2021 Hyundai Santa Cruz

I could see this being a big seller for Hyundai. Much like the Ridgeline, it's sort of an in-between "truck".

Link

[Linked Image]

Very interesting especially because Honda has been slacking with their current Ridgeline. The Ridgeline still doesn't have full range adaptive cruise to my knowledge and the stock halogen headlamps are quite poor. Hyundai has been doing well in the IIHS testing lately so this should hopefully apply some pressure to Honda to step up their game.

I first heard about this in like 2015 and have waited for it, and now that I am not in the market it may actually be coming out.
Be interesting to see what it actually turns out looking like.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
So America refuses to buy a station wagon, but will have no problem buying this atrocity.

lol.gif

So America refuses to buy a station wagon, but will have no problem buying this atrocity.

LOL, right? That is still a car or a minivan underneath, not a truck.

Not sure if I like this or dislike it. I sort of get the point of the car pickup trucks, and this one veers more towards looking like an oversized car.

Originally Posted by IveBeenRued
Very interesting especially because Honda has been slacking with their current Ridgeline. The Ridgeline still doesn't have full range adaptive cruise to my knowledge and the stock halogen headlamps are quite poor.

Actually, Honda has been slacking since about 8-10 years ago. In the 2000's, they built an awesome reputation for quality and cutting edge precision and tech. They then decided to rest on their reputation, and put lesser effort into their line. It has showed up with a slow but steady erosion of their quality ratings. They still have good solid vehicles (but at an elevated price). This comes from a former Honda owner and fan.

Kia / Hyundai used to be the laughing stock of the automotive world 20 years ago. Now, they are at the very top of the quality ratings.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Very interesting especially because Honda has been slacking with their current Ridgeline. The Ridgeline still doesn't have full range adaptive cruise to my knowledge and the stock halogen headlamps are quite poor.

Actually, Honda has been slacking since about 8-10 years ago. In the 2000's, they built an awesome reputation for quality and cutting edge precision and tech. They then decided to rest on their reputation, and put lesser effort into their line. It has showed up with a slow but steady erosion of their quality ratings. They still have good solid vehicles (but at an elevated price). This comes from a former Honda owner and fan.

Japanese cars need to be made in Japan out of 100% Japanese parts again.

Agreed, except replace 2000s with 1980s and 1990s.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

Japanese cars need to be made in Japan out of 100% Japanese parts again.

And stay in Japan.

I realize that Honda's Ridgeline is lacking in sale numbers in which Honda didn't expect but, it at least looks like a truck. Maybe not a domestic looking truck in which the typical U.S. buyer desires but. a truck just the same.

As at least one journalist has said,(not quoting exactly), "the Ridgeline is 95% of the truck that 95% of buyers(not want) but, need & use 95% of the time".

Most of my friends/buddies that own trucks, want them as their transportation devise with maybe a once-a-year HomeDepot trip.

The Santa Cruz. although looks quirky to me, may in fact be what many Hyundai/KIA shoppers/buyers want but what about the remainder of the domestic market? Will it sell enough for Hyundai to make a profit?

Sometimes, vehicles like these sell well(or just OK) their first year then nosedive afterward.

Kia / Hyundai used to be the laughing stock of the automotive world 20 years ago. Now, they are at the very top of the quality ratings.

yep....and in 20 years the Chinese will be in the same place....(I know, blasphemy...lol)

think El Camino/Caballero/Sprint/Ute...I think it could sell well if it is somewhat fun to drive and could at least carry as much as a station wagon/crossover/Ridgeline...needs to be priced right too...

Bill

This thing can't do what an LT does as far as lumber, plywood, landscaping stuff, all that … and can't tow much.
On that footprint and driveline … an SUV at least keeps the groceries clean and cool in the summer … and folks really like loading and unloading them from a hatchback. And if all you buy is 3 bags of mulch for a condo … Weathertech can fix you up for that SUV.
Shark tank down vote here.

Oh, they're still buying them, only they're called CUV's now...
crackmeup2.gif

Back