2021 Nissan Altima SR rental review.

While my Accord is in the body shop, my insurance hooked me up with a brand new Altima SR (has only 500 something miles on it). Fully loaded to the max. Car's build is extremely sturdy. Engine is very powerful. CVT feels amazing. Weird that it actually shifts. I like how cruising it keeps the rpm's super low, probably makes it get really good gas mileage.

Only negative is that it feels really cramped, especially for such a big sedan. It has that "wall" thingy between the front seats just like the Camry my in-laws rented one time when we all went to Delaware, and like the last gen Taurus's had. Someone tall with long legs like me can't stretch out. My Accord feels HUGE compared to it.

Now to the good part........OIL:D The owner's manual says to either use 0W20 synthetic OR 5W30 Nissan Ester Oil. Hmmmmmm,a thicker oil recommendation🤔. You all can guess what I'm about to say how I feel about W20 oils:D.

Aren't they technically "mid size" since the Maxima is their biggest sedan offering? But still surprised you say its cramped inside.

Aren't they technically "mid size" since the Maxima is their biggest sedan offering? But still surprised you say its cramped inside.
I agree. OP must be a pretty big dude.

I thoroughly enjoyed the 2020 we had Last March. Despite being AWD, it returned astounding fuel economy.
Once you do a road trip with one, you'll fully understand what they mean by "zero gravity seats".

The most impressive thing about this car is the rock solid "built like a tank" build quality, and the powerful engine. It's a beautiful car!! I'll post some pictures of it here eventually. I just wish it didn't have that "wall" between the two front seats. Anyone who's driven a Taurus or Camry will know what I mean. You can't spread your legs out. You have to keep them stretched out in front of you.

I'm not a CVT fan, so an Altima isn't on my list. But if it doesn't have leg room even in the front, it's definitely off my list.

I'm not a CVT fan, so an Altima isn't on my list. But if it doesn't have leg room even in the front, it's definitely off my list.
Yeah and you're taller than me. That's the only negative I've found so far. The rest of the car is awesome!!

It sounds like they have improved then from the last generation, as it should be. We rented the previous body style and build quality was less than desirable. Flimsy plastic panels that scratched too easily is what I remember. It drove fine for what it was. Nothing too impressive, smooth A to B transportation.

I'm wondering if I could get used to the "slim" seating. The rest of the car is absolutely amazing!! Looking forward to driving it around while I have it.

And a BITOG "must ask" question. I wonder what oil Enterprise uses?:D

I do prefer the comfort in the Altima's seats compared to its competition which are often too narrow for my particular driving comfort. I don't like heavily bolstered seats nor being held into place that tightly in the hip/thigh area.

I never thought that Nissan's Zero Gravity Seats were a big deal til I sat in everything else TODAY and realized that every car maker is NOW making terrible seats. My wife & I both agree that the seats in vehicles in the past were more comfortable than most of today's vehicles with few exceptions...and we're not large people.

We've even sat/driven a few new Lexus' that have gone down hill in seat comfort compared to her old RX300.

Last edited:
I think someone above said - they are great rental and fleet vehicles, I really enjoy them but personally I would never own one because of the questionable CVT that "has its problems worked out" every dang generation until they get old enough for the CVT to take a dump.

Altima 2.5/3.5 and Maxima 3.5 were my top picks in the National Emerald Aisle when I travelled for work. All the Sonatas I had were nothing to write home about and the 2.4 GDI was not too terribly great on fuel once you started pushing 75 MPH - interior was garbage compared to Altima. Camry I really enjoyed the prior generation, tried one of the current generation and it was a step backward in refinement compared to the prior gen.

If you need leg splaying comfort see if they can put you in a Grand Caravan. :ROFLMAO: I had a few on work trips where I flew into Orlando and first time I was not happy at all, after one time with a Grand Caravan I did not flinch if I had to take another one as they are the supreme long distance comfort champ.

I've had several Grand Caravan and Town & Country while on family vacations. They are my preference when traveling with family and luggage & gear. I could actually live with one everyday if my lifestyle warranted it but it really doesn't. They're a very easy to live with vehicle.

I've had several Grand Caravan and Town & Country while on family vacations. They are my preference when traveling with family and luggage & gear. I could actually live with one everyday if my lifestyle warranted it but it really doesn't. They're a very easy to live with vehicle.

I've rented the G Caravan a couple of times. I like them, they work really well and are very comfortable. Fast too. However, getting one as a rental takes an act of God. There are very few of them at the destinations I frequent. It brings up the point that one cannot assume you can rent what you need, if you need something other than what they typically offer. When you need a pickup truck for a trip, you'd better reserve it a month in advance and hold the manager accountable when he fails to deliver.

The Altima is always a fav rental car. I love the seats and the superb highway MPG. I get 36MPG at er, ah, ah, MPH. Let's just say the speed traveled is near (about 7mph less than) a particular and distinct number.

Back