2021 M2C S55 with 10k miles; BMW 0w-30 3.5k miles

Hello all,

I've been reading this site for years, and finally decided to register. Attached is the latest report on my S55. I've owned it since new, did the initial 1250 mile oil change (which regrettably I did not get an oil sample from) and then changed it again 5000 miles later and most recently, 3500 miles. BMW 0w-30 has been used until now, and as you can see by the report, it's not doing well. The high aluminum worries me about the long term longevity of this engine, so I'm hoping smarter people here who have experience with the S55 can chime in and tell me if I'm right to be worried.

Thanks again,
Danny
" Don't Mean Nuthin". Just break in wear.

IMO the fact that all the other wear metals are low tells you not to worry.
-Aluminum is from pistons and/or cylinder head likely still wearing in.
-The viscosity was still in spec so not shearing.
I’m not saying you’re wrong, because at this point we don’t know, but I have a hard time believing that a $30k engine, with the best German engineering and likely modern ceramic coatings at least on the skirts would generate this high aluminum as “normal”.

If I were OP, I would do a quick “flush” by using the cheapest oil that meets the specs and doing 1-2 500 mile OCIs to help get any leftover break in materials out, then go back to whatever the “good” choice is and do a full UOA. This will help OP to see if the aluminum was carryover or if it is fresh generation. Obviously OP is going to run his current Motul to some mileage and that UOA may show improvement.

Awesome car, hope this aluminum reading is just an anomaly!

Hello all,

I've been reading this site for years, and finally decided to register. Attached is the latest report on my S55. I've owned it since new, did the initial 1250 mile oil change (which regrettably I did not get an oil sample from) and then changed it again 5000 miles later and most recently, 3500 miles. BMW 0w-30 has been used until now, and as you can see by the report, it's not doing well. The high aluminum worries me about the long term longevity of this engine, so I'm hoping smarter people here who have experience with the S55 can chime in and tell me if I'm right to be worried.

Thanks again,
Danny
Generally speaking a UOA on a low mileage engine is going to be of little to no value.

Okay, so time for the new report. Seems things have improved. Now at 13000 miles

Attachments

• 21 M2 COMP-230205 (1)_page-0001.jpg
    21 M2 COMP-230205 (1)_page-0001.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: b_b
Generally speaking a UOA on a low mileage engine is going to be of little to no value.

🧐🤨 it’s a Used OIL Analysis. Not a used Engine analysis. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Who cares about the age of the block, we are looking at how the oil held up here. People tend to forget that and are focused on metal particles floating around in the Lube @ Parts Per MILLION.

Nothing wrong with looking at the oil that’s coming out of a new engine to see if it’s within spec and or contaminated. 😒

Okay, so time for the new report. Seems things have improved. Now at 13000 miles

Well there you go… break-in metals are SLOWLY flushing out as the engine finishes settling in (finally).

And you were at the brink of a panic attack and getting recommendations of a warranty claim 😏🤣

all is well in the land of Combustion Engines again. We can all sleep easy. ✌🏼

🧐🤨 it’s a Used OIL Analysis. Not a used Engine analysis. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Who cares about the age of the block, we are looking at how the oil held up here. People tend to forget that and are focused on metal particles floating around in the Lube @ Parts Per MILLION.

Nothing wrong with looking at the oil that’s coming out of a new engine to see if it’s within spec and or contaminated. 😒
The problem with that is some "contamination" could be a result of the engine being low mileage. Take fuel dilution and it's impact on viscosity.

Beside essentially all oils formulated for the application maintain their viscosity on short oci.

Last edited:
Well there you go… break-in metals are SLOWLY flushing out as the engine finishes settling in (finally).

And you were at the brink of a panic attack and getting recommendations of a warranty claim 😏🤣

all is well in the land of Combustion Engines again. We can all sleep easy. ✌🏼
Panic attack doesn’t begin to explain it, I was on the verge of trading it in, lol!

To my knowledge all bmw dealers in US carry currently BMW LL01FE and BMW LL17FE only
ll04 is not recommend outside of EU due to the still higher level of sulfur in gasoline comparing to EU

For that engine I would keep runing BMW 0w30 LL01FE with shorter OCI than the manufacturer recommends

Interesting. I never go past 5000 miles either way, so I guess I'll cut this one short to 3000 miles, which I just did on a NY-FL trip.

To my knowledge all bmw dealers in US carry currently BMW LL01FE and BMW LL17FE only
ll04 is not recommend outside of EU due to the still higher level of sulfur in gasoline comparing to EU

For that engine I would keep runing BMW 0w30 LL01FE with shorter OCI than the manufacturer recommends
No. US fuel is ok now. BMW, AS USUAL, is absolutely sloppy in oil recommendations.

Nice to see but also noted a new add pack with much less moly, magnesium and double the calcium??
Looks like they're trying to replicate Pennzoil Ultra Platinum?

Nice to see but also noted a new add pack with much less moly, magnesium and double the calcium??
Looks like they're trying to replicate Pennzoil Ultra Platinum?
That’s the Motul XCess Gen 2. One would have to believe there are other helpful additives that don’t show here given all the approvals it has while being Group III primarily.

Back