2021 Kia Forte GT 1.6T- Valvoline Advanced 5W-30 SP- 6200mi

2021 Kia Forte GT, 1.6T Gamma, 6200 miles on the oil, just under 12k on the unit. Hyundai/Kia OE Filter
First change was at 800 miles with Castrol GTX Magnatec, second at 6000 miles with this fill of Valvoline Advanced (SP) 5W-30 in around April/May of this year. 60% Highway, 40% City. Kia recommended service interval is 6,000 miles. I was somewhat disappointed to see that this lab doesn't show fuel percentage, I thought they did. Oh well. Also not sure where the extra moly came from, maybe residual left over from the factory fill, I'm pretty sure the oil kia/hyundai uses is very high moly.

W7X5t40.png

Last edited:
Surprised to see viscosity that low. Must be a lot of fuel in it.

Id try a thicker Euro 5W-30 or 0W-30 with HTHS of at least 3.5 to try to maintain viscosity through your OCI.

Id try a thicker Euro 5W-30 or 0W-30 with HTHS of at least 3.5 to try to maintain viscosity through your OCI.
It's only 10cst to start. Not a thick 30. Does the manual allow for a 5w-40? The 1.6l Gamma engine will run fine on anything so long as it's oil.

The manual recommends A5/B5 rated oil, none of the Euro oils are SN+/SP/D1G2 rated which is preferred for anti-LSPI formulation and meets A5/B5. For a 6k OCI I'm not that concerned, and if I have the vehicle that long it has a 10y/100k warranty so I'll be sticking with the manual recommended interval

Personally, I would have waited until at least 15k before sending a sample to the lab. I imagine that those engines are not too hard on the oil. It sees like it's pretty conservatively rated to balance longevity and performance.

Personally, I would have waited until at least 15k before sending a sample to the lab. I imagine that those engines are not too hard on the oil. It sees like it's pretty conservatively rated to balance longevity and performance.
Just the opposite, all Hyundai engines are hard on oil, especially turbo motors. Hyundai doesn't know their head from their ars on oil recommendations. How can you trust a company that has by their own public disclosure,5 billion in engine rebuilding costs for the last 11 years. IF they are still saying (???) A5/B5 for a turbo motor? I personally won't run it. I don't care what Hyundai says to use, their recommendation is so low it would not be an issue in a warranty claim since I would be running far far better oil. Easy court win. As long as you are in the USA. They know it and it never would see a court date. A5/B5 is not a high use turbo oil, it is only a CAFE mileage oil in my opinion. Bare minimum I would put in my car would be SN+ /SP Dexos 1 Gen 2/2+. I am on boost more then most. I myself will only use a Mid SAPS C3 oil for the HTHS at 3.5 rating. I was using Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 and now am using Redline Performance (ester) 5w-30 Euro. But that's just me. Someone who isn't thrashing the crap out of their turbo, SN+/SP Dexos 1 Gen 2/2+ is a great oil.

Last edited:
2021 Kia Forte GT, 1.6T Gamma, 6200 miles on the oil, just under 12k on the unit. Hyundai/Kia OE Filter
First change was at 800 miles with Castrol GTX Magnatec, second at 6000 miles with this fill of Valvoline Advanced (SP) 5W-30 in around April/May of this year. 60% Highway, 40% City. Kia recommended service interval is 6,000 miles. I was somewhat disappointed to see that this lab doesn't show fuel percentage, I thought they did. Oh well. Also not sure where the extra moly came from, maybe residual left over from the factory fill, I'm pretty sure the oil kia/hyundai uses is very high moly.

View attachment 71940
Don't get all worried about fuel dilution, it is REALLY a non factor. When I bought my 2018 Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6T car I knew I would have fuel dilution problem. I had a 10 pack of pre paid oil sample kit from Polaris Labs before I even had the car in the driveway. Polaris Labs will ONLY do the advanced/accurate fuel dilution tests after they give you the inaccurate crappy one. You have to call for an "interpretation" and demand the advanced test. I was always over 5% as that is their max accurate reading. I bet I could have been in the 6% to 7% area in Minnesota winters. I would gain 3/4 of qt. I never had any high wear #s. But I always dump at 3,000 to 3,500 miles as I an a short tripper 9-10 miles to work. So many people get all worried and upset with oil dilution and most let it drive them nuts, BUT after doing testing on their own find almost never to have any form of bad wear #'s. I have 28,000 of HARD HARD miles on my car and I have yet to have bad wear #s in short tripping Minnesota winters with high fuel dilution %. I did have a time that I had zero fuel dilution, but you can PM me on that one.

Last edited:
Don't get all worried about fuel dilution, it is REALLY a non factor. When I bought my 2018 Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6T car I knew I would have fuel dilution problem. I had a 10 pack of pre paid oil sample kit from Polaris Labs before I even had the car in the driveway. Polaris Labs will ONLY do the advanced/accurate fuel dilution tests after they give you the inaccurate crappy one. You have to call for an "interpretation" and demand the advanced test. I was always over 5% as that is their max accurate reading. I bet I could have been in the 6% to 7% area in Minnesota winters. I would gain 3/4 of qt. I never had any high wear #s. But I always dump at 3,000 to 3,500 miles as I an a short tripper 9-10 miles to work. So many people get all worried and upset with oil dilution and most let it drive them nuts, BUT after doing testing on their own find almost never to have any form of bad wear #'s. I have 28,000 of HARD HARD miles on my car and I have yet to have bad wear #s in short tripping Minnesota winters with high fuel dilution %. I did have a time that I had zero fuel dilution, but you can PM me on that one.
What oil did you use in that 1.6?

It's weird how Valvoline synth oils show so much moly in analyses, but Valvoline told me over the phone that they do not use any moly in their formulations.

It's weird how Valvoline synth oils show so much moly in analyses, but Valvoline told me over the phone that they do not use any moly in their formulations.
I think another phone call is in order. Act like it’s Your UOA that you sent in with the moly showing up and ask for an explanation. 😈😤

Would be interesting.

When did you ask? It’s been 250+ ppm since at least dec 2020, maybe even longer ago.

I have been using Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5-30 in my 1.6T Hyundai for five years straight. It is a higher viscosity oil than Valvoline. The engine loves it at 70K it sounds and runs great. This summer I used the 5-40 QSUD for a trip through mountains and I was very happy with it. And yes, these engines are rough on oil.

Back