2021 Nissan Titan VK56DE - How specific of oil?

2021 Nissan Titan-VK56DE

Asks for 0-20 or 5-30 I believe. SN and GF5.

Can Euro blends in 0-40 be used or just the specific recommended?

Sure you can run 40 but it moves around valve timing a bit when cold.

You'll find this mill shreds oil like a 6 month old puppy goes after the Sunday paper.
If you are running 20 change that oil right on the mile as it'll be chopped up.

I ran 40 when towing in the desert in the summer or for long trips with high weight, after a hard hot long pull it would show good pressure at idle

Towing on 30 left the oil pressure pretty low at idle after the same hard long tow.

Just cruising around with passengers or the occasional couch in the bed 20's great.

I would use a 5w-30 thru the warranty period. You are basically asking if an oil not specified by the mfg can be used. Yes, it will work, but you risk a possible warranty quagmire should some oil related issue occur. You might be handing them a reason for warranty denial JMO.

As long as it is synthetic, wouldn't worry about grade. Stick with full synthetic oil. Nevada, does it get warm there?

I also wouldn't extend the intervals. Definitely consider an early filter change.

I picked up more Kirkland for the Titan and will use the 0-40 and 5-40 on the GLC300. Looks like Kirkland updated their specs or approvals from the last batch I bought. Left (New) Right (Old)
IMG_7341.jpg

How is the titan? XD or regular?

Been thinking about a Titan XD with the 5.6L to replace my Ecoboost due to my Ecoboost running so hot towing here in Utah.

Been thinking about a Titan XD with the 5.6L to replace my Ecoboost due to my Ecoboost running so hot towing here in Utah.
I've put all of 100 miles on it so too soon to say. Its the regular, I needed just a light truck. I chose the Titan because it was a simpler truck. I also chose the Titan because out of all the brands I have owned (many) I have had the best luck with Nissan (knocks on wood).

Example:
No start/stop
No cylinder deactivation
No turbos and all the complexity that come with them

Hasn’t the xd been discontinued for a bit?

edit: apparently not, I swear something about the 2nd gen was discontinued. Know what I’m referring to?

I've put all of 100 miles on it so too soon to say. Its the regular, I needed just a light truck. I chose the Titan because it was a simpler truck. I also chose the Titan because out of all the brands I have owned (many) I have had the best luck with Nissan (knocks on wood).

Example:
No start/stop
No cylinder deactivation
No turbos and all the complexity that come with them

The titan is a great truck.

Mines done every bit the job and more my american half tons did.

Daughter's boyfriend has one and last I seen it was nearing 300k. He got it cheap as it was a no start at 200k and shop told original owner it jumped time. From what he stated it was a simple fix however I don't remember what he told me. He has put close to 100k since he has owned it which surprised me as lots of abuse.

I’d run a good 10W-30 like M1-EP. On sale right now from Walmart for $9.47/5 qt jug plus tax, after $15 MIR.

I just picked up 4 jugs.

As long as it is synthetic, wouldn't worry about grade. Stick with full synthetic oil. Nevada, does it get warm there?

I also wouldn't extend the intervals. Definitely consider an early filter change.
Why synthetic?
Just curious.

Dealership runs *Shield Choice 0w20 here.
so... Motorcraft Synblend 0w20
I'm running *Ultraclean 0w20 in an XD, another synblend.
*Pennzoil Gold and *QS Synblend 0w20 sometimes exists.
Havoline has a HM synblend 0w20 out there.

*All these Oil Companies websites say these oils are compatible with the Titan and Titan XD 5.6

Im sure there are plenty of V8s are out there with timing chains and are filled with any of the above, living their lives to the fullest.

OP shouldn't have any issues with any of those oils. An API-rated 0w20 synblend isn't going to harm a thing. Enjoy the truck, change its oil every 6mo/5k miles.

Edit: and yes OP, thats what makes these trucks great.
No cylinder deactivation, No rev limits, No Start Stop, they just run.
I average 16.5mpg on 87, I averaged 18.5 on 89 in my previous 2018 Ram 1500 5.7
The only thing I dislike is the lack of an LSD.
Which I would suggest doing soon as well, the OEM stuff is dank and ugh, :sick:
fwiw Nissan 75w90 is ridiculously priced

Last edited:
The disastrous Cummins engine that has no replacement parts available? Turbos for example.
Ouch...that's only been out of production for 2 years. I suppose you could repower one to a gasser like the old Oldsmobile diesels but in this modern era that's a LOT of electronics to sort out.

I picked up more Kirkland for the Titan and will use the 0-40 and 5-40 on the GLC300. Looks like Kirkland updated their specs or approvals from the last batch I bought. Left (New) Right (Old)
View attachment 50186
How did your Titan like that Kirkland 5w-30? Tried any more ther alternatives? I’ve been running 0w-20 Pennzoil UP this winter but wanted to go to a 5w-30 for my next oil change.

How did your Titan like that Kirkland 5w-30? Tried any more ther alternatives? I’ve been running 0w-20 Pennzoil UP this winter but wanted to go to a 5w-30 for my next oil change.
I am using Kirkland 0w-20 now and had two changes of Kirkland 5w-30 prior. No change. Even fuel economy does not change with either oil.

I would use a 5w-30 thru the warranty period. You are basically asking if an oil not specified by the mfg can be used. Yes, it will work, but you risk a possible warranty quagmire should some oil related issue occur. You might be handing them a reason for warranty denial JMO.

They cannot deny your warranty because of the motor oil you used. They cannot deny your warranty because you did not have the dealership change your oil.
As long as the oil meets the current rating,(SN, CK, or whatever that engine specs) you can use whatever you want.

Nissan seems to be recommending 0w20 across the board these days. I've substituted it with synthetic 5w30 since 2016 in my Nissans.

Has their been a time when Titans weren't a great truck aside from a few issues earlier on? I don't know if it's the Nissan 'quality' stigma, their complete lack of marketing that killed the titan or a combo of the two.

I know a few years back when we got my FIL's Frontier and my Pathfinder, that particular dealer would only stock one or two Titans a time due to slow/no sales of them.

Back