2021 Tacoma - 2GR-FKS - 508mile 'Break-in' sample

Here is an oil sample taken from a 2021 Tacoma, 2GR-FKS 3.5L V6.
This is a sample of the FACTORY oil put in on the assembly line.
Sample has 508 miles and a few weeks in the sump.

I changed the oil and filter after taking the sample. OEM filter and Toyota "Branded" OEM 0w20 oil.

I'm thrown off by the silica content. I checked the filter box and intake. All hoses look to be in order and all clamps good and tight. Nothing on the air intake looks out of place and in those 508 miles I drove down maybe 5 miles of actual dirt road. Sounds silly but could it be block casting sand still in the block?

Does anyone happen to know what make/brand of oil Toyota puts in from the factory?

Beyond that, how does the sample look on a brand new engine?

Is fuel dilution that common given this dual-injector setup?

Its been(being) driven with a very light foot. With the exception of a few highway on-ramp accelerations, it only sees 55mph to 60mph. RPMs haven't been above 3k.

Just rolled over 900 miles today. Debating on taking another sample and changing the oil again at 1000 miles.

Thoughts?

TacomaOil.PNG

Last edited:
Silicon probably from sealants used in assembly. Nothing looks out of the ordinary for break in oil. I dont think you will get an accurate baseline until the 3rd oil change at maybe 7K-10k.

have 3k miles on a rx350, same engine. oil still looks new. not changing it till 5k.

It is a waste to do a uoa on a new engine. Give it 10,000 miles before spending $$$ on another UOA.

UOA's before the first 2-3 full OEM recommended OCI are useless because they do not represent the true condition of the engine due to component leaching and assembly lubricants.

So you have a report with wonky silicon, copper, and moly numbers and you just end up having a discussion about exceptions.

UOA's before the first 2-3 full OEM recommended OCI are useless because they do not represent the true condition of the engine due to component leaching and assembly lubricants.

So you have a report with wonky silicon, copper, and moly numbers and you just end up having a discussion about exceptions.
Not useless at all and actually show the condition of the engine beautifully.
You can totally see how well it was assembled by looking at the break in oil. My last new engine had single digit metals from the assembly Lube and subsequent oil changes after that. The same can’t be said about others I’ve seen with the same engine. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Crappy tolerances? Assembled on a Monday when everyone is still hung? Who knows.

How you figure that?
Because after 14k miles the oil separator was empty. Before 12k miles it would have 2~3 oz of oil in it at every OCI. first change at 2k miles, second done at 7K and a third at 13k. By 20K miles change, there was no more blow by.

I'm at 35k miles now, and there is still zero oil in the separator at OCI of 7k miles.

Silicon probably from sealants used in assembly. Nothing looks out of the ordinary for break in oil. I dont think you will get an accurate baseline until the 3rd oil change at maybe 7K-10k.
My last few vehicles did not see baseline values until +20K miles and 4 oil changes. They were certainly trending down after 10K miles but still elevated until 20k miles - Honda 3.5, Lexus 3.5, and Toyota 5.7.

I appreciate every ones input.
What about fuel dilution? Is that normal foe a 2GR-FKS?
There was talk for a long time on the Tacomaworld forum about V6's running rich for the first 20K miles or so and then magically leaning out. ECM programming? Me personally, I think its just the engine work hardening itself into sealing up. I'm far from a powertrain//induction engineer but the run a little rich for break-in then revert to standard program trap doors in automotive programming seem a little wasteful of man hours in my book. There will always be varying degrees of fuel dilution in a gas burning air breather; don't get me wrong, I pay close attention to that metric as well in our Honda. Maybe a member who works in that field can help us out on that one without compromising proprietary information. If you want some comparison data points, here is a 5K break in sample from our old K24 Honda Accord; the fuel dilution was >5%
1647000646808.jpeg

Last edited:
Back