2021 Escalade at the dealer had black steel wheels that looked like they needed wheel covers?

Only $100K plus fees & taxes?

I'll get two, one for me and one for my wife. Where is the closest dealer, I don't want to miss out as they are sure to be all sold out if I don't get there quickly.

Well....I’m in the market but not paying $105+ for one so I’ll wait and see what happens. The Yukon in my sig stickered for $81 and I believe it was $11k off when I bought it and also got more for trade than I was able to sell it for privately. If an Escalade ESV with the options I want gets into the high 80s maybe I’ll get one. No financing depreciating assets for me but I’m sure plenty of them are. I don’t think $200k in income is enough to buy a $85k+ vehicle.

Everybody has to make their own decisions. Personally-I'm at the stage in life where I have to decide how much I want to spend on a vehicle verses how much inheritance to leave. And yes-MOST vehicles depreciate. As far as income-most vehicles are in excess of $35,000 (new) and the average working income was $70,000.00/yr the last 4 years.

These are called LPOs, or limited production options. When the dealer orders the vehicle, they can select accessories to be dealer installed that will be listed on the window sticker. An accessory distributor (often Hendrick operating as "ADI") then ships the parts separately.
wait, that Hendrick involved in NASCAR and has a small empire of GM and Honda dealerships? I’ve seen guys in the shop install accessories after the fact when I slaved away at the dealership.

I saw a commercial for Holden’s HSV lineup - and there was a video of one being built. It traveled between the now shuttered Port Melbourne plant to HSV on green steelies.

wait, that Hendrick involved in NASCAR and has a small empire of GM and Honda dealerships? I’ve seen guys in the shop install accessories after the fact when I slaved away at the dealership.

I saw a commercial for Holden’s HSV lineup - and there was a video of one being built. It traveled between the now shuttered Port Melbourne plant to HSV on green steelies.
Yep, that Hendrick. They handle accessory distribution for GM in much/all of the US through their company Auto Accessories. If I were to order certain accessories through the normal GM ordering process, I'd have to order a minimum quantity. If I want just one set of steps and not 10, I call Auto Accessories and get just what I need at GM cost shipped overnight from a warehouse in GA. Auto Accessories also handles the LPOs. They ship the parts to us with an orange label that has the VIN on it.

Or they finance them to the hilt..... Back in '11 or so (memory is tied to the SAAB I was buying) I was talking marketing w/ a friend who is an exec at a large dealer group. He had all sorts of stats on demographics by brand, type of vehicle, etc. I was surprised at how low the average annual income was for Cadillac, I want to say it was $61K or so then. I questioned it as that was about average price for many of their models. His answer; credit, we'll pretty much finance anyone one way or another.....

Back, OT, can a customer buy the wheels for Winter snows?
This was on Jalopnik a while ago, someone who manages a GM/Cadillac dealership chimed in. The wheels are shipped back to GM. There is a pretty hefty core charge for the wheels if not returned something like $400+ Per wheel iirc. Pretty sure whatever steel wheels are fitted to Police suburbans would fit in this application. I do like the look of these, honestly the thin sidewall on an SUV/truck looks awful to me give me some 70s or higher please.

Last edited:
@01rangerxl can probably confirm, but I hear there is a hefty core charge on them.
I can't remember what the core charge was, or if they even told us (we've only had 2-3 trucks come in like this and it's been over a year), but I remember it was imperative that we send the cores back. They went right back on the pallet the LPO wheels/tires came in on and off to Auto Accessories. There is no catalog part number for the transit wheels and as such, no pricing.

I work at the Arlington plant that builds them.

We ship those basic black wheels as "throw aways" when customer buys certain option wheel packages. The dealership installs these particular wheel packages and discards the base wheel. They do use the tires and sensors off them.
My only experience with these wheels is on Silverados, but we did have to send them back to the company that sent the LPO wheels. In that case, we sent them back tires and all, because the LPO wheels already had tires mounted and I believe sensors. The process is probably different with Escalades though since so many get dealer installed wheels, and these are finding their way on to eBay and stuff, so obviously some dealers are "discarding" them...

It's nuts that they have you moving the sensors over. What a waste of everyone's time. I know they're a two-piece and there'll be a new stem and seal, but, still, it's dumb.

GM has a splendid and quick relearn sequence, send the buyer with some new sensors for crying out loud.

There's a chance the dealer may have to drive this on the road for a trade, gas, etc, so it needs to meet NHTSA rules including having sensors in the "temporary" rims.

Local dealer has a couple 2020's on their lot at $72K-73K. Wow lets buy a vehicle that depreciates 30% in the first year and fifty percent over three years. That's retail pricing not the trade in value.

