2021 GMC Canyon

I just bought a 2021 Canyon Elevation 4 door with the 3.7 V6. I'm wondering if the motor oil, trans fluid and differental fluid are synthetic from the factory. If not I want to use syn fluids. But I have a few free oil changes coming and wondering what the dealer will use. Thoughts anyone?

Nice truck. Yes, all the fluids are synthetic. 21's should all have Mobil 1 HP ATF, and AC Delco in the rest of the truck (diffs/transfer case etc.).

GM dealers use AC Delco or whatever other dexos brand they have, but you can request Mobil 1.

I just bought a 2021 Canyon Elevation 4 door with the 3.7 V6. I'm wondering if the motor oil, trans fluid and differental fluid are synthetic from the factory. If not I want to use syn fluids. But I have a few free oil changes coming and wondering what the dealer will use. Thoughts anyone?
GM dealers usually use bulk Valvoline or, depending on where you are, some cheap SOPUS product. The main requirement for any oil they use is for it to be Dexos 1G2 licensed. On free oil changes, they might not replace the oil filter. Do you like to do your own oil changes? Then keep doing them because it's the safest bet.

Yes, the fluids are synthetic. The transmission fluid is low viscosity or ultra-low viscosity, so that has to be a synthetic fluid.

If your transmission specifies Dexron HP, then Mobil 1 is the OEM for that fluid. They also sell that fluid at retail: https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...roducts/products/mobil-1-synthetic-lv-atf-hp/

All of the fluids except the differential gear oil are synthetic is my understanding. And by the way, the V6 is 3.6 liters not 3.7. I have a 2017 Canyon 3.6 and it is a great engine in this truck. It will really move out when you floor it but will get good gas mileage if you don't.

And before anyone brings up the canard that these engines all have timing chain problems, remember that the 3.6 was redesigned for the 2017 model year and uses a simpler timing chain and tensioner design. It also has what is essentially an internal catch can to reduce oil blow-by being sucked into the intake causing carbon build up on the intake valves.

the GM dealerships around ChicagoLand have been Mobil lubricants since GM re-signed their marketing agreement with Mobil several years back now...the GM branded motor oil at dealerships is said to be Mobil made as well...

Bill

Thanks for the info. Once I start to do my own oil changes I will use Mobil1 5-30. The few dealer oil changes that are free I suppose the GM oil will be fine.

But I have a few free oil changes coming and wondering what the dealer will use. Thoughts anyone?
Thanks for the info. Once I start to do my own oil changes I will use Mobil1 5-30. The few dealer oil changes that are free I suppose the GM oil will be fine.
Then why even ask here? Isn't it easier to just ask the dealership? There is no way any of us can know what the dealership will use.

I recently switched from Mobil 1 5W-30 to Castrol Magnatec and find that with Magnatec the cam phaser rattle on startup is no longer there. Edge would probably prevent this as well.

I recently switched from Mobil 1 5W-30 to Castrol Magnatec and find that with Magnatec the cam phaser rattle on startup is no longer there. Edge would probably prevent this as well.
Since I have a HEMI with a weird cam phaser, I'd like to know why that works. Thank you.

Since I have a HEMI with a weird cam phaser, I'd like to know why that works. Thank you.
I have no idea and I have always been a skeptic regarding the "my engine runs quieter/smoother on Oil brand X" statements. Castrol markets Magnatec as having "clinging molecules" or some such so there must be something to it. They do use a Titanium additive so maybe that is it. Give it a try, it may work for you.

I have no idea and I have always been a skeptic regarding the "my engine runs quieter/smoother on Oil brand X" statements. Castrol markets Magnatec as having "clinging molecules" or some such so there must be something to it. They do use a Titanium additive so maybe that is it. Give it a try, it may work for you.
I had the same attitude about brand X, Y, or Z quieting down an engine. Castrol uses a Titanium-based friction modifier that's proprietary to them (they have a patent on it). Castrol EDGE EP 5W-20 also has it. However, it never quieted down my HEMI. Neither did M1 FS 0W-40, though the valvetrain was quieter until the oil thinned out. The only way I know of (from reading) to make motor oil cling to metal is by using an ester-based additive system. Red Line claims that they add an extra oxygen molecule to their esters to clings to metal surfaces. Maybe Castrol is doing the same with Magnatec. It was their premium motor oil in the late 90s - early 2000s or until EDGE came along. Castrol has very advanced research and formulations, the only thing about Castrol is that they love to use group III base oils as much as possible, I guess for economic reasons, and probably that's what BP is good at manufacturing.

Then why even ask here? Isn't it easier to just ask the dealership? There is no way any of us can know what the dealership will use.
I asked because maybe someone that owned a Canyon maybe already asked the dealer they use. I would think they all use the same oil specified by the manufacturer.

I asked because maybe someone that owned a Canyon maybe already asked the dealer they use. I would think they all use the same oil specified by the manufacturer.
That would Dexos 1 Gen. 2 motor oil. Do a Google search and see how many of those are. Each dealer buys motor oil in bulk from the vendor that gives them the best deal. Dealers also have some latitude with viscosities, so you're not guaranteed that either. That's why we have no way of knowing what oil or viscosity your dealer is using. Most dealers are not open to talking about what they put in your engine, and some of the really bad ones don't even bother to change your filter when they give you free oil changes.

GM dealers all privately owned independent businesses. They only have to use a dexos spec'd oil so they are free to use any brand they want. For this very reason, you should ask your dealer what the use because it is not the same at every dealer. Some may use Mobil , some may use Sopus and another may even be using Supertech lol

GM dealers all privately owned independent businesses. They only have to use a dexos spec'd oil so they are free to use any brand they want. For this very reason, you should ask your dealer what the use because it is not the same at every dealer. Some may use Mobil , some may use Sopus and another may even be using Supertech lol
Some use Valvoline and some may use Lard because as long as Lard has a D1G2 approval, it's a perfectly acceptable motor oil for GM. One thing to keep in mind is that Dexos is not an approval, it's a license, so GM profits from it, and as a consequence, they have a vested interest in selling licenses to as many oil producers as possible.

Some use Valvoline and some may use Lard because as long as Lard has a D1G2 approval, it's a perfectly acceptable motor oil for GM. One thing to keep in mind is that Dexos is not an approval, it's a license, so GM profits from it, and as a consequence, they have a vested interest in selling licenses to as many oil producers as possible.
That was sort of what I was saying. Dexos, while being a license, it still is a SPEC to be met...and with that being said there are oils that meet the SPEC but don't want to pay the license fee.

I checked online and they use AC Delco DEXOS 1 Gen2 for the freebies and an there's an upcharge for Mobil 1. I don't think they would advertise it and not use it, but you never know. BTW this is Ritchie Cadilac GMC in Daytona.

...sounds like the dealerships in ChicagoLand...the AC Delco Dexos 1 Gen2 synthetic oil they use is probably made by Mobil and similar to Mobil Super Synthetic Oil...still great stuff

Bill

Back