2021 Tiguan 2.0T, FF, First OC 10,188mi VW 508 0w20

First oil change from factory fill, vehicle was purchased last year around the end of April. So some hot summer driving and a tiny bit of cold. Wife drives it primarily with a short 7 mile roundtrip to school first in the morning, then another 10 mile trip to work one way. So 70/30 in favor of city. I hate the Start/Stop system so I disable it when I drive but I doubt she does. I'm impressed honestly, I figured it be worse.

21TIGUAN-I-396331-Sev2.jpg

Last edited:
Of the three vw 508, bmw ll-17fe plus and mb 229.71 i wonder which one is the best overall. i wouldn't be against running them even in an engine that calls for a thicker grade.

Simply stating they're stout and can deliver great reports. I'd use any of those instead of a cheap syn blend 5w-30 all day.
In that regard a $30 spectrographic analysis is not the right tool for the job. Blackstone has stated uncategorically that there is no statistically significant difference between any oil based upon a UOA result.

In that regard a $30 spectrographic analysis is not the right tool for the job. Blackstone has stated uncategorically that there is no statistically significant difference between any oil based upon a UOA result.
Yeah true. Stupid vw, audi, bmw, mercedes ect engineers need to stop using their stringent spec 20 grades because it's so inferior that the vehicle realistically wont last as long if it were to use a 30 or 40 grade equivalent instead.

Yeah true. Stupid vw, audi, bmw, mercedes ect engineers need to stop using their stringent spec 20 grades because it's so inferior that the vehicle realistically wont last as long if it were to use a 30 or 40 grade equivalent instead.
Blame the EU, with their every increasingly stringent Euro emissions requirements, because of Climate Change.

At least be glad Gas Particulate Filters haven't crossed the Atlantic Ocean yet

Blame the EU, with their every increasingly stringent Euro emissions requirements, because of Climate Change.

At least be glad Gas Particulate Filters haven't crossed the Atlantic Ocean yet
I'm just waiting for the unfortunate day that bs makes it here. All the while india, china, south America, india and others crank out more pollution like there's no tomorrow completely pulling the pants on our efforts.

That doesn't look too bad at all considering it is the FF. No Moly? A little surprised about that.
I agree it does look good, I don't ever remember seeing a "bad" VW 508 UOA, nor do I ever recall seeing an approved VW 508 oil that contained moly.

Back