2021 Nissan Altima SR rental review.

I've rented the G Caravan a couple of times. They work really well and are very comfortable. Fast too. However, getting one as a rental takes an act of God. There are very few of them at the destinations I frequent.
If you are feeling a trip to Orlando you will be golden - its a challenge to find something other than a minivan or 7 passenger SUV there. I wish I knew someone in rental fleet planning to see the mix at various stations.

I’d buy an Altima in a heartbeat. The CVT is just fine with the right maintenance, which you won’t hear. Only complaints are heard. I do wish the false shifting was not programmed in. My 2012 got 36mpg no problem, but a new rental I had for a week could not achieve that number. I love my Rouge.

I’d not buy one with a CVT at all. And I’m pretty tall so I need leg room so it would be off my list and I don’t buy that brand. At least you don’t have Geico so you don’t have to drive around advertising for them LOL. Every time we get hit it’s someone from Geico and we have to drive around the ugly white car with the Geico on the side because that is what they use for their rental vehicles.

While my Accord is in the body shop, my insurance hooked me up with a brand new Altima SR (has only 500 something miles on it). Fully loaded to the max. Car's build is extremely sturdy. Engine is very powerful. CVT feels amazing. Weird that it actually shifts. I like how cruising it keeps the rpm's super low, probably makes it get really good gas mileage.

Only negative is that it feels really cramped, especially for such a big sedan. It has that "wall" thingy between the front seats just like the Camry my in-laws rented one time when we all went to Delaware, and like the last gen Taurus's had. Someone tall with long legs like me can't stretch out. My Accord feels HUGE compared to it.

Now to the good part........OIL:D The owner's manual says to either use 0W20 synthetic OR 5W30 Nissan Ester Oil. Hmmmmmm,a thicker oil recommendation🤔. You all can guess what I'm about to say how I feel about W20 oils:D.

My son rented one for a long road trip and stated he got 40mpg.

I really loved the feel of the Altima’s CVT transmission.
I agree. I had a 2013 Accord EXL with the 4cylinder/CVT and it never had any issues. But the Accord always felt like it would lunge while coming to a stop. The Altima of that era was smoother for sure. I think they are both very reliable these days.

Not with Nissan and Renault..........no thanks.
Not to mention cvts.
That's right. Renaults are as unreliable as they were 50 years ago. I guess that's why I saw so many of them in Denmark. But then again guys on here don't get around much.

That's right. Renaults are as unreliable as they were 50 years ago. I guess that's why I saw so many of them in Denmark. But then again guys on here don't get around much.
😝😝😝😝
Thanks world traveler, did you ever OWN a Renault?
I did and my father did when we lived in London,
After that and owning a Nissan.
You could not give me one of those POS's.
Bring the globe hopper you are Im sure you have owned a slew of amazing Renault vehicles.
I bown down to your infinite wisdom and superior opinion.

😝😝😝😝
Thanks world traveler, did you ever OWN a Renault?
I did and my father did when we lived in London,
After that and owning a Nissan.
You could not give me one of those POS's.
Bring the globe hopper you are Im sure you have owned a slew of amazing Renault vehicles.
I bown down to your infinite wisdom and superior opinion.
How long ago did you own a Renault? And the Nissan? In the case of the Nissan-was it a model available in the U.S. with a similar power train?

My Nissans were the best cars I've ever owned (three Nissan Z's).
I've owned three Nissan products and enjoyed them all. None were best in class or anything like that, but they offered nice features at an extremely competitive price.

I would definitely consider an Altima if I was in the market for midsized non-luxury sedans (though with current features and capabilities, I don't think there's much of a reason to pay 10-20k more for a luxury iteration).
  • 2004 Infiniti i35 (used) -- very nice midsized sedan, based on the Maxima
  • 2012 Titan (new)
  • 2015 Juke (new)

Back