2021 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 / Factory fill / 1300 miles (not 3100). 700ppm Moly?

wemay

Site Donor 2023
A few observations...
This definitely isn't any Quaker State/Shell I know of with over 700ppm Moly. I'm not interested in wear, just what viscosity this engine comes from the factory with. On many forums, 5w30 is posited. I guess not since this shows 5w20.

Screenshot_20210415-201135_OneDrive.jpg

Last edited:
The Tucson is made in S. Korea so, it stands to reason that Hyundai is using it’s own Hyundai XTeer oil for factory fill.

My 2021 Soul LX was made in S Korea too so I suspect the oil brand / type is probably the same. It’s just crossing 3200 miles so an oil change is coming soon. Going to start with Hyundai OEM filter and Magnetec 5w/20. Just to overthink this though (which goes on a lot here on bitog ) I‘ve been considering M/C semisyn because of all the moly it has. Or maybe ST syn, PP might work too, but then QSUD is priced right for a full syn....

My 2021 Soul LX was made in S Korea too so I suspect the oil brand / type is probably the same. It’s just crossing 3200 miles so an oil change is coming soon. Going to start with Hyundai OEM filter and Magnetec 5w/20. Just to overthink this though (which goes on a lot here on bitog ) I‘ve been considering M/C semisyn because of all the moly it has. Or maybe ST syn, PP might work too, but then QSUD is priced right for a full syn....
I usually ran Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W30 in our former 2013 KIA Optima.

Another consideration is Valvoline Extended Protection. It carries roughly 300ppm Moly. A recent VOA of the 0w20 shows this.

Back