2022 Mazda CX-9 2.5L Turbo

Can you use non genuine oil filters in Mazda 2.5L Turbo engine?
K&N PS 1008 reasonably priced here
A$9.80 a filter
But not sure can use it
You can use any filter that is recommended by the filter manufacturer for your year/make/model/engine. Nothing special about kn filters.
If it were mine, and if it fits, I'd probably use the +1 oversized filter too.

Its pretty sad when an automaker isn't capable of making a quality enough filter that can be used on both engines na2.5 and 2.5T. Has the purchasing got that demented with cost cutting, or engineering that incompetent?

I have used the old Champ manufactured Mobil 1 filters and Fram Ultra and Tough Guard filters on 2.5 Turbos with no apparent issue.

I guess the bypass pressures are different for the Mazda filters (turbo vs non-turbo), and the aftermarket companies say theirs works with both.

A$9.80 a filter
But not sure can use it
Of course. The "recommended" filter on aftermarket lists are the small 6607 (Fram #system) which
is roughly the same size as the Mazda filters. The 7317 (again Fram system) fits fine and works well.
IF the K&N filter is the small Mazda size, you can use it. The nut on the bottom will interfere if you're
going with the oversize 7317. I will note that some K&N filters do not have the nut, so the choice in yours.

My 2¢

Of course. The "recommended" filter on aftermarket lists are the small 6607 (Fram #system) which
is roughly the same size as the Mazda filters. The 7317 (again Fram system) fits fine and works well.
IF the K&N filter is the small Mazda size, you can use it. The nut on the bottom will interfere if you're
going with the oversize 7317. I will note that some K&N filters do not have the nut, so the choice in yours.

My 2¢

On a Mazda 2.5T, what will the nut on the bottom of the 7317 version K&N filter interfere with?

A$9.80 a filter
But not sure can use it
There is a very strong recommendation NOT to use a filter different than the genuine due to design concerns, anti-drain back valve if I recall correctly. The non OEM websites usually list the filters as compatible with the NA and turbo version of the engine, but the filters are different.

The Mazda Roki filters are competitively priced. I don’t see the need to use anything else. Buy them online from a reputable dealer.

There is a very strong recommendation NOT to use a filter different than the genuine due to design concerns, anti-drain back valve if I recall correctly. The non OEM websites usually list the filters as compatible with the NA and turbo version of the engine, but the filters are different.
You are correct for Amsoil. Its site lists the EA15K12 oil filter for both turbo and non-turbo versions of the 2.5 SKYACTIV. The site does give the correct oil viscosity for the two versions, 0W-20 for non-turbo and 5W-30 for turbo.

I believe that as long as you go with an API SP oil in the correct 5W-30 grade and do 5,000 mile changes you'll be fine. I'll be using Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 in my new CX-30 with the same motor because it's readily available in my area and priced the same as other premium oils.

I believe that as long as you go with an API SP oil in the correct 5W-30 grade and do 5,000 mile changes you'll be fine. I'll be using Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 in my new CX-30 with the same motor because it's readily available in my area and priced the same as other premium oils.
Is your Mazda CX-30 2.5L Turbo?

I got them on a Mazda dealer off eBay. 6 filters + washers for $55 shipped. I used them on my 2021 CX30 turbo.

Attachments

• PXL_20221113_130533360.jpg
    PXL_20221113_130533360.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 22
Back