2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM

I got this a few weeks ago, can't stop riding it. Did the first oil change with the OEM filter and some Valvoline 10w40 at 120 miles. Will do another one at 600 with some synthetic. It is hard to not have fun on one of these.
klx300sm_03.jpg

Most of my bikes have been Suzuki. Never had a Kawasaki. I'm thinking about a Kawasaki X300, Are Kawasaki machines as reliable? Their products seem better priced than Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki. 🏍️

Most of my bikes have been Suzuki. Never had a Kawasaki. I'm thinking about a Kawasaki X300, Are Kawasaki machines as reliable? Their products seem better priced than Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki. 🏍️
My understanding of motorcycle reliability stats go like this:
1-Yamaha
2-Kawa, Honda
3- Suzuki

Just pick your favourite brand of color! They are all great. Some brands/model are cheaper than other depending where you are in the world.

Cool bike!

They are all Japanese and all great brands. Many think Honda is the best but that's not the case. Yamaha tends to be a smudge more premium and better with many, but not all of their bikes. Like the now dated but still better Yamaha WR250R vs everyone else's 250CC dual sport.
Some of the inexpensive Japanese brand motorcycles are made in Thailand like the Honda CRF250L or CRF300L. I think the entry Kawasakis are, too. It doesn't matter.

Great bike ! I have owned (7) Kawasaki's and none of them needed anything other than normal maintenance. Zero warranty issues. Well .. My 2004 ZRX1200 did have a fairing bracket (new screws) recall :)

At first I thought you'd bought a dual sport and put street tires on it. I didn't know they made those as a supermotor too.

My brother in law has a KLX250 dual sport he pulls on a rack behind his camper-converted dually Transit. I've ridden it a few times and it's honestly the perfect little desert runabout.

Am I seeing it right, this bike has a small diameter rim/tire in front vs a true dirt bike that has a larger diameter rim/tire?

That's a very cool bike with an epic engine. I'm sure you probably know this, but that engine has been around a very long time. It's stone reliable, handles abuse very well and will last exceptionally well with good maintenance. The 300 version has sufficient power for highway rides. Yes, it's up in the revs at speed, but that does not seem to matter, the engine is known for very long life.

To me Suzuki has always been a lil bit off or maybe they are just different but their quality is top notch. My dad has a Burgman 650 which is basically the Cadillac out of all the maxi scooter's that noone else can compete in that segment so the rest stopped trying. That Kawasaki looks similar to what they call Super Moto's which is comparable to the Suzuki DR-Z400SM because it basically has on-road tires on an off-road bike which will be virtually useless for anything other than the pavement. I ride a 2013 Ninja 650 and the quality is ok but you can tell it's not a Honda but didn't pay the price for one either.

The only issues I've had with mine was water in the fuel twice but since I started using treatments it's been a non issue and just now replaced the battery for the second time so I'll have to see if this one lasts but may end up going with a Yuasa or something else, the last two are Motocross which is made by Yuasa which should be fine but I think it's more that I need to maintain it better over the winter months or when sitting for long periods of time.

That looks like a nice bike and luckily you were able to find something because all the dealers in my area their inventory is practically non-existent even for used ones, no inventory for the off-road stuff either. I was surprised that one dealer still had two new Ninja 400's and two Vulcan S models, they just started selling Husqvarna not long ago which didn't seem to sell very well and they are more expensive but even those were all sold out.

Back