2021 F150 Coyote Changes

If you're running down the interstate and that belt was to snap off it would destroy that engine before you had time to react.
Belt driven oil pump ... hummm, snapped belt, bye-bye motor. If it's out in the open like the service manual shows, then easy inspection and changing would be a plus.
Engines don't grind to a halt the instant they lose oil pressure -- plenty of torture videos on YouTube to prove that. Besides, don't most engines run without oil pressure after an empty oil filter is installed? A thin film of oil on engine parts keeps things moving until oil pressure returns.
When oil pressure is lost, a warning light appears on the dash. If there's an oil pressure gauge, it shows a problem. I'd imagine some models even have a warning chime / sound but not 100% sure. Point being, low or no oil pressure does not equal instant destruction unless you are pushing the engine super hard at the moment. Even then, I would bet that the engine keeps running for a little while before it grenades. So a driver would have to be completely oblivious (or distracted Haha) if they lost oil pressure and kept driving long enough to blow the engine.

display is gonna have 400 warnings blaring, that’s for sure.

we had big trucks with dd60s driven dozens of miles to the shop with no oil pressure at all without catastrophic damage

I'm not a fan of cylinder deactivation either and is one of the reasons I went with the Mustang back in 2013 when I was looking to buy a performance car. The Camaro and Challenger had it and the Challenger's system was very noticeable and annoying. The Camaro's not so much but with GM's past history of problems with this system, I didn't want to take a chance.

I guess if I ever want to get a new domestic truck without it, I will have to move up to a 3/4 or 1 ton.
Deactivating auto stop and start on a Ford truck is pretty simple
Purchase a trailer light tester for about $10 bucks
Plug it in
The truck thinks it towing a trailer when it’s not
Pretty simple

Plug it in
Pretty simple
What a great idea. I'm going to have to share that with some people I know. They will say thanks. so passing it on now :)

Engines don't grind to a halt the instant they lose oil pressure -- plenty of torture videos on YouTube to prove that. Besides, don't most engines run without oil pressure after an empty oil filter is installed? A thin film of oil on engine parts keeps things moving until oil pressure returns.
When oil pressure is lost, a warning light appears on the dash. If there's an oil pressure gauge, it shows a problem. I'd imagine some models even have a warning chime / sound but not 100% sure. Point being, low or no oil pressure does not equal instant destruction unless you are pushing the engine super hard at the moment. Even then, I would bet that the engine keeps running for a little while before it grenades. So a driver would have to be completely oblivious (or distracted Haha) if they lost oil pressure and kept driving long enough to blow the engine.
Nobody claimed "instant destruction". As your last sentence touches on, most people aren't going to react real fast to total loss of oil supply/pressure, and there will be a time period (way longer than a few seconds) where the engine will be running with no oil pressure or oil supply to the oiling system. The engine may not "destruct", but an engine ran even for a minute with no oil flow will cause some level of excess wear or damage.

Tell that to my 85 mercedes diesel that busted its oil cooler hose. I watched the pressure drop and it spun a bearing withing micro seconds. What if someone floor boards it and it snapped off at high rpm. I'm sure damage will happen.

Plug it in
Pretty simple
I'm not a fan of auto stop either but in the post you quoted I was talking about cylinder deactivation which is something different.

I'm not a fan of auto stop either but in the post you quoted I was talking about cylinder deactivation which is something different.
I’m sorry wtd
Was flipping around the forum and posted to the wrong thread
I apologize
Sorry !

Reactions: wtd
Plug it in
Pretty simple
I think that trick works with some other car brands as well. I'd take it with me to the dealer and do it on the lot after signing the paperwork on delivery day. lol It would be $10 well spent!!

On the F150 there's a white block with 3 plugs in it just above the brake pedal. Unplug the small black one at the bottom.
544648d1518663045-disable-auto-start-stop-seconds-trailer-module.jpg

On the F150 there's a white block with 3 plugs in it just above the brake pedal. Unplug the small black one at the bottom.View attachment 35263
What is the function of that plug?

I've also been told there's a plug where the battery cable connects to the battery than can be unplugged to disable the A.S.S. but it is associated with the alternator. I have Forscan, which makes it easy to disable, but I do have friends who would be interested in an easy method.

Belt in oil configurations have been common for some time now. Honda has been using them in the lawnmower and small engine world for decades! They are impervious to chemicals due to the components used in their makeup. Although I'm not sure I'd want to pour paint stripping Berryman's B12 into a crankcase with a 'belt-in-oil' setup. Glass cord is one way they do it, using specific types of woven, coated or encapsulated glass fibers that have (when properly utilized) a nearly infinite fatigue life. (I'm sure GM can find a way to use a smaller radius pulley and cause belt failure [sarc] within the warranty period) The flexible fibers have flat out amazing tensile strength and the fibers themselves are not prone to cracking due to use. The fibers are also used in the tooth area for strength.

One thing that's often overlooked is the precision such a drive allows. Unlike a chain, there is no significant wear or stretch over time. It's well known that chains wear more rapidly with ultra thin oils. The use of a 'belt-in-oil' eliminates that problem.

It is good to note that infrequent oil changes are now known to degrade belt life. As the coated tooth wear surface is cushioned by oil.

TBIO-2.jpg

I know a lot of people buy a plug in device to stop the cylinder deactivation on GM vehicles. I am not fan of cylinder deactivation either.
It seems to me that it can create a lot of problems with all different vehicles especially once the miles start racking up. I always used a 0 or 5W-20 in my Ford trucks and have not had any problems at all. I use it in my 2014 F-150 5.0 coyote.

Reactions: wtd
My current 2 vehicles have 4 belts combined. With a combined ownership of 26 years on these vehicles I have had 0 belts “snap” off. LOL
Oh yeah, I had one snap off my moms Saturn just yesturday. The power steering pump pully shattered to pieces. Dont think it cant happen.

Back