2021 Toyota Sienna Redesign

I remember the first shipments being dropped off at local Toyota dealers in my travels around the city

By early March, I'd see one or two on the way to work, obviously brand new still on the paper tags

I was in Williamsburg Friday (a very Minivan centric neighborhood), and they're stacked to the rafters alongside new Odysseys and Pacifica's

I've only seen a handful of the decontented Voyager, guess they got the price point wrong

But the Sienna seems to be a big hit, and the people I asked in a body shop looking over the owners new one didn't seem too bothered about the hybrid I4 powertrain

I hope it improves often abysmal city MPG on more traditional minivan drivetrains

Our friends bought their sienna in 2015 around the same time we bought our odyssey.

I lost count of how many times it has been in the shop for failed components, leaks, etc. Framkly I was incredibly surprised. It took a decade and nearly 200k miles for anything on our Previa to fail (radiator). Our odyssey could have faster responding infotainment, but the only dealer trip it has had was due to stripped crossbar bolts on the roof rack. Hardly a real issue.

Hope the sienna proves to be more reliable than I understand it to be.
It is not only Sienna. My in-laws have 2011 Pilot. Same POS, different package.
Actually here I prefer Toyota over Honda.
Available AWD, available manual shifting (using for engine brake going downhill).

It is not only Sienna. My in-laws have 2011 Pilot. Same POS, different package.
Actually here I prefer Toyota over Honda.
Available AWD, available manual shifting (using for engine brake going downhill).

Meh. I’ve found very little use for AWD personally. Good snow tires? Sure

A questionable, unpopular (in terms of units sold) system that forces the customer into run flats? No thanks.

I think the hybrid AWD is a great idea though.

maybe it’s a lot more hilly by you, but I’d rather use brakes than force shifts on an expensive AT personally.

A questionable, unpopular (in terms of units sold) system that forces the customer into run flats? No thanks.

maybe it’s a lot more hilly by you, but I’d rather use brakes than force shifts on an expensive AT personally.
I drive on snow tires too, donut spare in the back. Planty space to fit donut tire.

Looks nice and I wish I could talk the wife into one for a few years while the kids are little bit she likes (or has been marketed into liking) a full-size SUV. That fuel mileage seems great for the size and capacity. You can get a built in fridge and vacuum too, nice!
We had an 05 Sienna and after the 1st road trip with the kids the wife was more than pleased. Easily 23- 24 MPG @ 65-70 MPH with the A/C on.

Sliding doors make loading and getting the kids situated a snap, and almost all the cargo room you need. Now we have a Highlander and need a cargo rack with a 20 cubic foot, watertight bag for the beach trips.

Unless you get a Suburban, you won't replicate the cargo room while hauling passengers.

The 2010+ Sienna also had footrests for the 2nd row captains chairs. My buddy rode in those seats when his wife drove.

It's definitely hilly up in North Jersey, where AWD does come in handy.

We had an 05 Sienna and after the 1st road trip with the kids the wife was more than pleased. Easily 23- 24 MPG @ 65-70 MPH with the A/C on.

Sliding doors make loading and getting the kids situated a snap, and almost all the cargo room you need. Now we have a Highlander and need a cargo rack with a 20 cubic foot, watertight bag for the beach trips.

Unless you get a Suburban, you won't replicate the cargo room while hauling passengers.

The 2010+ Sienna also had footrests for the 2nd row captains chairs. My buddy rode in those seats when his wife drove.

A Yukon XL, same as Suburban is what we actually have. She likes riding up a bit higher and we do tow a 6,000 pound travel trailer at times which would not work with the Sienna or any other minivan.

Nope, cannot match Sienna, Odyssey etc.
I was renting a lot of them when worked at university in athletics. Traveling with athletes, all the equipment? Minivan easily the best choice compared to anything unless we are talking Chevrolet Express, E350 etc.

Meh.

You learn to manage it and appreciate physics.

We’re not talking some random hilly backroad in upstate NY or something.
it’s physics that is why FWD can’t climb long steep hills, even with winter tires

Rte 206 near I-80 going through Flanders, you always see people struggle to climb that hill when it snows.

rte 515 in Vernon township has a giant ill that people struggle to climb up and down when it snows, especially when they travel home from Mountain Creek

then there is rte 23 climbing that road going to High Point that causes problems

Its not exactly CVT but a hybrid i wanna say ECT transmission. Feels similar but different than a CVT. My zonks are engine noise under load and the styling is a bit not good compared to Pacifica and Carnival. Its like they are competing with Honda for ugliest lines on a van award. The sienna is not bad, just the Carnival and the Pacifica are a little better.

The Pacifica AWD hybrid is also a CVT which is too bad. I think the FWD still uses the 62TE 6 speed auto.
Its not exactly CVT but a hybrid i wanna say ECT transmission. Feels similar but different than a CVT. My zonks are engine noise under load and the styling is a bit not good compared to Pacifica and Carnival. Its like they are competing with Honda for ugliest lines on a van award. The sienna is not bad, just the Carnival and the Pacifica are a little better.

it’s physics that is why FWD can’t climb long steep hills, even with winter tires

Rte 206 near I-80 going through Flanders, you always see people struggle to climb that hill when it snows.

rte 515 in Vernon township has a giant ill that people struggle to climb up and down when it snows, especially when they travel home from Mountain Creek

then there is rte 23 climbing that road going to High Point that causes problems
Sarajevo neighborhoods from Ottoman period are built on 14-16% grade if not more in some instances. People climb with FWD all the time, snow tires mandatory in the country. Absolute champion in climbing? Golf II diesel.
I climbed every single pass here in winter with VW CC, Blizzak LM60. Is it easier with AWD? Absolutely.

Back