2021 Mustang Convertible (2.3 Ecoboost) Rental Review.

I rented a 2021 Ford Mustang "Premium" Convertible over the weekend. It had the 2.3 liter Ecoboost engine, and an automatic transmission. Black exterior, black top, and black heated and cooled leather seats. Only two options that I could find on it were the AT, and a spare tire. This seems to be how Enterprise is buying them, as a local Ford dealer has the exact car on their lot, a used 2020 with 19,000 miles, which was also owned by Enterprise.

Had it for 3 days and put 965 miles on it. It had right at 5,000 miles when I picked it up. I drove it into Missouri and Indiana. Average over that time was 27.5mpg on 87 octane gas. This was 90% highway driving. Not only was it time to take it back, because the weekend was over, but also because it is raining now, and is supposed to rain for the next two days.

My impressions? I don't think I'd own one. I'd definitely not have one as a daily driver.

The engine: The engine is fun, but only once you get the turbo spooled up, and it is happily within its power band. When it is, it's a hoot.

The transmission: The transmission seemed to have issues with keeping track of what the engine was doing, and then matching up and doing the right thing at the right time. There were times when just simply accelerating off of a stop light, the trans would get confused as to what gear it should be in. Generally, it did fine under normal driving, and did fine with hard driving... but in between, not so much. Sport mode only made the transmission behave worse.

The brakes: They seem to be mainly controlled by an on/off switch. Do they have good bite and work well? Yes... yes they do. But there are times that a bit more subtle would have been a good thing. Subtle was very difficult thing to consistently find. I suspect that a lot of this could be resolved with a different choice of pad.

The factory stereo was a touch on the weak side, with the top down, at interstate speed. I counted 9 speakers.

The gimmick of pumping fake intake engine noise through the speakers, when the car was in 'sport' mode is exactly that. A cheap gimmick. And to make it worse. it is a fake sound.

The lane keeping system was waaayyy too sensitive. It was vibrating the steering wheel too much, despite which settings were selected. Thankfully, it was quickly and easily turned off using a button on the end of the turn signal stalk.

The Pre-Collision system was mixed. One time (the first time it kicked in), I thought it was appropriate... some people in a minivan missed their turn, so they just decided to stop in the middle of the road, right in front of me.. The other time I thought it was being too aggressive. I was changing lanes on the interstate, and it appearently thought that I didn't see the back end of a semi truck (???). There very well might be settings to fine tune that to a driver's liking. Probably turned all the way up by default, especially since it is a rental car.

In the picture below, it is parked next to my buddy's 2017 Mustang GT (5.0/MT) Convertible, that he bought new in 2019. We had lunch together Friday in suburban St. Louis.

1621276431619.jpg

Thanks for your review. I'm not a big fan of small turbo engines that try to be bigger engines. Nor am I a fan of bloated electronic systems in cars.

I considered a turbo 4 cylinder versus a 5.0 Mustang 4-5 years ago. The 4 was peppy and fun on a test drive, but I couldn't see owning one. The 5.0 was just too expensive for me at that time. So it was neither. If I were to buy one now it would be a ~decade old low miles well loved 6 or 8 cylinder.

small turbod engines need a manual tranny, but manufacturers love slush boxes as they are in full control + easier to meet EPA guidelines + thats why few manuals are around today!!

small turbod engines need a manual tranny, but manufacturers love slush boxes as they are in full control + easier to meet EPA guidelines + thats why few manuals are around today!!
That and few people want them. The 5% who do are very vocal about it, but do not represent the majority of the market. Or I should say, "buying" market, lots say they will but it does not seem reflected in sales.

I would have to say that turbo's and automatics pair well... That is to say if the automatic is well tuned/controlled/designed. I say this cuz with a manual the boost falls off as you shift gears. Not so much an auto. Not sure I'd want a turbo 4 in as large a car as a Mustang...

I generally like manuals... but in a fairly powerful car a good automatic can be nice.

That and few people want them. The 5% who do are very vocal about it, but do not represent the majority of the market. Or I should say, "buying" market, lots say they will but it does not seem reflected in sales.
You can't buy them if you can't get them.

The local Mazda dealer wouldn't bring in manual transmission Mazda6s. So if you only look at the sales statistics you'll find they didn't sell well.

That 10 speed is the reason I sold my '18 coupe. Too much shifting, and none of it smoothly. One interesting bit about the brakes is that they felt very different than those on the convertible. If I jumped out of the coupe and drove the convertible, the first thing to happen would be me throwing myself through the windshield with the brake pedal. Way grabby, and no explanation why. As far as turbo lag, I found it had next to none. There was no waiting for the powerband to appear. It would break loose 255 series tires from a standstill....something I've never experienced in a turbo 4 / automatic combo. But they need to work on the transmission coding. I know that transmission can be smooth, but it's not being instructed to be.

I must be old fashioned and if I were to buy a Mustang it would be a V8 that was supercharged from the factory. The 2.3 sounds like a good vehicle for a daily driver. Thanks for the great review.

The transmission: The transmission seemed to have issues with keeping track of what the engine was doing, and then matching up and doing the right thing at the right time. There were times when just simply accelerating off of a stop light, the trans would get confused as to what gear it should be in. Generally, it did fine under normal driving, and did fine with hard driving... but in between, not so much. Sport mode only made the transmission behave worse.

The brakes: They seem to be mainly controlled by an on/off switch. Do they have good bite and work well? Yes... yes they do. But there are times that a bit more subtle would have been a good thing. Subtle was very difficult thing to consistently find. I suspect that a lot of this could be resolved with a different choice of pad.

