2022 F450 10r140 service

In the fall we special ordered a pair of '22 F450's with the 7.3 gas engine. We farm, have an excavation business, and plow snow commercially/nationwide so these trucks are getting worked pretty hard. We've only had them since November and both trucks are closing in on 9k miles and 400 hours a piece, with about 1/3 of those hours pushing a 9ft plow and carrying 3 ton of salt on the bed. Now i'm trying to work out a solid maintenance plan for them, ideally we'd like to trade them off in 4-5 years but considering we're still running a '03 Duramax with 315k miles my dad bought new, its very possible these will be around for a while.

Anyways when i was under the trucks putting on the snow plows and salt spreaders i realized the transmission pan is plastic, no drain plug, and not even sure how you check fluid level. I talked to the service manager where we bought them and he acted like they are hesitant to do any service unless theres an issue. :unsure: Owners manual states to change fluid at 150k and to consult the dealer.. I'd like to service the diff's and t-cases at the 30k mile range. Is the transmission something i should include in that, and is it even something i can do myself or does it have to go to a shop to get refilled?

For reference heres my truck from last weekend. Made a 3 hour drive from Dayton, Oh to Kokomo, In with a plow/spreader on the truck and skid steer in tow. Plowed for 18 hours and went home. Trans temp hung around the 220* mark running 75mph on the highway.

I have the baby brother (10R80) to that trans, and don't do all the heavy work that you're doing and I'm servicing mine way sooner. I have already done a D&F @10k and probably will continue that schedule with a filter change at 60k. I'll probably add an aluminum pan with drain plug somewhere in there as well.

Not sure if the R140 has a dipstick like the R80 does, but if it does, it is a stubby little turd disguised as a fill plug.

My opinion is that these 10 speed (Both R80 and R140 and the GM Equivalents) transmissions have way too much going on in them to have dirty fluid in there. Judging by the filters Ford uses, they think so too since they're quite a bit more than your standard 'rock catcher' ATF filter.

Just my opinion.

-EDIT-

The same people that make a pan for the 10R80 make a 10R140 pan as well:

Not a Cummins fan?
The pushing power is amazing.
20220207_210127.jpg

In the fall we special ordered a pair of '22 F450's with the 7.3 gas engine. We farm, have an excavation business, and plow snow commercially/nationwide so these trucks are getting worked pretty hard. We've only had them since November and both trucks are closing in on 9k miles and 400 hours a piece, with about 1/3 of those hours pushing a 9ft plow and carrying 3 ton of salt on the bed. Now i'm trying to work out a solid maintenance plan for them, ideally we'd like to trade them off in 4-5 years but considering we're still running a '03 Duramax with 315k miles my dad bought new, its very possible these will be around for a while.

Anyways when i was under the trucks putting on the snow plows and salt spreaders i realized the transmission pan is plastic, no drain plug, and not even sure how you check fluid level. I talked to the service manager where we bought them and he acted like they are hesitant to do any service unless theres an issue. :unsure: Owners manual states to change fluid at 150k and to consult the dealer.. I'd like to service the diff's and t-cases at the 30k mile range. Is the transmission something i should include in that, and is it even something i can do myself or does it have to go to a shop to get refilled?

For reference heres my truck from last weekend. Made a 3 hour drive from Dayton, Oh to Kokomo, In with a plow/spreader on the truck and skid steer in tow. Plowed for 18 hours and went home. Trans temp hung around the 220* mark running 75mph on the highway.

It's not an F450 but it has the same transmission (10R80/10R140). This Ford tech tells you all about them at the 11:50 mark. 😖
GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
I have the baby brother (10R80) to that trans, and don't do all the heavy work that you're doing and I'm servicing mine way sooner. I have already done a D&F @10k and probably will continue that schedule with a filter change at 60k. I'll probably add an aluminum pan with drain plug somewhere in there as well.

Not sure if the R140 has a dipstick like the R80 does, but if it does, it is a stubby little turd disguised as a fill plug.

My opinion is that these 10 speed (Both R80 and R140 and the GM Equivalents) transmissions have way too much going on in them to have dirty fluid in there. Judging by the filters Ford uses, they think so too since they're quite a bit more than your standard 'rock catcher' ATF filter.

Just my opinion.

-EDIT-

The same people that make a pan for the 10R80 make a 10R140 pan as well:

Are you doing the drain and fill yourself? Just dropping the pan and filling through that hole? I wouldn't mind replacing the pans with something metal and drain plug, but not sure how about the added fluid capacity. Dealing with the built E4OD in my 7.3 i've had multiple people tell me that added capacity doesn't do anything but make it more expensive to service.

And nothing really against the newer Cummins themselves, just never liked the Rams. Honestly we're pretty biased towards Fords, between personal and fleet vehicles we are sitting at 15 Fords from a 86 F350 and 92 L8000, multiple 7.3's/6.0's, to a couple 6.7's and Ecoboosts. On these trucks we went back and forth between gas and diesel, and decided the added cost and headaches of a diesel weren't worth it for us. The 7.3 with 10 speed and 4.88's has been pretty impressive so far. Obviously being a new engine and transmission theres risks involved and a lot of unknowns, but with the cost of used trucks we didn't really have much of a choice. Although it does annoy me that they made it a 7.3 and not a 7.5/460. :rolleyes:

I made a tool to do the extraction until I get the new pan. It is simply a toilet standpipe that I filled with sand and bent and then cut the end off of to make a 'U' shaped tube that would plug into the hose of my fluid extractor. Ford makes an attachment to do it, but it is/was $140!!!!!!

Actually, looks like someone finally knocked it offf:

$15.99, the part from Ford was a whole lot more at the time.

I just suck out till it won't suck no more, measure, refill. Check level. Done deal.

Your fluid choices are going to be:

Mercon ULV
Valvoline ULV
Dexron ULV

and some company from Canada that never emailed me back if it could be found in the states 'Klondike Oil"

A note about added capacity. Again, my opinion.

Unless you're in an edge case, I think the factory cooling is just fine, and the filter is pretty good, so extra fluid probably, as you said, just adds cost to the service. Although if I had to use extra fluid to have the convenience of a drain plug, then I'd pay that penalty.

Back