2021 M2C S55 with 10k miles; BMW 0w-30 3.5k miles

Hello all,

I've been reading this site for years, and finally decided to register. Attached is the latest report on my S55. I've owned it since new, did the initial 1250 mile oil change (which regrettably I did not get an oil sample from) and then changed it again 5000 miles later and most recently, 3500 miles. BMW 0w-30 has been used until now, and as you can see by the report, it's not doing well. The high aluminum worries me about the long term longevity of this engine, so I'm hoping smarter people here who have experience with the S55 can chime in and tell me if I'm right to be worried.

Thanks again,
Danny

Attachments

• BiBwUsi - Imgur.jpg
    BiBwUsi - Imgur.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 256
Last edited by a moderator:
its under warranty just keep driving and running short oci intervals. youll know at about the 20k miles mark whether this is an issue are not.

its under warranty just keep driving and running short oci intervals. youll know at about the 20k miles mark whether this is an issue are not.
Yeah, I know that while under warranty they'll replace it, and I'm certain it will last until the warranty is up, but I am concerned long term, seeing its $30k engine once you take labor and all into account. I know no one has a crystal ball, but figured I'd ask

How are you driving this car?
mostly commuting back and forth to work, nothing crazy, did one track day at Lime Rock last year but that's been it. I certainly don't beat on it, I always wait until the oil has warmed up before any spirited driving so I'm really surprised at this report

Yeah, I know that while under warranty they'll replace it, and I'm certain it will last until the warranty is up, but I am concerned long term, seeing its $30k engine once you take labor and all into account. I know no one has a crystal ball, but figured I'd ask
My point was it will still be under warranty at 20k miles. when you get the 20k report, if it still show high al, bring it in and show them the reports. I doubt it does though.

Ok I was just wondering. I picked up a couple quarts of TPT 0W-30, nobody’s done boa’s or uoa’s on it. But possibly this one. Doesn’t look spectacular; I did notice the TPT has a very “sweet” smell esp. compared to GTLs… am I smelling esters? Wondering what causes it.

Ok I was just wondering. I picked up a couple quarts of TPT 0W-30, nobody’s done boa’s or uoa’s on it. But possibly this one. Doesn’t look spectacular; I did notice the TPT has a very “sweet” smell esp. compared to GTLs… am I smelling esters? Wondering what causes it.
just looked at the receipt. Part number is 83-21-5-a2a-f99 bmw twin power turbo

Whatever they currently carry at the dealership. I can dig out the invoice and post the part number if thats helpful.
I just put in Motul Xcess gen 2 5w-40 a few weeks ago when I changed it
Check UOA with that Motul. I tell people to use LL01 or LL04 in those engines. They are using LL04 in Europe.

FWIW I have a 2019 M2C with 28k mi and have done hours of research on this subject.
I just sent in a sample to Blackstone for PPE 5w40.
I'm using OEM TPT 0w30 for winter.

IMO the fact that all the other wear metals are low tells you not to worry.
-Aluminum is from pistons and/or cylinder head likely still wearing in.
-The viscosity was still in spec so not shearing.

If you want more protection and/or plan on doing track days, consider these options in order of protection (HTHS) offered:
Redline 5w40 (max 3k mi OCI) HTHS 4.5
Motul Sport 5w40 (max 3k mi OCI) HTHS 4.0
Redline 5w30 HTHS 3.8 (3k mi OCI)
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w30/40 (LL-04 and LL-01) (5k mi OCI) HTHS 3.6/3.8
Motul Xcess 5w40 LL-01 (5k mi OCI) HTHS 3.7
Quaker State Euro 5w40 LL-01 (5k mi OCI) HTHS 3.6
OEM TPT 0w30 LL-01FE (5k mi OCI) HTHS 3.0

IMO PPE is good for your existing application of daily and the odd track day with 5k mi OCI.
If racing more, Redline and Motul has more ZDDP for reducing wear at high RPM.

This thread completely refutes my recommendation above of Redline 5w40 not lasting more than 3k mi.
Looks like it could do 5-7k mi.!

FWIW I have a 2019 M2C with 28k mi and have done hours of research on this subject.
I just sent in a sample to Blackstone for PPE 5w40.
I'm using OEM TPT 0w30 for winter.

IMO the fact that all the other wear metals are low tells you not to worry.
-Aluminum is from pistons and/or cylinder head likely still wearing in.
-The viscosity was still in spec so not shearing.

If you want more protection and/or plan on doing track days, consider these options in order of protection (HTHS) offered:
Redline 5w40 (max 3k mi OCI) HTHS 4.5
Motul Sport 5w40 (max 3k mi OCI) HTHS 4.0
Redline 5w30 HTHS 3.8 (3k mi OCI)
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w30/40 (LL-04 and LL-01) (5k mi OCI) HTHS 3.6/3.8
Motul Xcess 5w40 LL-01 (5k mi OCI) HTHS 3.7
Quaker State Euro 5w40 LL-01 (5k mi OCI) HTHS 3.6
OEM TPT 0w30 LL-01FE (5k mi OCI) HTHS 3.0

IMO PPE is good for your existing application of daily and the odd track day with 5k mi OCI.
If racing more, Redline and Motul has more ZDDP for reducing wear at high RPM.
Thanks Nathan, the car is in the garage for the winter, so come spring I'll send out another sample and we'll see if things are clearing up.

Thanks Nathan, the car is in the garage for the winter, so come spring I'll send out another sample and we'll see if things are clearing up.
Don’t go Redline or Motul sport if you are not using that car as track animal.
PPE 5W40, Motul X-Cess 5W40 GEN2 are currently best bet of LL01 oils.

The adpack of the VOA looks amazingly similar to the one used by Castrol Edge, while this one does not. I wonder if the bulk oil analyzed in this UOA was made by SOPUS, while the bottle shown with the VOA featuring an SP claim was made by Castrol.

Back