2021 Silverado/Sierra Engine 5.3L

I may, I repeat may buy a 2021 Chevy Trail Boss. The one I am looking at has a build date of 02/2021. I do believe this truck has NO DFM (Dynamic Fuel Management) system working due to the chip issue. And that's 100% fine by me. What has me a little skittish is this preliminary bulletin (PIP5776E) Misfile Due to Collapsed Lifter issued 6/18/21. VIN build dates are 9/1/20 thru 3/31/21

I guessing there are some bad batch of lifters out there? I'm trying to get a feel as to how common this is. I guess like anything it's hit and miss. But to drop close to 55K on a truck with a known potential issue may be a bridge too far for me. Anyone have a 2020 or 2021 and has your truck experienced any misfires or lifter/pushrod issues.

Finally found the exact trim and options I want and now I come across this.

AT least its disabled, I hated the system on my 2018 Silverado 1500, Love the fact that the 6.6 gas in my 2021 6.6 gas engine has none of this.

IDK about the lifter thing. I am on one of the 3.0 Duramax facebook group and some of the GM Techs on there say they have been doing lifter and rocker arm repairs on a lot of 5.3/6.2's.

For the price, I would have a hard time buying anything but the 3.0 if I was buying a GM 1500. Its only slightly more than the 5.3L and cheaper than the 6.2L.

IDK about the lifter thing. I am on one of the 3.0 Duramax facebook group and some of the GM Techs on there say they have been doing lifter and rocker arm repairs on a lot of 5.3/6.2's.

For the price, I would have a hard time buying anything but the 3.0 if I was buying a GM 1500. Its only slightly more than the 5.3L and cheaper than the 6.2L.
I have the Colorado 2.8 Duramax and it's been solid as a rock for 60k. As a matter of fact, I won't trade it in. It's my daily driver.

I would go for the 3.0 Duramax, however the Silverado Trail Boss edition does not offer that motor as an option. Only the 5.3 and 6.2 gassers. The RST has the 3.0 as an option, but I'm really sold on the Trail Boss.

Now the GMC version of the TB, the AT4 does indeed offer the 3.0 as an option. But I just like the way the Chevy looks over the GMC version. Decisions, decisions.

The DoD lifters were known to fail prematurely and collapse on the LS-based engines, I'm not sure if that carried in to the LT-based engines.

With the LS-based engines, you would use HP Tuners (or similar) to delete/disable the DoD program and install non-DoD aftermarket lifters and arms.

I have a 2021 Tahoe with the 6.2.

GM has a known valve spring issue for vehicles built 6/2020-early 10/2020. From what I understand, the spring manufacturer was using an incorrect set of parameters when QC-ing the springs. The parameters were broader than what GM spec'd. So, the potentially faulty springs are just as subset of those manufactured. The prevailing school of thought is that if you have one of the bad springs, it will fail within a few hundred miles of operation. Some claim failures after a few thousand miles, but they are few and far between. If a spring fails on a 5.3, only the cylinder bank of the failed spring gets new springs. If a spring fails on a 6.2, both banks get new springs. Not sure on the reasoning.

They've also acknowledged the lifter issue, which I'll take your word affects October-January built engines. I'm on a couple forums and a Facebook group and the lifter failures are almost a daily occurrence, with people reporting numerous vehicles at the dealership with failed lifters and just waiting on parts that never show up. It seems like the lifter issue is much more widespread than the spring issue.

I've got just under 10k on the Tahoe and haven't had an issue. It was built July 2020 and we bought it Labor Day weekend. Just took it on a 3100 mile road trip and it was flawless.

I have the Colorado 2.8 Duramax and it's been solid as a rock for 60k. As a matter of fact, I won't trade it in. It's my daily driver.

I would go for the 3.0 Duramax, however the Silverado Trail Boss edition does not offer that motor as an option. Only the 5.3 and 6.2 gassers. The RST has the 3.0 as an option, but I'm really sold on the Trail Boss.

Now the GMC version of the TB, the AT4 does indeed offer the 3.0 as an option. But I just like the way the Chevy looks over the GMC version. Decisions, decisions.

See, I am much more of a fan of the RST look than the TB. I like the color matched bumper and grill bars. Plus, every other Silverado I see is a TB. Just get an RST with the diesel offroad package(which comes with 3.73 gears btw) and go get a set of wheels and tires. It's not like the TB offers anything that special other than the looks.

