2022 Corolla Cross HPL PP 0W8 19.5k Mile OCI

img087.jpg

So confident is Toyota in their design controlling temperatures, that they went back to a more basic mechanical thermostat. This is for durability and reliability of the component.

With the quality and expertise involved in the creation of this oil, I do not have particular concerns about there being some oxidative thickening, and whatever that might do to the chemistry.

OCI will be capped at 20k miles in spite of extraordinary TBN retention.

Thank you High Performance Lubricants.

0.5 ppm Fe/1000 miles and a TBN of 8.5 after 20,000 miles?! That is out of category outstanding!

How much was the viscosity rise in 20,000 miles?
Keep in mind the TBN method they used is D2896, which is supposedly more suitable for virgin samples than used samples. It reads anywhere from 1-3 points higher than D4739. Still, even if you subtract a couple of points the TBN is really impressive.

The Fe wear rate is incredibly low. The other metals are just noise.
There's no contamination to be concerned with.
The base is still very strong.
This is still very serviceable fluid.

What was the filtration used for this sample?
The same oil filter was used. Mobil 1 Extended Performancd M-103A. Factory air filter is still in place.

One bottle of Techron Fuel System Cleaner was used mid OCI. Fuel was a mixture of mostly garden variety, with some ARCO (BP) Top Tier, all 87 octane.

There is life in this oil, and a dnewton3 observation is always gonna be noteworthy. However my maintenance plan will remain based on the nice, even 20k mile intervals.

For once in my life, there will be consistency with motor oil selection. It's HPL PP 0W8, M-103A, 20k mile OCI period.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of this 2.0 engine. I was happy to see it become standard on the corolla for 2023. Makes the LE a really strong value proposition.
I actually had previous 180k miles of experience with this 2.0L engine in a 2019 Lexus UX 250h. The confidence grows.

You can't ask for a much better report than that. Keep doing what you're doing.
Thank you RDY4WAR.
I greatly value your input. The Si dissipated, didn't it ? All the wear numbers trended well. The plating and consistency should yield more positive data.

Last edited:
Back