2022 Kona N HPL Premium PCMO 5W30 UOA

KonaN

$50 Site Donor 2023
Kona N Blackstone(8-26-23).jpg

**Graph Data Updated 8/26/2023**

I purchased a new 22 Kona N last year and settled on using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30. After some thread reading and sending HPL an email, I purchased their Premium PCMO oil in 5W30. I'm scheduled to do around 30-36Kmiles a year as I work far from my home and this car is my daily. I only really push the car on on-ramps but plan to do track days at some point. I'm currently sitting at 90%+ highway driving, climate is central California, OCI of ~3K using OEM filters. Lab used for oil samples is Blackstone Labs. Using Google sheets on ''back end" to produce image, will update as new samples come in.

Owner's Manual/Shop Service Manual Details
Engine:
2.0L G4K GDI Turbo, DOHC, In-line 4 cylinders, 1998cc, 9.3:1 compression
Recommended Oil:
Shell Helix, 5.49qt, SAE 0W30 API SN PLUS/SP or ILSAC GF6

P.S.
-Shop manual requires you pay for access at hyundaitechinfo website.
-Was able to confirm with Hyundai directly that 5W30 is approved. Owner's manual only list 0W30.
-PUP purchased at WalMart.
-PPCMO purchased at advlubrication.
-*Youtube video of HPL plant by channel REALSTREETPERFORMANCE. Found in a forum thread started by member Rod Knock.
-*All results on right of 'Fuel%' are less than number listed. I can't add the < symbol as it will interfere with cell color condition.
-*Blackstone statement on lack of accuracy for 'Fuel%' data after being pointed out by member OVERKILL.
"The comment on your post is correct; we estimate the fuel percentage from the flashpoint reading, and that isn't very accurate. Fuel dilution isn't the only factor that affects a sample's flashpoint, and the flashpoint of the virgin oil isn't always the same from one batch of oil to another, even if the brand is the same. There could very well be a small amount of fuel in your latest sample that we didn't detect with this method. However, the flashpoint is still very useful -- we wouldn't test it if it wasn't. A concerning amount of fuel in the oil is sure to lower the flashpoint significantly, and that's something we'll definitely alert you to if it's ever called for. - Brian"
-* Please create a case with Hyundai Consumer Affairs if you plan to use anything not in the owners manual and save the email exchange where they confirm *you can use X weight. You can make a case by sending them a message on the Hyundai Owners website.

*Edit Audit;
2/9/23 - Swapped picture for one that includes TBN data. Added clarification to Fuel %.
2/23/23 - Added Blackstone statement on Fuel % accuracy. Swapped top PPCMO hyperlink to spec PDF. Updated snip to correct minor typo, better crop relevant data, and prep for next oil analysis.
2/24/23 - Added link to HPL plant tour.
3/9/23 - Added oil weight disclaimer. Updated oil data and format.

Last edited:
Lots of oil changes and UOAs. Is it helping you make decisions re OCIs or choice of oil?

You've spent a lot of time and $ on oil changes. Next time get data on your TBN. You have no fuel dilution problems it seems. Your TBN is probably going to be quite high (lots of reserve base left) to justify much longer oil change intervals.

I have a Hyundai Kona N-Line 1.6T. My first UOA will be done after its first 5000 miles/8000 km. If my TBN is good and there are no fuel dilution issues, I'll likely move to 7500 miles/10,000 km OCIs.

Using P.U.P. 5w-20 ( S.P. ) with the FRAM Titanium FS9688 oil filter for the '18 Accent with the 1.6 Ltr. G.D.I..

As far as I understand it there would be no reason/benefit to use HPL in your case. 3k miles changes could be done on any API SP oil.
PUP seems more than adequate for the 3K intervals. Plan was to start at 3K intervals and switch to manual recommended intervals of 6K after X miles.

Are you attempting to discern a quality difference between the oils using those UOA?
I would be willing to do teardowns if I had the training. Outside of seeing numbers way out of range, personal use of the data is mostly limited to a general health checkup.

Lots of oil changes and UOAs. Is it helping you make decisions re OCIs or choice of oil?

You've spent a lot of time and $ on oil changes. Next time get data on your TBN. You have no fuel dilution problems it seems. Your TBN is probably going to be quite high (lots of reserve base left) to justify much longer oil change intervals.

