2022 Mazda CX-9 2.5L Turbo

Hi

I have two option
1) Mobil1 5w-30
2) Mobil1 ESP 5w-30

Owners manual call 5w-30

Which option you guys recommend

Hard to find Mobil1 EP here in Australia.
As well as Pennzoil and Amsoil.
Redline and Royal Purple available
But Turbo direct injection I wouldn’t use high ash engine oils
Out of above two option I decided to go with ESP 5w-30

I think the Mobil 1 5W-30 EP or ESP depending upon availability is the top choice. And as mentioned, the sulfated ash content is a reason why. Not that other premium synthetics aren't good too, but Mazda's Skyactiv Turbo DI engine is rather unique.
Avoid the temptation to do long OCI's unless it is all easy freeway miles. Otherwise a 5K OCI is prudent.

Regarding the oil filters, while it seems that buying an oversize filter from one of the major filter manufacturers is a good idea there has been a lot of talk on the Mazda forum and the consensus is to stick with the OEM filters. I would love to use one of the Fram Ultra filters and only change it every other oil change as I had on previous vehicles but there is something unique about the engineering of the Mazda filters. In fact they even specify different filters for the turbo and non turbo version of the same 2.5L engine.

been a lot of talk on the Mazda forum and the consensus is to stick with the OEM filters. I would love to use one of the Fram Ultra filters and only change it every other oil change as I had on previous vehicles but there is something unique about the engineering of the Mazda filters. In fact they even specify different filters for the turbo and non turbo version of the same 2.5L engine.
While it is a different design, shown here, there is no down side to using an oversize filter, even on a Mazda engine.

My 2¢

I'm running M1 5w30 ESP in my Corvette, so you know where my vote goes :) It's a much better oil than the standard 5w30, and it's not that much more here (about $3 extra for a 5L jug) Given the fact that my Corvette's engine uses direct injection, I believe this oil will be better for it in the long run and have less intake valve deposits. Time will tell!

I'm running M1 5w30 ESP in my Corvette, so you know where my vote goes :) It's a much better oil than the standard 5w30, and it's not that much more here (about $3 extra for a 5L jug) Given the fact that my Corvette's engine uses direct injection, I believe this oil will be better for it in the long run and have less intake valve deposits. Time will tell!
Where are you buying to get that price? It's $12+/qt.

Mobil1 range very expensive here
ESP 5w-30 A$90 for 5L jug.
Thanks for everyone
I’ll stick to Mobil1 ESP 5w-30

I think the Mobil 1 5W-30 EP or ESP depending upon availability is the top choice. And as mentioned, the sulfated ash content is a reason why. Not that other premium synthetics aren't good too, but Mazda's Skyactiv Turbo DI engine is rather unique.
Avoid the temptation to do long OCI's unless it is all easy freeway miles. Otherwise a 5K OCI is prudent.

Regarding the oil filters, while it seems that buying an oversize filter from one of the major filter manufacturers is a good idea there has been a lot of talk on the Mazda forum and the consensus is to stick with the OEM filters. I would love to use one of the Fram Ultra filters and only change it every other oil change as I had on previous vehicles but there is something unique about the engineering of the Mazda filters. In fact they even specify different filters for the turbo and non turbo version of the same 2.5L engine.
Thanks for the info

Thanks Patman

Can you use non genuine oil filters in Mazda 2.5L Turbo engine?
K&N PS 1008 reasonably priced here
A$9.80 a filter
But not sure can use it

Back