1625764633330.jpg

I have a 2021 Tahoe with the 6.2.

GM has a known valve spring issue for vehicles built 6/2020-early 10/2020. From what I understand, the spring manufacturer was using an incorrect set of parameters when QC-ing the springs. The parameters were broader than what GM spec'd. So, the potentially faulty springs are just as subset of those manufactured. The prevailing school of thought is that if you have one of the bad springs, it will fail within a few hundred miles of operation. Some claim failures after a few thousand miles, but they are few and far between. If a spring fails on a 5.3, only the cylinder bank of the failed spring gets new springs. If a spring fails on a 6.2, both banks get new springs. Not sure on the reasoning.

They've also acknowledged the lifter issue, which I'll take your word affects October-January built engines. I'm on a couple forums and a Facebook group and the lifter failures are almost a daily occurrence, with people reporting numerous vehicles at the dealership with failed lifters and just waiting on parts that never show up. It seems like the lifter issue is much more widespread than the spring issue.

I've got just under 10k on the Tahoe and haven't had an issue. It was built July 2020 and we bought it Labor Day weekend. Just took it on a 3100 mile road trip and it was flawless.
Can't fine more than this preliminary TSB on the lifter issue. It's new, dated 6/18/21

#PIP5776E - Misfire Due To Collapsed Lifter - (Jun 18, 2021)

VIN build dates 9/1/20 thru 3/31/21. I may check out the FB group on this and try to get some idea of how widespread. Seems like if a full blown recall is enacted, those new units on the dealer lots would be fixed prior to sale.

Makes you wonder if all the chaos caused by CV19 totally threw the world of quality control out the door.

See, I am much more of a fan of the RST look than the TB. I like the color matched bumper and grill bars. Plus, every other Silverado I see is a TB. Just get an RST with the diesel offroad package(which comes with 3.73 gears btw) and go get a set of wheels and tires. It's not like the TB offers anything that special other than the looks.

View attachment 62783
Factory level/lift > no level/lift

I have not researched it (yet) but I do believe that the actual GM part for 2" TB/AT4 lift is sold thru the parts department. I've read on some forums that they ordered it. Be worth looking into.
yeah but then it has to be installed after the fact

with TB, it's already factory installed

and there's more to the TB than just the level/lift as well

yeah but then it has to be installed after the fact

with TB, it's already factory installed

and there's more to the TB than just the level/lift as well
All true, but no 3.0 diesel in the TB

With the GM lift I believe you also need the rear springs. GM part 84768245

Would be a great project putting the GM 2" lift on a RST. If I were retired it would be a great project. But now I just don't have the time with work and a wife. Maybe someday.

All true, but no 3.0 diesel in the TB

With the GM lift I believe you also need the rear springs. GM part 84768245

Would be a great project putting the GM 2" lift on a RST. If I were retired it would be a great project. But now I just don't have the time with work and a wife. Maybe someday.
ick 3.0l diesel

ick

AT least its disabled, I hated the system on my 2018 Silverado 1500, Love the fact that the 6.6 gas in my 2021 6.6 gas engine has none of this.
Have you had any issues with your 6.6 gas? This is the only engine I would consider in GM's engine lineup. The only thing I don't like is that it has direct injection and I'm wondering about carbon issues in the long term.

Impossible to say at this point since its only 7 months old with 4k miles. I am picky about the fuel I run and will likely run some fuel system cleaner going forward. I do like the power and the lack of AFM is nice. So far I am impressed.
Considering all the issues I had with the LLY Duramax in my last HD truck, I have nowhere to go but up.

Reactions: wtd
how long do you keep your vehicles? seems like a big factor here. if you want to keep it past the factory powertrain warranty, then you are probably taking a risk unless you want to go with an extended warranty?

Uhh have you seen the ZR2 Silverado they have coming? If you want a half ton with some extra clearance that thing is gonna be sweet! Also you can just do your own lift kit setup on top of whatever trim combo you want. Factory trail boss is a nice modest factory lift, and i like factory, but it is no ZR2 or aftermarket. My recently sold 16 GMC 6.2 had a really good BDS coilover lift and its handling of bumps was impressive.

The latest generation of cylinder shutoffery may not be as reliable as the 2016 i had. Mine worked great but it was just V4 or V8 modes. V4 and a 40 mph steady road would yield really good MPG readouts like 35+ if you drive on roads of that speed a lot.

My next truck, if GM, will be a 6.6 HD. I can yield some MPG for durability.

Back