2022 Hyundai 1.6L Turbo Factory-Fill 2800 miles

Jay

This was drawn from my 2022 Hyundai Tucson hybrid at 2800 miles because I had a slowly rising oil level and suspected fuel dilution. I did not smell any fuel on the dipstick, though, and my fuel economy was pretty good. I wanted to quantify the amount of fuel dilution if possible. Caterpillar SOS was the lab and they will perform fuel dilution if you ask for it. I asked, but said they are unable to determine fuel dilution in gasoline engine oils--only diesel engine oils. This is factory-fill oil which I presume is 0w-20 since that is what is recommended in the manual.

Miles on vehicle 2800
Miles on oil 2800
Date July 7 2021

Cu 16
Fe 18
Cr 0
Al 4
Pb 99
Sn 0
Si 104
Na 4
K 16
Mo 856
Ni 0
Ag 0
Ti 0
V 0
Mn 3
Cd 0
Ca 1130
P 830
Zn 776
Mg 454
Ba 13
B 130

V100 7.3
ST 0
OXI 15
SUL 24
NIT 6
W No
A No

The lab flagged Si and Pb. I don't think Si is a problem but the Pb is more than an order of magnitude higher than I expected. I don't think fuel dilution is a problem since viscosity is OK and oxidation is reasonable. Also, I ran a bottle of Chevron Techron Concentrate in the tank and my fuel economy picked up about 3mpg and the rising oil level problem seems to have stopped. It will take a few thousand miles to determine this for sure. Anyway, the Pb count has made me forget all about the fuel dilution. The lab thinks its bearing overlay wear. They may be right, however most overlay alloys are PbSn or PbSnCu. We have no Sn here. It could be PbCu alloy.

It would be very helpful if I could find a few more 1.6L turbo gdi Hyundai or Kia engine oil analysis results to help put this in perspective. Let me know if you know of any. Thanks.

is this the hybrid?

edit: answered my own question.

I was considering the plug in hybrid version of these.. has more hp.

Decided to keep the jeep another 2 years probably..really dont want first year issues and paying msrp.

is this the hybrid?

edit: answered my own question.

I was considering the plug in hybrid version of these.. has more hp.

Decided to keep the jeep another 2 years probably..really dont want first year issues and paying msrp.
Hybrids will likely go at MSRP (or close to it) for quite some time.

Hybrids will likely go at MSRP (or close to it) for quite some time.
it was the combination of untested hybrid first year vehicle and msrp... well that and hykia's bad rep for warranty service.

As well as the issue we just had with the 2020 elantra transmission.

One of the testing labs basically says ignore any wear metal readings in the first oil change if not longer.

Most cars these days use aluminum bearing, not copper and lead.
So where would lead come from???

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a lead reading that high, much less on a FF.

The Si is from RTV sealers and will wash out over the next couple of OCIs.

Also wondering about that potassium and barium.

Also...there’s no additive that has the capability of increasing fuel economy by 3 MPG.

In a car that gets, say, 25 MPG, that is an increase of 12%.

No chance that Techron alone increased your fuel economy by 12%.

Also...there’s no additive that has the capability of increasing fuel economy by 3 MPG.

I’m pretty sure it’s a combination of further engine break-in & possible clean up of a sticky injector or something that bumped the mpg up to “original spec” (it was low before, for example) so it’s nothing worthy of note on a new engine. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s not like mpgs went above and beyond the factory rating with the fuel additive.

I think the engine needs a good thrashing of WOT runs to redline in multiple gears, while getting up to speed on a highway on-ramp to blow out break-in particles from the block, exhaust, etc.

If it was me, I’d also do a quick drain n fill of the second oil change to help flush things out quicker rather then later and then proceed to resample again at the next oil change.

p.s. I HATE break-in metals. 😁

My fuel economy increased from low 40s to mid 40s. An increase of about 7%. This increase came within 100 miles of adding the Techron. You don't think a clogged injector (or possibly more than one) coming clean would make that difference? I'm really impressed with the results of the Techron Concentrate. Essentially, I got to try it for free. The savings in gas more than make up for the $5 cost.

