2021 CRV 1.5t Castrol 0w40 6k mi

Screenshot_20220718-183936_Drive.jpg
First oci was at 600mi with qs 5w40
That ran 3k, put in some 5w30 ish mix qs and rtgt
last one was the same oil.
This car sees a healthy mixed driving, including 1 hr hwy runs, has no excuse to yield a 3cst drop in viscosity, but it is an earth dream. Refilled with the same, want to see a sample after not changing the filter.

I don’t see fuel percentage? Maybe the viscosity is low because of fuel dilution?
Yes, these dilute heavily. They can't warm up for nothing, in a 35 degree day, the heater will drop the gauge back to cold within a drive through visit.

Considering this was the 3rd or 4th oil change, the sample does seem to have a lot of iron (5ppm/1k miles). I realize a UOA is the wrong tool for evaluating the condition of the engine, but this may bear watching. You might even want to consider going to the Honda-spec’d 0w-20 to see if it makes a difference.

On our '18 CRV, iron was at 21ppm at 24k miles; copper at 4ppm and aluminum at 6ppm. Based on your miles lower miles, you're probably right in line with that. Viscosity drop is due to fuel dilution, which is common in these engines. I switched to a 5W30 so the ending viscosity would be in the 20 grade range.

On our '18 CRV, iron was at 21ppm at 24k miles; copper at 4ppm and aluminum at 6ppm. Based on your miles lower miles, you're probably right in line with that. Viscosity drop is due to fuel dilution, which is common in these engines. I switched to a 5W30 so the ending viscosity would be in the 20 grade range.

Blackstone says universal averages are 15 ppm on a run of 6k or so. Splitting hairs, I guess, but if the OP is going to continue with UOAs I still think this is worth watching.

Blackstone says universal averages are 15 ppm on a run of 6k or so. Splitting hairs, I guess, but if the OP is going to continue with UOAs I still think this is worth watching.
Keep in mind universal averages are based on all years of this engine so it includes cars that have many more miles. Break in reports are a small percentage of total reports. I think you’re right though that it doesn’t hurt to keep an eye out. Maybe resample at 30 k.

Back