2021 Escalade at the dealer had black steel wheels that looked like they needed wheel covers?

I am not in the market for one but I drove through a Cadillac dealer and notice an Escalade with a $104,910 sticker price that had black steel wheels on all four. It looked like wheel covers would be added later like the old days. The factory sticker said $1,995 for " 12-spoke chrome alloy wheels (DLR install-replaces STK/PKG wheels)

Anyone know what the deal is with this? Why the ridiculously cheap wheels from the factory and the dealer puts good ones on later?

I am not in the market for one but I drove through a Cadillac dealer and notice an Escalade with a $104,910 sticker price that had black steel wheels on all four. It looked like wheel covers would be added later like the old days. The factory sticker said $1,995 for " 12-spoke chrome alloy wheels (DLR install-replaces STK/PKG wheels)

Anyone know what the deal is with this? Why the ridiculously cheap wheels from the factory and the dealer puts good ones on later?
Cadillac is doing that now

If you see a CT5 with red transit wheels, they get the ordered wheels swapped on at PDI

I sure hope they are going to do $20k+ off sticker once the newness wears off. All the Escalades at my dealer are $104-114k which just blows my mind. The interiors are nice and all but ****!

These are called LPOs, or limited production options. When the dealer orders the vehicle, they can select accessories to be dealer installed that will be listed on the window sticker. An accessory distributor (often Hendrick operating as "ADI") then ships the parts separately. In this case it would be a pallet of wheels with tires mounted and TPMS sensors installed. The steel wheels are sent back as cores.

Obviously there's no missing the wheels, but it amazes me how many vehicles leave the lot missing LPOs. A cargo net okay, but a $2000+ rear seat entertainment system in a Suburban? It happens, check your window sticker!

I work at the Arlington plant that builds them.

We ship those basic black wheels as "throw aways" when customer buys certain option wheel packages. The dealership installs these particular wheel packages and discards the base wheel. They do use the tires and sensors off them.

Some are.
Disagree.......you know you are going to be paying more than a fully loaded Suburban-and those are 80 large. Let's face it...you are not looking in this segment unless you are making $200,000plus a year.

Disagree.......you know you are going to be paying more than a fully loaded Suburban-and those are 80 large. Let's face it...you are not looking in this segment unless you are making $200,000plus a year.
Or they finance them to the hilt..... Back in '11 or so (memory is tied to the SAAB I was buying) I was talking marketing w/ a friend who is an exec at a large dealer group. He had all sorts of stats on demographics by brand, type of vehicle, etc. I was surprised at how low the average annual income was for Cadillac, I want to say it was $61K or so then. I questioned it as that was about average price for many of their models. His answer; credit, we'll pretty much finance anyone one way or another.....

Back, OT, can a customer buy the wheels for Winter snows?

Last edited:

Well....I’m in the market but not paying $105+ for one so I’ll wait and see what happens. The Yukon in my sig stickered for $81 and I believe it was $11k off when I bought it and also got more for trade than I was able to sell it for privately. If an Escalade ESV with the options I want gets into the high 80s maybe I’ll get one. No financing depreciating assets for me but I’m sure plenty of them are. I don’t think $200k in income is enough to buy a $85k+ vehicle.

Back