Trade in on a 2020 Escalade is looking at close to 40% off retail.

Disagree.......you know you are going to be paying more than a fully loaded Suburban-and those are 80 large. Let's face it...you are not looking in this segment unless you are making $200,000plus a year.
People making 75k a year could buy it, heres how:
In 2014, buy the 2015 Escalade for about 70k with 10% down, about $985 a month, affordable if their house payment is reasonable.
2021 comes around, and the first escalade is paid in full and trades in for 30-35k. Now the new escalade is only about 70k if they got the fully loaded model or about 50K for a low trim after trade in. Interest is lower now too.

Would it be wise to buy one on 75k/year? Not really, but its possible and done all the time.

Or they just sell 3 bit coins they had lying around and pay cash.

Local dealer has a couple 2020's on their lot at $72K-73K. Wow lets buy a vehicle that depreciates 30% in the first year and fifty percent over three years. That's retail pricing not the trade in value.

A basic 2020 Escalade is MSRP 79490 and a direct rebate right now of $9500. Put the same trim into NADA with 12,000 miles and you get a trade in value of 56k. So if you were dumb enough to buy the very last model year of a body style in a big luxury SUV and sell it only a year later you would lose only 20%.

A 2020 MB GLS 450 goes from 77k new to 62k trade in for the same 2020 model year and 12k miles put on. Not sure how much MB discounts from sticker but GM cuts big time on the large SUVs other than right now (event related shortage of vehicles).

The depreciation is not out of line for a luxury SUV.

Not everybody is concerned about having the absolute cheapest ownership experience possible, those types of people don’t buy new luxury vehicles.

Not everybody is concerned about having the absolute cheapest ownership experience possible, those types of people don’t buy new luxury vehicles.
This is BITOG-home of the 300,000mile -$3,000.00 beaters. That's the pinnacle of the ultimate auto ownership experience on here. C'mon there is currently a thread about putting WD-40 on wiper blades to make them last longer....it doesn't get any better than that!

This is BITOG-home of the 300,000mile -$3,000.00 beaters. That's the pinnacle of the ultimate auto ownership experience on here. C'mon there is currently a thread about putting WD-40 on wiper blades to make them last longer....it doesn't get any better than that!
We drove those beaters in order to grow our wealth and buy nicer cars later on.

People making 75k a year could buy it, heres how:
In 2014, buy the 2015 Escalade for about 70k with 10% down, about $985 a month, affordable if their house payment is reasonable.
2021 comes around, and the first escalade is paid in full and trades in for 30-35k. Now the new escalade is only about 70k if they got the fully loaded model or about 50K for a low trim after trade in. Interest is lower now too.

Would it be wise to buy one on 75k/year? Not really, but its possible and done all the time.

Or they just sell 3 bit coins they had lying around and pay cash.
Even easier, if the dealer would offer say a 30 year repayment plan (like a mortgage) at 6% interest the monthly payments on a $100k loan could be brought down to about $600, no down payment needed!

I can't believe that folks haven't yet hired me as their financial advisor, I got lots more ideas like this one.

Or they finance them to the hilt..... Back in '11 or so (memory is tied to the SAAB I was buying) I was talking marketing w/ a friend who is an exec at a large dealer group. He had all sorts of stats on demographics by brand, type of vehicle, etc. I was surprised at how low the average annual income was for Cadillac, I want to say it was $61K or so then. I questioned it as that was about average price for many of their models. His answer; credit, we'll pretty much finance anyone one way or another.....

Back, OT, can a customer buy the wheels for Winter snows?

I was thinking the same thing about winter tires......

Even easier, if the dealer would offer say a 30 year repayment plan (like a mortgage) at 6% interest the monthly payments on a $100k loan could be brought down to about $600, no down payment needed!

I can't believe that folks haven't yet hired me as their financial advisor, I got lots more ideas like this one.
Currently, on non exotics, you can only get 84 months, but interest goes up 1.5% or more vs a 72. So your 100k no down escalade loan at 72 and 2.99 is 1519/month and the 84 @ 4.49% only reduces it to 1389 per month. if you cant afford on a 72, your buying way too much car.

yeah but you can only currently get about 7yrs (84mos) out of lenders as of now...lol....how long will it take before we see 8+ yrs offered???

I think if a manufacturer is going to offer a 72 or 84 or 96 month loan on a vehicle, the warranty should be that long also. But I am just a parts drone.

Might as well just have 30 year conventional loans on cars so everyone can afford top tier stuff. Everyone involved in the process makes a bigger commission, banks can roll those auto loans into investment packages for institutions to buy (AAA grade!), yada yada..

Back