I have a Hyundai Kona N-Line 1.6T. My first UOA will be done after its first 5000 miles/8000 km. If my TBN is good and there are no fuel dilution issues, I'll likely move to 7500 miles/10,000 km OCIs.
The primary reason for the post is to provide the community with data on my specific car/engine running from start to finish on different oils. I also appreciate when a company is active in forums and provides good customer support. My email correspondence was with David. If the oil comes back looking good, plan is to use it for track days. I apologies if the information is not formatted proper, I consolidated the data from multiple PDF's sent my way. I actually have TBN data for all but the latest sample, my apologies again, seems I posted the wrong snip.

How you liking the 1.6T engine so far BTW? It's a real shame AWD isn't offered on the Kona N, on top of the US version missing many features offered in the EU.

Using P.U.P. 5w-20 ( S.P. ) with the FRAM Titanium FS9688 oil filter for the '18 Accent with the 1.6 Ltr. G.D.I..
How has your overall experience been with PUP and the Accent odie? Also, why go with FRAM vs OEM on the filter?

My experience with the Hyundai service department has not been great; being handed wrong parts at the counter(multiple times now), not making appointments they claimed to make, not wanting to honor discount mailers they sent to my house, ordering incorrect parts and not updating me before I show up(long drive), attempting to dissuade me from having issues inspected, skipping the scheduled service that was part of my appointment, etc.

Last edited:
How you liking the 1.6T engine so far BTW? It's a real shame AWD isn't offered on the Kona N, on top of the US version missing many features offered in the EU.
You can check my review here:

I really have no issues with the engine; the car is quite efficient, even as an AWD which you are correct is the one I have. Actually, if it came in a FWD only, I'd be good with that. My issues are really with DCTs and all the quirkiness that comes with it. I'm not saying that it's bad; it's just a mixed bag.

The one thing that perplexes me the most about the Canadian N-Line vs the US N-Line is the button parking brake vs. the lever style that I believe the US has. I hate parking buttons and worse still, you can't drift the car in the snow!

P.U.P. seems fine . Did burn off an ounce or 2 of oil due to fuel dilution . This has occurred twice since new ( 2018 ) when on trips of 140+ miles at high speeds ( 65+ ) while on interstate . Using the Titanium for it's filtering of 99% @ 20+ microns .

Last edited:
You can check my review here:

I really have no issues with the engine; the car is quite efficient, even as an AWD which you are correct is the one I have. Actually, if it came in a FWD only, I'd be good with that. My issues are really with DCTs and all the quirkiness that comes with it. I'm not saying that it's bad; it's just a mixed bag.

The one thing that perplexes me the most about the Canadian N-Line vs the US N-Line is the button parking brake vs. the lever style that I believe the US has. I hate parking buttons and worse still, you can't drift the car in the snow!
I will check out your post, thank you for the link. That forum was also the main reason I planned to make public post about my car, but I was banned for spam. I asked for an update and was told the ban would not be lifted. On the positive side, they responded to my delete request per CCPA, more than I can say for LoJack/Solera.

Many seem happy with the wet 8 speed DCT on the N cars but it sometimes seems confused for daily driving. I hear a good amount of noise while trying to drive at a constant low speed, being forced to use manual mode so the car stops jerking between gears. The N power shifting also seems brutal towards the transmission, I have it off using a custom setting.

Your AWD system might not be a high-performance spec'd system, but it's a really nice feature for a daily driver. I can confirm we get the handle parking brake in the US brother, my condolences. Personally, not having an option for heated and cooled seats, as offered in the EU model, really irks me.

Monthly oil changes would get old. When are you planning on extending the OCI? I like all the data you are tracking though.
Hi Rhonda. I've enjoyed doing the oil changes and run a small inspection at the same time. I'm currently set to switch to manual recommended OCI of 6K at 24K.

Point of interest on last inspection:
Drive Belt Tensioner 1.JPG

Hi Rhonda. I've enjoyed doing the oil changes and run a small inspection at the same time. I'm currently set to switch to manual recommended OCI of 6K at 24K.

Point of interest on last inspection:
View attachment 140858

Gotcha. I think you’ll be just fine at 6,000 miles and am interested to see the oil analysis. Still under warranty right?

3K changes is really a waste of money here. Run the HPL and push out to whatever you are comfortable with...7.5K? Unless you are beating on it on the track etc. a few highway on-ramp pulls is well within the range of "normal" use and high mielage/highway use says take the changes out much further than 3K. The only really thing I'd worry about is fuel dilution on small GDI turbo engine but that doesn't seem to be too much of an issue based on the UOAs; flashpoint of ~400 is pretty normal. Your wear metals are v. low.

Back