2021 Ford Explorer XLT 2.3L Ecoboost

Just purchased new. Manual states 1k mile break in period, but nothing about first recommended oil change. It has right over 1k miles now, and I do about 400 miles a week.

Being a GDI turbo engine, what is the best practice for when to perform first oil change on this engine?

And I plan on an extended life oil filter ie. Fram Ultra or M1 with full synthetic oil. Is 10k miles safe with this engine?

I'd do it at 1K but that's just me. As the sliding metal parts are shedding micro particles the most at this time as they wear in. That used to be the standard for most European cars up to 30 years ago, but engines are still made of the same materials today.

Reactions: JC1
Just purchased new. Manual states 1k mile break in period, but nothing about first recommended oil change. It has right over 1k miles now, and I do about 400 miles a week.

Being a GDI turbo engine, what is the best practice for when to perform first oil change on this engine?

And I plan on an extended life oil filter ie. Fram Ultra or M1 with full synthetic oil. Is 10k miles safe with this engine?
Stay away from extended oil changes, 5K for Turbo. ;)

Sure they do, but they also call for a 10k oil change on this motor in the manual, and most of us with this motor want the timing chain to live longer than 'out of warranty', so shorter OCI's are what most of us pick in order to (hopefully) avoid that.
Isn't 10k oil changes under "ideal" conditions? Don't they have a "severe service" condition which is what most of us drive under?

Isn't 10k oil changes under "ideal" conditions? Don't they have a "severe service" condition which is what most of us drive under?
This is out of the manual. I think following the severe schedule is probably a good middle ground, and if you're using full synthetic and a good oil filter, probably go for the higher end of that 5k-7.5k interval.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210905-230512_FordPass.jpg
    Screenshot_20210905-230512_FordPass.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 179

Took me a second to find it in mine.

I swear, I need a vacation, they split it on two pages.

maint2.jpg

maint.jpg

Last edited:
Took me a second to find it in mine. Little bit different than his.

View attachment 69928
So this maintenance schedule is an estimate for when you can expect the OLM to indicate an oil change is necessary...and since it's at least factoring in load and idle time according to the notes, it should be fairly accurate.

I am currently at 92% with 1059 miles, and I wouldn't say my driving has been quite severe, but it definitely hasn't been "normal" per Fords definition.

At this rate, and assuming nothing changes, it would bring me to nearly 13k miles, which is insane! There is NO way I would go that long, on conventional oil, or even synthetic. I'm assuming though the OLM will probably settle into something lower as it learns my driving habits, probably something in the 75-100 mile per OLM% range.

Did my 2.0L GDI Polo GTI at 1440miles and going to do 4660K OCI even though the manual asks for 9320miles. Coming from Hyundai, GDI's are brutal on oil so I want to look after this car. I really don't think some of these manufacturers care about longevity, only economy ratings and certifications.

I wish I'd written down what % I was at when I changed mine. I want to say both times it was near 50% or maybe a little more. I know on my Acura I have enough changes to say that it is perfectly linear. At 5000 miles on it, it is always at 40%, the Ford, I'm not sure. I'll make a mental note to pay attention to that. I know I'm at 12956 miles and 69% at the moment.

Did my 2.0L GDI Polo GTI at 1440miles and going to do 4660K OCI even though the manual asks for 9320miles. Coming from Hyundai, GDI's are brutal on oil so I want to look after this car. I really don't think some of these manufacturers care about longevity, only economy ratings and certifications.
That and making it through the warranty period. Which is why I've already started transmission D&F's as well.

I follow the olm on my wife’s 19 Honda Pilot which is GDI about 6000-7000 miles. Just did it’s 30K service and decided to wipe down the throttle body. For being 30K is was pretty dirty. I’ve cleaned other throttle bodies before and wasn’t that bad. 8BF1B57B-FA28-446A-8C2A-512321D88473.jpeg

We go 5k at work with synblend 5w30. No issues

Back