2021 Hyundai Santa Cruz

Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by gfh77665
Originally Posted by IveBeenRued
Very interesting especially because Honda has been slacking with their current Ridgeline. The Ridgeline still doesn't have full range adaptive cruise to my knowledge and the stock halogen headlamps are quite poor.

Actually, Honda has been slacking since about 8-10 years ago. In the 2000's, they built an awesome reputation for quality and cutting edge precision and tech. They then decided to rest on their reputation, and put lesser effort into their line. It has showed up with a slow but steady erosion of their quality ratings. They still have good solid vehicles (but at an elevated price). This comes from a former Honda owner and fan.

Japanese cars need to be made in Japan out of 100% Japanese parts again.

And stay in Japan.

Yeah, keep quality and good paying jobs out of the U.S.

Originally Posted by opus1
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
So America refuses to buy a station wagon, but will have no problem buying this atrocity.

Oh, they're still buying them, only they're called CUV's now...
crackmeup2.gif

Good point. Calling something a "station wagon" is an automatic death sentence. But call it something else and jack it up a few inches so it handles like a boat, and you're good to go.
smile.gif

So a Hyundai Santa Fe with the rear hatch chopped off and an exposed cargo area. Young drivers and retirees will be the major buyers of this. Not enough utility for people truly needing a truck. Not rugged enough for anything other than hauling bikes, mulch, and light duty Home Depot/Lowe's trips. It is definitely quirky.

That thing is beyond ugly and probably expensive to boot. Yuck.

Mitsubishi for one is actually built in Japan and hardly anybody buys them, in fact they are high on the list of suspects to leave the US.

Wagons are really cool but Americans just won't buy them, other than Subaru's whose marketing has mostly convinced people they are SUVs, and Kia Souls which sell like hot cakes but nobody knows they are actually a wagon.

It's on my radar. It'll be $10k less than a new Ridgeline and get better MPG's. My 11 year old Ridgeline is a very quiet ride due to no hatch/cargo area. Hopefully that will be the case with the Santa Cruz.
That 1 or 2 times a year I need a "real" truck I'll borrow one from my son or rent one from Home Depot. The only thing I don't like about the Ridgeline is the 18 MPG's. I reserve final judgement until there is a production version.

Funny how things end up coming back around. El Camino/Subaru Baja 'ish type vehicles.

I really like the Ridgeline as a daily driver truck. Not liking the looks of this Santa Cruz though.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
........ "the Ridgeline is 95% of the truck that 95% of buyers(not want) but, need & use 95% of the time".

As near retirees, this statement fits us to a tee. Depending on the looks, my wife might trade her Colorado for this in a heartbeat.

Back