2021 Tesla Model S, is it now the best Tesla choice?

Elon has blessed us with another price break on the S, now only $69,420. This gets you dual motors, premium interior, 402 miles of range, 3.7 0-60 time.

Con: Its still the old body style
Pro: Its still the old body style, they have fixed all the issues now. Maybe they can put them together and have things line up by now.

Con: Its slower than the Model 3 Performance that now sells for only 55k.
Pro: 3.7 seconds vs 3.2 seconds isn't much, and the 402 miles of range vs 299 miles more than makes up for it for a larger touring type car.

Con: Its Not an SUV, this is America and we only buy Trucks or SUVs!
Pro: Again, the range. The Model Y "SUV" only gives you 291 miles and 3.5 0-60. Model X well lets just forget they even built that.

So you get the best range, pretty good acceleration, excellent interior space, all for a price that is getting reasonable. The supercharger network and the 400 mile range makes this a viable touring vehicle. Even with a stiff winter mileage penalty you can go pretty far.

I'm not going to buy one but its getting much more attractive now. If i had to replace our TourX today i would seriously consider the Model S.

If not the Model S, what else fills this roomy touring role with this kind of a price point and sub 4 second 0-60 performance? A Charger Hellcat is competitive, but at great fuel expense.

Throw on a 10% plus WA sales tax plus any other fees and suddenly that $70k car becomes $80k and more.
Ouch. Whatever the sales tax rate is, it would apply to any vehicle, so not really relevant in discussion. Some states have an EV credit too, but WA says you can't spend over 45k and get any credits. Punish those wealthy people WA!

Ouch. Whatever the sales tax rate is, it would apply to any vehicle, so not really relevant in discussion. Some states have an EV credit too, but WA says you can't spend over 45k and get any credits. Punish those wealthy people WA!

Are the wealthy prohibited from purchasing sub-$45K vehicles?

Are the wealthy prohibited from purchasing sub-$45K vehicles?
No, but even a basic Model Y is 49k. It seems quite counterproductive for a state so obsessed with environmentalism to put such a low ceiling on EV incentives.

Nah, he's trolling in order to make a statement. A sex act and recreational marihuana (420) do not make a car. Just wait a month or two until the price drops again. This is truly a dumb business model he is pursuing.

Reactions: Y_K
The only reason Tesla had a price cut is due to Lucid Motors in Casa Grande Arizona showing off their new and longer milage vehicle.

Lucid Air starts at $69,900. Elon lowered the price of the Model S to $69,420 to keep up.
When we bought the Model 3, I asked about a used S vs a new 3. The general consensus is, the 3 is the more developed car.
As the consultants say, "Depends on what you want."
Of the people I know who bought a Model S early on, many purchased a Model 3 as a 2nd car or to replace the S.

If I were goona go all out on a Model 3, I might go for the Model 3 Stealth Performance.
But I would likely end up with what we have, a close to base car.

Good luck.

Nah, he's trolling in order to make a statement. A sex act and recreational marihuana (420) do not make a car. Just wait a month or two until the price drops again. This is truly a dumb business model he is pursuing.
And i thought he was just undercutting Lucid by at least $500.

You might find it interesting to know Lucid was founded and is ran by the chief engineer who built the Model S.
Competition is good for the consumer!

Passenger volume in the model S is quite small for how large it is. Model 3 feels more spacious although it doesn't have the dash cluster.

Passenger volume in the model S is quite small for how large it is. Model 3 feels more spacious although it doesn't have the dash cluster.
Is that true? I've parked next to Model 3s often and they look quite small in the back. I have not sat in either car.
Model S interior.jpg

That picture at least makes it look big in the S.

The Model S is incredibly dated, almost an outright fossil at this point.

Why would you want to buy a 10 year design from the so called company of the future?

A better question is why isn't anything better after 10 years?

This 10 year old is at the top of its segment.

Elon has blessed us with another price break on the S, now only $69,420. This gets you dual motors, premium interior, 402 miles of range, 3.7 0-60 time.

Con: Its still the old body style
Pro: Its still the old body style, they have fixed all the issues now. Maybe they can put them together and have things line up by now.

Con: Its slower than the Model 3 Performance that now sells for only 55k.
Pro: 3.7 seconds vs 3.2 seconds isn't much, and the 402 miles of range vs 299 miles more than makes up for it for a larger touring type car.

Con: Its Not an SUV, this is America and we only buy Trucks or SUVs!
Pro: Again, the range. The Model Y "SUV" only gives you 291 miles and 3.5 0-60. Model X well lets just forget they even built that.

So you get the best range, pretty good acceleration, excellent interior space, all for a price that is getting reasonable. The supercharger network and the 400 mile range makes this a viable touring vehicle. Even with a stiff winter mileage penalty you can go pretty far.

I'm not going to buy one but its getting much more attractive now. If i had to replace our TourX today i would seriously consider the Model S.

If not the Model S, what else fills this roomy touring role with this kind of a price point and sub 4 second 0-60 performance? A Charger Hellcat is competitive, but at great fuel expense.
That's the difference between the 505hp Z06 C6, and 638hp ZR1 C6...

A better question is why isn't anything better after 10 years?

This 10 year old is at the top of its segment.
Because demand for EV wasn't there for the last 10 years, and established automakers have to turn a profit and return money to their shareholders to keep them happy, unlike what is the case for Tesla.

In fact, 10 years ago, the IAE estimates that only roughly 17,000 electric cars were on the road globally. Now, as of last year, while that number has swelled significantly to 7.2 million, roughly half of those are in China. On top of that, it hasn't been a steady increase year-over-year, but rather a sharp increase over the last few years. The Edison Electric Institute claimed that in November of 2018, the U.S. had finally reached the 1 million EV milestone, where 1 million EVs were registered and on the road. Not sales, just on the road. Toyota reported half of that (496,000) in sales during the first quarter of this year. It's really unsurprising why the Model S has been the flagship of EV vehicles for the last 10 years- only Tesla could afford to keep burning money developing a car that wasn't heavily sought after at that time.

Back