2021 Honda CR-V Hybrid AWD Touring: Thoughts?

Any thoughts on the CRV Hybrid? I am happy to see it comes with a NA 2.0 instead of the dreaded 1.5 turbo. Also, apparently this comes with an interesting direct drive transmission instead of CVT? Information seems sparse on the details when attempting so search.

Thank you

Battery aside, the hybrid drivetrain should be MORE reliable than the 1.5T / CVT combo. Those direct drive CVT's seem to last forever, and Honda makes some of the most reliable N/A engines ever produced.

Sounds like my accord hybrid from the description you give, OP. No complaints with mine, though a crv would be heavier and more sluggish than my accord...

Here's a good video on how the Honda Hybrid system works (and his Toyota hybrid explanation video is great too). I like the e-AWD on the RAV4 better than Honda's clutch set up. I've test driven the Accord Hybrid and a Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, and both were seamless but the Toyota seemed to get relative better gas mileage and had a more pleasing operation at Highway speed.

Last edited:
I had a coworker with an early hybrid civic, and this was 15 years ago when Honda was just dabbling with hybrid tech. While my gear head finds the Toyota system elegant, Honda’s system was well-executed and did exactly what it was supposed to do, and while I knew him there weren’t any problems at all.

if I were to compare the vehicle around the drivetrain, I prefer the late model crvs, for they seem to have a more solid, rigid, stiff feel to the chasis. my wife has a ‘15 and its been a very solid vehicle, with a slight frown towards hard plastics in the interior.

Here's a good video on how the Honda Hybrid system works (and his Toyota hybrid explanation video is great too). I like the e-AWD on the RAV4 better than Honda's clutch set up. I've test driven the Accord Hybrid and a Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, and both were seamless but the Toyota seemed to get relative better gas mileage and had a more pleasing operation at Highway speed.

I just skimmed both of those excellent videos, and am SO glad to see manufacturers moving on to these new "beltless" direct drive and e-cvt transmissions. The future is bright!

I like both, but agree the toyota e-cvt is a breathtakingly simple and elegant idea to just differentiate the speeds of the two motors.

I had a coworker with an early hybrid civic, and this was 15 years ago when Honda was just dabbling with hybrid tech. While my gear head finds the Toyota system elegant, Honda’s system was well-executed and did exactly what it was supposed to do, and while I knew him there weren’t any problems at all.

if I were to compare the vehicle around the drivetrain, I prefer the late model crvs, for they seem to have a more solid, rigid, stiff feel to the chasis. my wife has a ‘15 and its been a very solid vehicle, with a slight frown towards hard plastics in the interior.
good perspective, I have also heard an owner praising the direct drive in the snow.

Should be legit. Glad Honda was able to fix the 1.5l problems in 2019/2020 but the hybrid would be even better.

Any thoughts on the CRV Hybrid? I am happy to see it comes with a NA 2.0 instead of the dreaded 1.5 turbo. Also, apparently this comes with an interesting direct drive transmission instead of CVT? Information seems sparse on the details when attempting so search.

Thank you
Not sure if there’s anything wrong with the 1.5T’s. Have two customers with them, one is already at 70K. Neither have had the oil level rise and while the UOA’s have confirmed fuel dilution, the durability does not seem to be adversely impacted.

Probably a great SUV. I am not sure I would spring for the Touring level, unless I negotiated a screaming deal.
EX-L is a fantastic package. I would buy one.

This was a vehicle I strongly considered, with the Honda Passport as well, before buying a 2021 Subaru Outback. The EXL is a tremendous value but in my region it was the most sought after trim line with an already low supply. It was much easier finding a Hybrid Touring trim and a little more play with pricing.

we like our '16 CRV; its not a perfect vehicle but great nonetheless

I even prefer its ride to my Accord, comparing apples to apples, with the same powertrain

Not sure if there’s anything wrong with the 1.5T’s. Have two customers with them, one is already at 70K. Neither have had the oil level rise and while the UOA’s have confirmed fuel dilution, the durability does not seem to be adversely impacted.
It was all but fixed with the ECU TSB and the 2019+ years.

I believe Alex on Auto's (on youtube) preferred the RAV4 over the CRV. Not that his opinion matters greatly, as much as to point out that his (and many others) have many reviews posted on there, which go over the many points of each vehicle. Might be worth spending some time there.

My takeaway was that the CRV had a better AWD system, but less power: the CRV has a conventional driveshaft between the axles and thus does better in slippery stuff, but the series hybrid setup ultimately limits power to something like 180hp until high vehicle speeds where the engine is engaged mechanically, which thus leads to why the CRV is a bit slower on 0-60 (and other acceleration pursuits).

I believe Alex on Auto's (on youtube) preferred the RAV4 over the CRV. Not that his opinion matters greatly, as much as to point out that his (and many others) have many reviews posted on there, which go over the many points of each vehicle. Might be worth spending some time there.

My takeaway was that the CRV had a better AWD system, but less power: the CRV has a conventional driveshaft between the axles and thus does better in slippery stuff, but the series hybrid setup ultimately limits power to something like 180hp until high vehicle speeds where the engine is engaged mechanically, which thus leads to why the CRV is a bit slower on 0-60 (and other acceleration pursuits).
A year and a half ago I was looking for a RAV4 for a friend. Was set on the RAV4, but my friend wanted a CR-V because she believed in Honda long term relibility. So we drove a 2019 EX-L, FWD. IMO, the CR-V drove much better and had much better ergonomics. I was surprised. We bought the CR-V. Mani loves it. I service it. All good.
1614086614804.jpg

Negatives are: price premium and lower discounts, no space for spare tire and no provision for towing or even mounting a receiver for a bike rack without jeopardizing warranty. WSJ review also thought it unreasonably slow and noisy under acceleration.

So not all roses.

The hands free tailgate and the front and rear parking sensors make it worth it.
Maybe not everyone has the same disposable income. Some would not mind operating manually the tailgate. And use the rear camera video.

A year and a half ago I was looking for a RAV4 for a friend. Was set on the RAV4, but my friend wanted a CR-V because she believed in Honda long term relibility. So we drove a 2019 EX-L, FWD. IMO, the CR-V drove much better and had much better ergonomics. I was surprised. We bought the CR-V. Mani loves it. I service it. All good.
View attachment 46583
Same. The seats/comfortability/room was also better in the CR-V.

Fair points, and the video you suggested was very informative.

I suppose it begs the question, do you buy a hybrid to tow and for speed? I submit probably not, but when given the choice as a consumer, it's easy to understand why people would want those in addition to the mileage advantage if available. :)

Back