...If it was me, I’d also do a quick drain n fill of the second oil change to help flush things out quicker rather then later and then proceed to resample again at the next oil change.

p.s. I HATE break-in metals. 😁
I have an appointment with the dealer in a week to fix an oil leak where the oil pan bolts to the block. The oil will get changed then. I hear ya about break-in metals. I've been doing oil analysis on my cars and bikes for a number of years and I've never seen Pb so high in the factory-fill oil. In fact, I can only remember Pb this high in somebody's UOA that had a rogue gas station selling leaded gasoline. I'm wondering what was in the factory gasoline in Ulsan? Anyway, it would be great to see somebody else's 1.6L turbo factory-fill results as another data point. This engine has been out since 2019, I think. It's used in the Kona, Veloster, and Sonata, and lots of hybrid Tucsons the world over. I'm disappointed not to find any UOAs on it.

a clogged injector (or possibly more than one) coming clean would make that difference?
If that was the issue, sure, Techron could get credit, but that's not the same as implying it improved your fuel economy solely from cleaning. Presume it was a clogged injector and it's resolved now. If you add Techron again, will your MPG increase another 7% ?

Most cars these days use aluminum bearing, not copper and lead.
So where would lead come from???

Good point. Most if not all automakers are getting away from lead in any part of the process.

We had a recent thread where the analysis report got mixed up with someone else’s. Can the OP request a retest of the sample?

Yes, I didn't have great luck with the CAT labs, I had some samples that were way off, looked more like 15w40 HD Diesel oil.

Found this on reddit. Here's a guy with a 2019 (2020?) Veloster with a 1.6L turbo engine. He's got 36000km on the car and the oil has 5000km. Pb is pretty high at 68ppm. He notes in the comments that the lead is probably from his octane booster.

I'll continue to scour the interwoobs for other examples of this engine.

Last edited:
I'm updating this thread with a recent sample report from the same Caterpillar lab. These two reports are not consecutive. There was an unsampled interval between these two reports. I'm relisting the old report in parenthesis to make it easier to compare. The oil is Valvoline's top-of-the-line synthetic 0w-20: Valvoline Extended Protection 0w-20. The old report is factory fill.

New Report 8120 miles to 12830 miles. 4710 total miles
(Old Report 0 miles to 2880 miles. 2880 total miles)

Cu 2 (16)
Fe 22 (18)
Cr 0 (0)
Al 4 (4)
Pb 0 (99)
Sn 0 (0)
Si 32 (104)
Na 1 (4)
K 5 (16)
Mo 258 (856)
Ni 0 (0)
Ag 0 (0)
Ti 0 (0)
V 0 (0)
Mn 0 (3)
Cd 0 (0)
Ca 1348 (1130)
P 623 (830)
Zn 752 (776)
Mg 466 (454)
Ba 0 (13)
B 51 (130)

V100 5.79 (7.3)
ST 0 (0)
OXI 14 (15)
SUL 21 (24)
NIT 11 (6)
W No (No)
A No (No)

Right away I'm very pleased to see that the Pb has cleared down to 0ppm over this nearly 5000 mile interval. That was my main worry. My Tucson hybrid has a 1.6L DFI turbo engine that fuel dilutes. It's hard to get the oil to warm up and evaporate the gasoline component on this hybrid so the viscosity is nearly out-of-grade on the low side. There are no long trips on this interval but there were on the factory-fill interval so the viscosity held up better. I think I'll shorten the interval to 4000 miles unless I take a long road trip. My car has had an oil pan leak and a valve cover leak both repaired under warranty so the silicon is still elevated. The valve cover leak repair was done on this interval.

Thanks for the update. Out of curiosity what MPG are you averaging and what type of driving do you do. Thanks

Back