I echo your sentiments on the transmission as it relates to my 2021 Bronco Sport work vehicle which tends to behave in a very similar fashion, perhaps it's just a Ford thing? I hate driving it in Sport mode, all it is good for is helping the fuel economy drop. Normal mode is fine when you need more power or when you're warming the vehicle up but I prefer to drive it in Eco mode to maximize fuel economy. That being said Eco mode causes a lot of the same drivetrain confusion that you get in Sport mode.

Similar sentiments on the brakes as well, I had a recall performed recently on the brakes and I know that they gave me new brake pads and since then the brakes have been much more livable on my Bronco Sport.

Here is a video of an EB mustang, and the very strange throttle programming. Summary, the car drives OK, but not as well refined as it could be due to weirdness like this:

Note: an aftermarket tune eliminates the weird throttle modulation and makes the car drive properly. The difference is amazing to experience.

Here is a video of an EB mustang, and the very strange throttle programming. Summary, the car drives OK, but not as well refined as it could be due to weirdness like this:

Note: an aftermarket tune eliminates the weird throttle modulation and makes the car drive properly. The difference is amazing to experience.

Why couldn't the Ford engineers do this?
Something to do with fuel economy or emissions?

I rented a 2021 Ford Mustang "Premium" Convertible over the weekend. It had the 2.3 liter Ecoboost engine, and an automatic transmission. Black exterior, black top, and black heated and cooled leather seats. Only two options that I could find on it were the AT, and a spare tire. This seems to be how Enterprise is buying them, as a local Ford dealer has the exact car on their lot, a used 2020 with 19,000 miles, which was also owned by Enterprise.

Had it for 3 days and put 965 miles on it. It had right at 5,000 miles when I picked it up. I drove it into Missouri and Indiana. Average over that time was 27.5mpg on 87 octane gas. This was 90% highway driving. Not only was it time to take it back, because the weekend was over, but also because it is raining now, and is supposed to rain for the next two days.

My impressions? I don't think I'd own one. I'd definitely not have one as a daily driver.

The engine: The engine is fun, but only once you get the turbo spooled up, and it is happily within its power band. When it is, it's a hoot.

The factory stereo was a touch on the weak side, with the top down, at interstate speed. I counted 9 speakers.

The gimmick of pumping fake intake engine noise through the speakers, when the car was in 'sport' mode is exactly that. A cheap gimmick. And to make it worse. it is a fake sound.

The lane keeping system was waaayyy too sensitive. It was vibrating the steering wheel too much, despite which settings were selected. Thankfully, it was quickly and easily turned off using a button on the end of the turn signal stalk.

The Pre-Collision system was mixed. One time (the first time it kicked in), I thought it was appropriate... some people in a minivan missed their turn, so they just decided to stop in the middle of the road, right in front of me.. The other time I thought it was being too aggressive. I was changing lanes on the interstate, and it appearently thought that I didn't see the back end of a semi truck (???). There very well might be settings to fine tune that to a driver's liking. Probably turned all the way up by default, especially since it is a rental car.

In the picture below, it is parked next to my buddy's 2017 Mustang GT (5.0/MT) Convertible, that he bought new in 2019. We had lunch together Friday in suburban St. Louis.

View attachment 57519
In comparison to other sports cars in the class its top dog. With track pack features etc. It has 320hp stock from the excellent 2.3L Gen2 TGDI motor. You just aren't a sports car guy sounds like to me!

I personally would never buy one with that engine but I'm sure it appeals to some people. I want a V8 in my sports car and I love the sound of one as well.

I personally would never buy one with that engine but I'm sure it appeals to some people. I want a V8 in my sports car and I love the sound of one as well.
Well most ppl prefer the 5.0L V8..i mean it's an iconic sports car plus the Coyote 5.0L V8 makes 460hp (easily modified for more) stock! I've driven a newer Mustang w/ Gen2 - 2.3L GTDI an it's a quick , frugal (for sports car) durable engine. Ppl are modding them to 400hp. It's a far more entertaining powertrain package for daily driving then most other sports cars in price range & higher. I'm sure they sell alot of em!

Reactions: wtd
Im in the “lives in Houston and absolutely hates it crowd”……the elevated freeways are because of serious flooding issues that we have down town. Not sure if you noticed the flood gauge markers under the overpasses, but they go up to 15’ and thats because it literally gets that deep. As for the lifted truck thing: its a southern thing. I used to be into it when i was youger, before i realized that they are pretty much an inefficient wast of money. The assumption that most are pavement princesses is correct. 99.9999% never see dirt or gravel. Hope that you tried the mexican food while you were here….. it is absolutely amazing.

Last edited:
Well most ppl prefer the 5.0L V8..i mean it's an iconic sports car plus the Coyote 5.0L V8 makes 460hp (easily modified for more) stock! I've driven a newer Mustang w/ Gen2 - 2.3L GTDI an it's a quick , frugal (for sports car) durable engine. Ppl are modding them to 400hp. It's a far more entertaining powertrain package for daily driving then most other sports cars in price range & higher. I'm sure they sell alot of em!
I love the 5.0L in my 14 GT. It has plenty of power stock for me and it sounds great. I have never driven a 2.3L one so I have no comparison to a V8 one. The V8 sound is also pretty important to me and is why I never considered the V6 version when I was shopping. I also prefer less complexity so I don't want to deal with turbo's and their related components. I keep vehicles for a long time so I also think about future reliability. I'm sure plenty of people buy the 2.3L versions because the look of the car may be more important than performance and they like the better fuel economy.

Back