2022 Chevrolet Spark 1LT proper timing to make first oil change ?

Hi everyone! I'm happy to have found this amazing forum !

I'm finally done for brake break-in period, my odometer is now at 450 km...

On the motor side of things, the GM manual says that for 800 km to avoid rough acceleration.. and to not maintain constant speeds for long period which I'm following.

I want your feedback on the timing of my first oil change should be in terms of km .

Thanks

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

I hope your Spark is orange like in your avatar :D

Your Spark has the Oil Life Monitor, which tells you just the right time to change your oil based on driving conditions. You can follow the OLM with confidence :)

If the change oil light doesn't come on after a year, then change the oil. This is usually for people that don't drive much.

GM just stopped making the Spark

Yeah, my Spark is almost like the one you see on my avatar picture... on the Chevrolet website cayenne orange is not well rendered.

I know that I can follow the OLM monitor, but if anyone here has tips or feedback of when they are changing the factory oil on a new car, please I would be happy to read your experiences

Not doing the conversion, but in the old days, manufactures suggested the first change at 1,000 miles and the next at 3,000. The thinking being the wearing in of sliding parts shed more material into the oil during that time.

Here is an interesting discovery about GM OLM : "
A : % CHANGE DIC
message comes on. Change the oil as soon
as possible within the next 1 000 km
(600 mi)

Under normal conditions as per GM manual for the Spark: 7,500 miles/12000 km

So it would not harm the motor to let the factory oil in for 7,500 miles , right ?

correct

Most modern GM OLM cars have a hard limit of 7500 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. That is the max OCI the OLM will suggest.

It that was true, engines would never wear out. The filter doesn't trap the finest particles circulating throughout the oil.
The second half of your statement is true but the first is not- filters don’t trap the finest particles, but you also disproved your “engines would never wear out” statement, because filters have nothing to do with the initial particle generation caused by sliding and rotational friction in an engine.

I like to dump the FF between 500/1K, been doing this to all my new vehicles, not required but like to get all the little metal shavings and junk out of the engine as soon as possible. I follow a 5K or six-month oil change,, OLM is never followed, just reset. ;)

Back