job to pay for it sure isn't.

Truck drove great on the Thruway, just wish Aunt Kathy would find some tax money to make the 90 less moon crater like. Averaged 20.5 MPG which I thought was great out of a full-size V8 truck with no DFM.

Overall super happy, Dad said his last brand-new truck was his 1985 Sierra Classic. Really happy for him and I might have to consider something like this down the road for myself.

Attachments

• CF57A849-CFB9-4A0E-92FC-18B0B25A4F2A.jpeg
    CF57A849-CFB9-4A0E-92FC-18B0B25A4F2A.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 371
  • FD21F4D1-EFEB-4EB5-B108-DCB3583ADED0.jpeg
    FD21F4D1-EFEB-4EB5-B108-DCB3583ADED0.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 369
It is better than the 19-21/22 LTD front end. I like it, it has grown on me.

You referring to the butter fly front ends? If so, imo, they look infinitely better than the 2500 where it looks like it has FAS and Down's Syndrome.

It still bugs me that GM doesn't give you 4 low. Anything to save a buck. I was looking to replace my 2010 but the prices are stupid now.

Ya gotta think though, how often do you really need 4LO? Maybe if you offroad or need to pull a boat up a ramp. But, for "regular" use I see no need. I've never needed it driving in the snow around here, just 4HI. The only time any of my trucks have been in 4LO is when I occasionally engage it to keep things moving....

The DFM lifters are still in the motor-it just doesn't have the chips to make it function.
Still a plus. While a different Gen, I have seen a lot of Gen IV AFM motors either HPT'd or that little module plugged into OBD that effectively turned of AFM go to some pretty stellar mileage. Like 200-300k.

Ya gotta think though, how often do you really need 4LO? Maybe if you offroad or need to pull a boat up a ramp. But, for "regular" use I see no need. I've never needed it driving in the snow around here, just 4HI. The only time any of my trucks have been in 4LO is when I occasionally engage it to keep things moving....
That was kinda the thought here too. Plus for those that really want it, a 2-speed T-case is still very much so available.

I never understood why the 4.3 v6's existence was prolonged so much. Its always gotten worse mpg than the 5.3. That's why people get a v6 over a v8 in a pickup, more economy at a loss of power but not worse mpg and power. I briefly owned a 4.3 Silverado but traded it in for the 5.3 and its more fuel efficient and actually has some power. And even in the last year for the 4.3 in the 2020 model the still 5.3 had better mpg numbers.

I never understood why the 4.3 v6's existence was prolonged so much. It’s always gotten worse mpg than the 5.3. That's why people get a v6 over a v8 in a pickup, more economy at a loss of power but not worse mpg and power. I briefly owned a 4.3 Silverado but traded it in for the 5.3 and it’s more fuel efficient and actually has some power. And even in the last year for the 4.3 in the 2020 model the still 5.3 had better mpg numbers.
I completely agree with that if we’re talking old 4.3 like GMT900 and below. But to be fair, the 4.3 LV3 in Dads old 2016 had 285hp and he routinely got 22-24 MPG. Trip out to Albany was 24.3 MPG. Even had a tank at 25 MPG. But again, to be fair, that was almost always being driven like an old man lol. My MPG in it was never more than 19.

I completely agree with that if we’re talking old 4.3 like GMT900 and below. But to be fair, the 4.3 LV3 in Dads old 2016 had 285hp and he routinely got 22-24 MPG. Trip out to Albany was 24.3 MPG. Even had a tank at 25 MPG. But again, to be fair, that was almost always being driven like an old man lol. My MPG in it was never more than 19.
The Sierra in my signature routinely gets 25 on the highway. average low 20s around town. 17 while towing my boat. (+/- 4,000 lbs) I would have never considered a V6 prior to the 2014 GM models. But this truck has done everything I've asked of it with ease. And got it real cheap off the lot, apparently nobody else in town would bite on the V6. Works for me!

Still a plus. While a different Gen, I have seen a lot of Gen IV AFM motors either HPT'd or that little module plugged into OBD that effectively turned of AFM go to some pretty stellar mileage. Like 200-300k.
Still need to keep an eye on them. The proper way to delete MDS is a non-MDS cam and lifters since the deactivation cylinders have different lobe rates/lift than the standard ones. I don't trust any of the MDS stuff....I've seen brand new trucks come into my dealer with less than 1000 miles and the lifters are wiped. 10 speed is a decent trans when it's operating right. We still change the fluid often for torque shudder....I believe there's a bulletin on it. The more refining GM does, the better the trans gets though. I agree that no MDS probably helps it perform better. Good luck with it! Sincerely, a GM technician.

Still need to keep an eye on them. The proper way to delete MDS is a non-MDS cam and lifters since the deactivation cylinders have different lobe rates/lift than the standard ones. I don't trust any of the MDS stuff....I've seen brand new trucks come into my dealer with less than 1000 miles and the lifters are wiped. 10 speed is a decent trans when it's operating right. We still change the fluid often for torque shudder....I believe there's a bulletin on it. The more refining GM does, the better the trans gets though. I agree that no MDS probably helps it perform better. Good luck with it! Sincerely, a GM technician.
Thanks. That sounds awfully FCA Stellantis of you.

That was kinda the thought here too. Plus for those that really want it, a 2-speed T-case is still very much so available.
Yes and no. You have to get an expensive "package" to get 4 low. I use 4 low in winter and pulling the boat out of the water sometimes. GM is cheap. Everyone else offers it. Its been like that for decades. Anything to save a buck. You get less and pay more, and people today defend that.

Yes and no. You have to get an expensive "package" to get 4 low. I use 4 low in winter and pulling the boat out of the water sometimes. GM is cheap. Everyone else offers it. Its been like that for decades. Anything to save a buck. You get less and pay more, and people today defend that.
It is a $200 option on a base model W/T Regular Cab 2.7T. I see on 5.3 they are requiring you to add Z71. Doesn't surprise me much.

1663603717690.jpg

That 4Lo thing is nothing new - our 2017 Tahoe has it because of the better trailer package in an LT.
Our 2022 has the single xfer case with a lesser trailer package … with that 10 speed / L84 - not concerned
Signed, Rubicon owner 😜

Back