2022 Renault Kwid - I didn't know you could still buy a car this basic

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I currently have a 2022 Renault Kwid as a rental, and I have to write about it because this thing is so hilariously simple and basic. I didn't know you could buy a car in 2022 without cruise, tilt, rear window defogger or a clutch/ignition interlock. It has exposed metal in the cargo area, Apollo brand 165/70R14 tires, one windshield wiper, levers attached by a cable to open the rear hatch, fuel filler door and switch between recirc and fresh air. To top it all off, it's powered by a 67 hp 1.0 3 cylinder. Surprisingly, it has ABS and 2 air bags, but a big no on traction or stability control. Android Auto is onboard as well!

Considering what it is, the ride, handling, steering feel and brakes all are pretty good. The engine however is woefully underpowered, I was in third trying to maintain 80 km/h up a hill on the freeway and it wasn't happy, I think hills might be the bane of its existence. You can also feel the A/C compressor kick on and off with an accompanying loss of power. It also has the most bizarre LCD screen for the gauges I've ever seen, along with the power door locks and window controls in the center stack.

5n04KSQ.jpg

9zMmAlF.jpg

MpnXXHE.jpg

vFgxIRi.jpg

LBvkH5Z.jpg

usbYF0w.jpg

cxigZvZ.jpg

bZRiDQK.jpg

g3gLZCN.jpg

nNERrxU.jpg

You must be out of the country right now? That would be super cool getting a manual rental car. Definitely an interesting car to say the least by interesting I mean interesting looking. Don’t know if I could stand shifting left handed though.

I like the idea of a simple, inexpensive car, but three issues right away for me would be:
- Only 67 hp, which would be unsafe in passing situations, and unsafe in general for keeping up with today's traffic.
- The completely unfinished cargo area.
- Only 3 lug nuts holding on a wheel?

My '07 Accord is about as basic as I want to get at this point in my life.

You must be out of the country right now? That would be super cool getting a manual rental car. Definitely an interesting car to say the least by interesting I mean interesting looking. Don’t know if I could stand shifting left handed though.

They wanted $3/day more for an automatic. Do I look like I'm made out of money? :ROFLMAO:

Shifting with my left hand is awkward enough, but even worse the turn signals are on the right stalk! I might have put the windshield wipers on by mistake a couple of times...

I would for sure go for one of those if the price was right. Perfect for my local daily run around town driving. That is as much H.P. as the early vw beetles, or is it even more . Maybe if they put a turbo on it for USA sales?.

That's a bit refreshing. An updated 2CV, a "deux chevaux". Just the thing for quiet back roads and a picnic basket with cheese, a loaf of good bread, red wine and crystal glasses.

Probably meets my list of preferred features: (1) spare tire, (2) manual transmission, (3) dip stick. I should add one more - 4 or more lug nuts.

yes sir, my kind of car, basic. Most of what any new car has i don't need or want and would never use

Back