2021 Durango R/T Tow and Go package

Just heard about this today. You get most of the SRT stuff with the 5.7 engine and a lower price tag, 52k. Tow rating 8700 lbs.

Great setup for somebody who wants a daily driver that can tow a reasonable amount.

They could have called it the SRT Junior or SRT 5.7 instead of “R/T Tow and Go Package”.

52k gets the 5.7 hemi
62k gets 6.4 hemi
80k gets the Hellcat 6.2 hemi

Yep, 3 V8 choices, ‘Murica! Now we know who is buying those tesla carbon credits...

It has a a wheelbase just shy of 120". In comparison a 4Runner has a 109" wheelbase. While the Durango has plenty of power for towing-a trailer much over 25 feet would result in "the tail wagging the dog".

Shorter wheelbases not good for towing any length.

Still wish they’d give it a power bump. It’s the lowest output out of all the 5.7 equipped vehicles and hasn’t changed since 2011. 360hp and 390lb ft is pretty good though, the 5.7 gets a pretty respectable, for a 5,000lb AWD tank, 0-60 in ~6.6 seconds, 3.6 is a second behind it. Even the cars get a bit more power, the trucks active runner intake won’t fit though.

They said they’ll make as many Hellcats as people order, but for 1 year only due to changing emissions regulations. And yes, I’m convinced they’re buying all of Tesla’s carbon credits lol

They said they’ll make as many Hellcats as people order, but for 1 year only due to changing emissions regulations. And yes, I’m convinced they’re buying all of Tesla’s carbon credits lol

FCA is Tesla's most important customer lol. Tesla pretty much survives off government money.

FCA is Tesla's most important customer lol. Tesla pretty much survives off government money.
If it means they can keep cramming v8’s into things then I’m perfectly okay with it!

Real question is when are they going to put a Hellcat into a Pacifica? I’m sure the ZF 9 speed can handle it 🤣

It has a a wheelbase just shy of 120". In comparison a 4Runner has a 109" wheelbase. While the Durango has plenty of power for towing-a trailer much over 25 feet would result in "the tail wagging the dog".

Shorter wheelbases not good for towing any length.

I had no issues towing boats with my previous GC SRT, which has an even shorter wheelbase. Make sure the tongue is properly weighted and it's a non-event. Both boats, on trailer, are definitely longer than 25 feet.

I had no issues towing boats with my previous GC SRT, which has an even shorter wheelbase. Make sure the tongue is properly weighted and it's a non-event. Both boats, on trailer, are definitely longer than 25 feet.

Boats are a whole different situation than towing a boxey travel trailer. With that being said-a short wheelbase tow vehicle IS NOT IDEAL whatever one tows.

Boats are a whole different situation than towing a boxey travel trailer. With that being said-a short wheelbase tow vehicle IS NOT IDEAL whatever one tows.

Fair enough, I primarily tow boats, I've not towed a travel trailer with either vehicle. The truck is a more "relaxed" tow, I assume due to the longer wheelbase and solid rear axle, but I've never had a hint of sway with either trailer behind the Jeep, it's just more "twitchy" due to the huge tires and shorter wheelbase.

Speaking of trailers and short wheelbases, I encountered a small Hyundai SUV pulling a massive travel trailer last week and it was a sketchy looking rig. I believe it was a Tucson? That's got a 105" wheelbase :ROFLMAO:

Fair enough, I primarily tow boats, I've not towed a travel trailer with either vehicle. The truck is a more "relaxed" tow, I assume due to the longer wheelbase and solid rear axle, but I've never had a hint of sway with either trailer behind the Jeep, it's just more "twitchy" due to the huge tires and shorter wheelbase.

Speaking of trailers and short wheelbases, I encountered a small Hyundai SUV pulling a massive travel trailer last week and it was a sketchy looking rig. I believe it was a Tucson? That's got a 105" wheelbase :ROFLMAO:

I towed a 25 foot travel trailer with a 4Runner that had the V8. It did OK. Not a very stable rig with crosswinds. I guess you can tow anything with any vehicle-but you get a couple of semi trucks passing you-creating a vortex-thus a sway situation that's when you want a pickup truck.

The person i was talking to about this wants a smaller than F150 crew cab daily driver that can also pull a boat. I figured CKN would be in here laying down the towing knowledge. I wouldn't want to tow a box with a durango either. I'd tow a boat with one, not that i would own a boat.

Skippy722 yeah the output is a bit less than we would like to see on paper for the 5.7 but i think it will do fine. 360hp is technically enough to keep a semi truck cruising with 80k lbs.

In this space of "smaller than a crew cab truck" that can still tow, there isn't much choice. You can buy a Toyota Land Cruiser for a large sum. The new Expedition and Tahoe are quite big.

Saw me a Durango R/T on the way home that gave me a little rev as he passed. Had to look up the stats. Literally identical performance to my CX5.

I really like how Chrysler's look, to be honest, and their paint color options are excellent.

Saw me a Durango R/T on the way home that gave me a little rev as he passed. Had to look up the stats. Literally identical performance to my CX5.

I really like how Chrysler's look, to be honest, and their paint color options are excellent.
Except Wet Concrete... I mean “Destroyer” gray.

Back