2021 RAV4 Hybrid AWD hot rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I mentioned I had a RAV6...he said he hated them because he felt they drew sales away from the more expensive Lexus SUV models.

Absolutely. When I was looking, the higher end RAV4 hybrids were like $40K. Or more...
Why would anyone pay that when for a little more you are talking Lexus?

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I mentioned I had a RAV6...he said he hated them because he felt they drew sales away from the more expensive Lexus SUV models.

Absolutely. When I was looking, the higher end RAV4 hybrids were like $40K. Or more...

In theory that is true.

But in practice, I think most of the Lexus crossovers sell for closer to $50-55K. I rarely see RX's with sticker prices under $55K. So it is still a different segment of the market.

Originally Posted by The Critic

In theory that is true.

But in practice, I think most of the Lexus crossovers sell for closer to $50-55K. I rarely see RX's with sticker prices under $55K. So it is still a different segment of the market.

Michael, it is not that hard to get almost $10K off sticker. 8 is a breeze. I have bought 2 RX450h, our 2018 and my sister's 2019.
Patty's fairly loaded 2019 stickered for $59+ and I paid like $50. Of course it was my 3rd purchase at Putnam Lexus...
The gas models are even easier cuz everyone wants the hybrid.
The RX is Lexus' bread and butter. The Bay Area is the #1 Lexus market in the world.
The lease deals can be incredible as well (I hate leases) cuz they wanna see you in 3 years.
I do realize we live in a unique place... So many dealers makes it easier to play them off against each other.

Did you know Apple bought almost every 2018 RX450h at Srevens Creek Lexus to work on their autonomous vehicle?
They had zero when I started looking and the used ones on the lot were at top dollar.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Originally Posted by paoester
A super expensive hot rod Rav4 ! Usually reserved for the Lexus side of things.
These Rav4s are ugly. Guess you have to buy into that messed-up-chunky style.

302 hp would work in pu trucks or vans. Its time they put this in a Tundra.

Disagree. Trucks need a long flat torque curve of significant force. While the electric motor of a hybrid excels at peak torque right off the line from zero mph, it drops off quickly and the gasoline side of the driveline is not packing sufficient lb-ft to make a truck-like torque curve as the electric motor torque drops off with increasing rpm.

The rear electric motor in any future Tundra application would need to be bigger than the Rav4 one. There is your extra torque. And I'd agree it would be better with more launch torque.
Also, remember, a planetary gearset (Synergy power split device) 2-motor transmission revs easily and quickly to higher power levels, using the full 302+ hp in a heavier van-or-Tundra application.

My memory is that the similar Lexus when I was trying to buy a 2006 RAV6 was the RX350, but Wiki tells me it wasn't being offered yet and the RX330 was still current...which makes no sense to me at all. Maybe I was shopping later in 2006 than I recall.
Anyway, my sometimes faulty brain thinks that the dealership was waiting me out to try to get me to buy a RX350 instead...the Lexus was heavier and therefore would be slower barring a much better tranny and was also reputed to have a very soft ride unless an expensive sports suspension option was purchased. Given that I wanted to zip around like a lunatic and that luxury means little to me beyond having heated leather seats, going Lexus had next to no appeal even ignoring the price difference...I ended up paying in the low 30s for the Toyota and I'm sure the Lexus would have been over 40.
My #2 option at the time was a Dodge Magnum V8 (the wimpy 340HP version), but despite the power I didn't find the car especially fun to drive...I test drove it more than once and always came away feeling like I must have done something wrong. Maybe I would have loved it if I had bought one...in contrast, I came away from the RAV6 test drive thinking I had finally found what I was looking for.

Very curious how this does "at speed" (does that 5.8 0-60 translate into a solid trap speed and good 40-60 and 60-80 or not so much?). Also, if the AWD functions at all speeds. The current RAV4 Hybrid only has AWD at lower speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back