2021 Sony Bravia TV announcement

I like plasma picture quality but man they can heat up a room If used for long periods of time.

That may be ok In winter but I don't wanna feel like I'm outdoors in AZ when I'm in my house during summer months.
Eh, that’s quite an exaggeration, I think.

Ive had my Pana ST50 plasma for over 8 years now, and never noticed it “heating up the room”.

Sure, if you go up to it and put your hand within 6”, you can feel warmth.

Wow, you do have an old one.

My Panasonic TC-P50ST50 50” plasma that I bought in 2012 is still working great.

Just a bit of image retention from the Fox News Channel logo. But it’s only visible if you really look for it.

I bought it summer of 2009

I had one also before that I bought in fall 2005 but it stayed at my old place when I moved.

I love my 50” Kuro but the configuration of my HT room has changed and I’m moving up to a 75” 4K Sony.

Ive had my Pana ST50 plasma for over 8 years now, and never noticed it “heating up the room”.

Well, your Panasonic plasma uses roughly 300% more electricity then your typical high end LED TV like a Sony.

Roughly 655 Watts for a 58 inch Panasonic Plasma vs roughly 212 watts for a much larger $1500 Sony LED 65 inch.

Only 175 Watts for a 55 inch Sony LED compared to 655 Watts for a 58 Panasonic Plasma
Getting rid of the plasma is a huge energy savings.

It wouldn't be unreasonable depending on the room size for a 650watt or more heater (or TV) to heat a room.

58" Pani specs

Sony Specs

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
Well, your Panasonic uses roughly 270% more electricity then your typical high end TV like a Sony.
Roughly 655 Watts for a 58 inch Panasonic Plasma vs roughly 240 watts for a $1500 Sony 60 inch.

It wouldn't be unreasonable depending on the room size for a 650watt or more heater (or TV) heat a room.

58" Pani specs
They do heat up a room. Ours was in our bedroom and in the summer it would be noticeably warmer if used for a few hours and the bedroom door was closed.

An ex co-worker said his thermostat for his townhouse was very close to his plasma TV and due to the amount of heat off that plasma the furnace wouldn't come on that often because it was warm in that room. Your experience may vary or maybe you don't feel big temperature differences. I used a thermal temp gun and the temp from a plasma was at least 20F more on the screen surface then an LCD/LED screen

Our 55" plasma is in our "workout" room and is only used ~8-10hrs a week while strolling on the treadmill, I gladly pay a little extra to power it rather then spend $100's or more on a mid-grade to high-end new TV to replace it that doesn't provide near the quality of picture it does.

Our 55" plasma is in our "workout" room and is only used ~8-10hrs a week while strolling on the treadmill, I gladly pay a little extra to power it rather then spend $100's or more on a mid-grade to high-end new TV to replace it that doesn't provide near the quality of picture it does.
Incorrect, mid to high end TVs do produce far better quality picture then the old 1080p Plasma's did/do
The 4K, HDR and 4K upscaling on our Sony x900 is hands down far superior to our previous Panasonic 1080p 58 inch plasma. Not even in the same league.
You maybe mixing up comparing Plasma 1080p TVs to 1080p LED.

The mid to high end Sonys and Samsungs and LGs are far superior with their 4k Picture and HDR compared to 1080p

Incorrect, mid to high end TVs do produce far better quality picture then the old 1080p Plasma's did/do
The 4K, HDR and 4K upscaling on our Sony x900 is hands down far superior to our previous Panasonic 1080p 58 inch plasma. Not even in the same league.
You maybe mixing up comparing Plasma 1080p TVs to 1080p LED.

The mid to high end Sonys and Samsungs and LGs are far superior with their 4k Picture and HDR compared to 1080p
Nope not incorrect on my part or confusing anything and of course opinions will vary, I am just saying that I am more than happy not replacing a perfectly good TV that has a great THX certified picture with another TV based on wattage especially with such little use.

I have researched TV's quite a but over the years and I will argue that some newer ones with blooming, dirty panels, non-uniformity, low contrast and overly bright washed out picture "quality" don't compare with plasma....... and all in all I have no desire to watch anything in 4K while jogging.

We have calibrated OLED's in our living room and bedroom so I more than understand true picture superiority.

Nope not incorrect on my part or confusing anything and of course opinions will vary, I am just saying that I am more than happy not replacing a perfectly good TV that has a great THX certified picture with another TV based on wattage especially with such little use.

I have researched TV's quite a but over the years and I will argue that some newer ones with blooming, dirty panels, non-uniformity, low contrast and overly bright washed out picture "quality" don't compare with plasma....... and all in all I have no desire to watch anything in 4K while jogging.

We have calibrated OLED's in our living room and bedroom so I more than understand true picture superiority.
I agree; my Kuro has a better picture in terms of color accuracy and deep blacks than any new set excluding a LG or Sony OLED.

I can say our Sony 4K x900 is superior in every way to our past Panasonic 1080p Plasma. The 1080p plasma was the standard that all other 1080p TVs were compared in its time and was clearly superior in its time but that time was the past and plasma is out to pasture as well as 1080p.
That’s our experience, we can’t ever see a higher end 4K quality TV being inferior to a 1080p of any type

This is just one of several forum threads that have convinced me that I won't be happy with anything short of a Sony A9G. At 77" I don't think I could deal with the blooming and off-axis degradation of a LED display.
We have a LG 65" C9 in the living room and 55" A9G in the bedroom that was a floor display model, the pictures are excellent and my only complaint is the Sony has just a slight amount of black crush on very dark scenes, LG fixed that with a firmware update but that's a minor issue.

We tried a Sony LED when we remodeled but we found it to be to bright and it and didn't have quite the contrast we expected after years of watching a plasma.

You will be more than happy with a OLED display.

This is just one of several forum threads that have convinced me that I won't be happy with anything short of a Sony A9G. At 77" I don't think I could deal with the blooming and off-axis degradation of a LED display.
No question OLED is the standard by which others are measured.
It just depends where its being measured. Well made displays have specific purposes, not always one size fits all or one technology fits all. It depends on how well that technology is being implemented.
In a home theater? Laboratory ? Regular home?

For us, it would have been a mistake to go OLED, its documented across the well made major brands not to have the brightness of a well made LED. Our Sony 65 inch X900 4k picture quality is vastly superior and brighter compared to the Panasonic 58 inch 1080p Plasma that we had.
Picture does not degrade off axis any more then the plasma did. Completely unnoticeable anyplace in this room. Heck I can even see the picture well from the second floor. :eek:)

Our great room, where we watch 90% of TV and movies has 16 foot high ceilings with windows that face west, no curtains.
Although the windows are tinted the room is quite bright and a bright crisp screen is a must have for us. Though we do not have much time for TV during the daytime nor care too.
Just typing this for others who may have similar concerns. One must also keep in mind blanket statements about any brand or type of any product or technology are meaningless unless provided the model number of the product. Technology and models change constantly across all brands.

IMG_3845.jpeg

Last edited:

I put the fireplace on YouTube on my 42” pan plasma from 2008 during Christmas time. You can feel the heat when you walk over by it but not overpowering. It kinda gives you the feeling of actually having a fireplace mentaly.

I almost replaced it super bowl Sunday because the tuner is crummy and doesn’t want to pull in local channels without the digital pixelating. I sucked it up and used our newer 32” Samsung LCD from our bedroom. I paid over 800 for the plasma new and then a few years later the same model was down to 300 so I am gonna get my monies worth out of it out of spite.

Back